Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Beware of SE fork oil  (Read 42906 times)

cyril

• I
  • Elite CVO Member
  • If it ain`t broke keep fixin it till it is !
Re: Beware of SE fork oil
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2010, 02:47:15 PM »

I have recently changed from an 08 SEUC to an 09 . I have the rear pressure how i like it but the front is a much stiffer /harsh ride. Assuming the oil has not been changed by the previous owner what could i do to soften the front end a little ? The bike has 4000 miles and due to sciatica & bad weather this weekend was only my 2nd ride . Outside temp on Sunday 2 degrees .
Does this bike have different weight fork oil then the 08 ? Your comments welcomed
If it aint broke keep fixin it till it is

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2010, 03:38:44 PM »

I have recently changed from an 08 SEUC to an 09 . I have the rear pressure how i like it but the front is a much stiffer /harsh ride. Assuming the oil has not been changed by the previous owner what could i do to soften the front end a little ? The bike has 4000 miles and due to sciatica & bad weather this weekend was only my 2nd ride . Outside temp on Sunday 2 degrees .
Does this bike have different weight fork oil then the 08 ? Your comments welcomed

Each of us has a different perspective on "ride quality".
It seems strange to ME that you are satisfied with the ride of the rear shocks!
BUT. if it works for you, do it!
The forks should NOT have been serviced with only 4000 miles, but, you never know if someone has gone into them.
I think if it was my bike, I'd change the oil in the forks, and measure in the correct amount, not that much $$$$, and you will be sure to know you have the right stuff.
My stock '10 fork oil in the stock forks works wonderful for ME, and I like my suspension (so does my BSR!!!)
You may have to do some trial and error before you get what you want.
I have heard that the '08 and '09 front forks are different internally, spring rate, valves, etc.
I hope this helps a little.

;D
HOGMIKE

cyril

• I
  • Elite CVO Member
  • If it ain`t broke keep fixin it till it is !
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2010, 06:23:58 AM »

Thanks i will have it checked out
If it aint broke keep fixin it till it is

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • tradition`s not worship ash but pass on the fire

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2010, 01:07:04 AM »

yes.  I just changed to the SE fork oil and so far....so good.  It has really helped with the shock 'dive' on hard front wheel braking.  I'll let you know how it does in the handling dept. after I get a chance to head to the mtns. for some twisties.  ;) spyder

@Spyder : Any reports about the handling with the heavier fork oil ?
Success is to stand up one more than to fall down

480Ruger

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2010, 04:00:51 AM »

Indenial,
The new monotubes from Progressive have a cartridge and lower spring setup and like you said only use 10W fork oil to lube the lower section and springs.  Totally different from stock.  I used Bel-Ray 10W.  After just 6K the Harley oil looked terrible.  If I was still using the stock front setup I would change the fork oil every 10K at a minimum.  But what do I know I just like to tinker and by no means am I a mechanic.
03 FLSTFI
   95" stage 3
04 VRSCB
   PC-3
   Rhineharts
10 FLHTCUSE5
   Bub 7 TDX
   Zipper's MaxFlow
   Tmax

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2010, 02:41:30 PM »

@Spyder : Any reports about the handling with the heavier fork oil ?
NOt yet, sorry.  Too hot to ride around these parts lately.  100 degrees in the shade is not comfortable sitting on a twin-cam in the sun.  :sunny:  har.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

reo

• Elite CVO Member
  • Got Chrome ?

• CVO1: Red FLSTFSE
    • CVO2: B&B FLHTCSE
    • royogren.com/gallery/
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2010, 02:51:23 PM »

NOt yet, sorry.  Too hot to ride around these parts lately.  100 degrees in the shade is not comfortable sitting on a twin-cam in the sun.  :sunny:  har.  spyder

I thought you were putting Ricor "Intimidators" in your front end?

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2010, 03:10:50 PM »

I thought you were putting Ricor "Intimidators" in your front end?
They're still in the box Roy.  Mixed reviews from others on the site have me dragging my feet on this one.  :nervous: And I'm too 'cheep' to go 1st class w/ the Traxxion like my other friends on this wonder$ull site.  :( :P har.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

reo

• Elite CVO Member
  • Got Chrome ?

