Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: New Windshields for ConV!  (Read 10561 times)

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
Re: New Windshields for ConV!
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2010, 06:20:00 PM »

Well, within the week we should see what the MoCo is going to offer as a fix for the problems with wind buffeting we are experiencing with the stock shield.  As for me, at this point, I will be focusing on a FatBoy shield of Lexan if MoCo doesn't impress me.  I would expect there will be a run on FatBoy shields if it is the latter.  Only issue there is not using what we paid big bucks for.  However, it's only $$$$$.................... good, honest review, Goldfar.  Thanks. 
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 06:21:46 PM by porkypig »

Gamma742

• Senior CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE Red
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2010, 09:24:56 AM »

Here is the definitive answer (as best I can give it) on the best "other" windshield for the Conv.

I ordered the CeeBailey and received it a week ago.  I ordered the Plus 8" height in light tint (since I would be looking through it).  The install was easy, remove the 4 bolts that hold the existing "mini" windshield, swap shields, return bolts.  There was a warning sticker on the new shield that said to use a pounds per inch torque  wrench and tightened to x number of inch/pounds or whatever or you may crack the shield.  I simply snugged them up - no cracking so far.  Then I took a ride and got her up to at least 85 mph.  Seemed like a lot of wind coming in from the sides around top of rearview mirror height.

Next, I "borrowed" a Fat Boy windshield from the best dealer around, Killer Creek.  The Fat Boy shield is what Blueyz0416 uses on her Conv.  It is about the same height but just a few inches WIDER.  Guess what, guys - those 2 inches made all the difference in the world!  Much less buffeting, etc.  Plus, the Fat Boy shield is Lexan, the CeeBailey is acrylic.  I bought the Fat Boy shield and will use that most of the time.

Bear in mind, the CeeBailey shield incorporates the color matched mini faring that comes with our bikes, the Fat Boy does not.  So the "How does it look" issue becomes one of personal preference.  All I can say is that the fat Boy shield does what you would expect from a windshield, BLOCK THE WIND, the other does not.

Sorry it didn't wok out for you I was considering the +4 shield for my wife's bike. I guess I'll go for the fatboy shield.
2017 Road King
2010 Convertible

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2010, 09:12:17 AM »

So........did anybody get to the "big show" this weekend where we were supposed to find out if Harley is going to remedy the deficiency of the windshield that we all have???   Are they going to produce a replacement lense that is satisfactory or will we all have to go with a Fatboy shield like some have been talking??  Or is there still the "big show" that hasn't happened yet???   

HermitIX

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE CVO Softail Convertible - Autumn Mist/Crimson Red
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2010, 10:31:49 AM »

I recently purchased a Crimson red 2010 Softail Convertible. After reading the posts I just ordered the 4" Ceebailey's dark gray windshield to replace the useless one from the factory. I don't have high expectations, but figure it has to block more wind than the factory edition and will retain the stock look..... at least somewhat.

I'm thinking of also buying the Fat Boy windshield mentioned often on this string. Can anyone tell me the specific HD part number? Is it going to be fast and simple to change from one windshield to the other? I'd like to use the dark gray ceebailey's version for on town and the taller clear fat boy version for longer trips or nightime use.

My dealership expressed concern that it likely wouldn't be a simple to swap from one to the other. They said additional bushings/longer screws were required for one of their customers who retrofitted a 2009 Heritage Softail windshield.  Apparently the upper mounting distance was different. They seemed totally clueless as to which "Fat Boy" windshield I was talking about that should be an easy swap. Any help/advise would be greatly appreciated. Once I have a part number I'll head back to my dealer. Thanks.

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 FLSTFSE (Platinum)
    • CVO2: 10 FLHXSE (Teq Sun)
    • CVO3: 10 FLSTSE (Scarlet)
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2010, 05:42:01 PM »

See post 27 and 29

this post was too confusing.

wiz
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 09:48:39 PM by Mr. Wizard »

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2010, 05:47:14 PM »

So........did anybody get to the "big show" this weekend where we were supposed to find out if Harley is going to remedy the deficiency of the windshield that we all have???   Are they going to produce a replacement lense that is satisfactory or will we all have to go with a Fatboy shield like some have been talking??  Or is there still the "big show" that hasn't happened yet???   

Hey Porky

BE and