• royogren.com/gallery/
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2010, 03:30:06 PM »

They're still in the box Roy.  Mixed reviews from others on the site have me dragging my feet on this one.  :nervous: And I'm too 'cheep' to go 1st class w/ the Traxxion like my other friends on this wonder$ull site.  :( :P har.  spyder

I haven't seen mixed reviews on the Ricor product but can only explain my review from installing on my SEEG/SEFB. The SEEG has absolutely no bottoming and even when ridden in the absolute most aggressive fashion (maybe by me) it doesn't bottom. I have been up @ speed (80mph+) on one of those back roads hitting an unavoidable pot hole, (the kind that you know is going to go up your spine) and the Ricors just interpet the dampening just as you would like soaking up the bump without bottoming. At slow speeds they allow the correct dampening to ride in a smooth fashion allowing a smooth travel. The key is using the correct oil they suggest and getting the correct amount in as measured. I am very happy with these valves and considerer this to be one of the best additions to my SEEG.

The SEFB is a little softer maybe a little to soft for me, I don't even feel the curb at the end of my driveway when pulling in. The only issue I have is on a newly paved wavy road when riding non aggressively about 45mpg I feel like the front end is bouncy. Its a very slight unevenness most people wouldn't pick up and would probably like the softer ride but something in my picky kind of way will address when I get more time.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2010, 03:54:13 PM »

I haven't seen mixed reviews on the Ricor product but can only explain my review from installing on my SEEG/SEFB. The SEEG has absolutely no bottoming and even when ridden in the absolute most aggressive fashion (maybe by me) it doesn't bottom. I have been up @ speed (80mph+) on one of those back roads hitting an unavoidable pot hole, (the kind that you know is going to go up your spine) and the Ricors just interpet the dampening just as you would like soaking up the bump without bottoming. At slow speeds they allow the correct dampening to ride in a smooth fashion allowing a smooth travel. The key is using the correct oil they suggest and getting the correct amount in as measured. I am very happy with these valves and considerer this to be one of the best additions to my SEEG.

The SEFB is a little softer maybe a little to soft for me, I don't even feel the curb at the end of my driveway when pulling in. The only issue I have is on a newly paved wavy road when riding non aggressively about 45mpg I feel like the front end is bouncy. Its a very slight unevenness most people wouldn't pick up and would probably like the softer ride but something in my picky kind of way will address when I get more time.
Good to know........I'll probably put mine in when I get a chance.....I was ready to before and got ready to drop 'em in and found out that they had sent the larger size (wouldn't fit).....now they're replaced w/ correct ones but I just dropped the SE Oil in and am trying that.  So far I like the non-diving aspect of it and it doesn't seem to ride too harsh.  Don't know how the high speed cornering is yet though.  My buddy Nite-Al tried them and took back out right away...said they  made his bike ride horrible...kinda like when a tire is over-inflated and you feel every pebble you run over.  Hard to get it all in one set-up.  spyder

reo

• Elite CVO Member
  • Got Chrome ?

• royogren.com/gallery/
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2010, 04:19:30 PM »

Good to know........I'll probably put mine in when I get a chance.....I was ready to before and got ready to drop 'em in and found out that they had sent the larger size (wouldn't fit).....now they're replaced w/ correct ones but I just dropped the SE Oil in and am trying that.  So far I like the non-diving aspect of it and it doesn't seem to ride too harsh.  Don't know how the high speed cornering is yet though.  My buddy Nite-Al tried them and took back out right away...said they  made his bike ride horrible...kinda like when a tire is over-inflated and you feel every pebble you run over.  Hard to get it all in one set-up.  spyder

Kind of wonder if he had the right oil in there, they recommend an Amsoil synthetic blend of shock oil #5.

The purpose of the lighter oil is to flow through the existing offices in the dampening rods easier allowing the Intimidator valves to change the rate of dampening when the speed of the bump increases, slick idea and it simply works. 

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2010, 04:29:58 PM »

Kind of wonder if he had the right oil in there, they recommend an Amsoil synthetic blend of shock oil #5.

The purpose of the lighter oil is to flow through the existing offices in the dampening rods easier allowing the Intimidator valves to change the rate of dampening when the speed of the bump increases, slick idea and it simply works. 
He said he used the Amsoil they sent with the valves & put in the correct amt.  Maybe he just didn't like the firmer feel, don't know.  I'll probably do the change this winter, just pleased with the heavier SE oil right now. Good to hear your feedback on them though.  ;) spyder
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 22 queries.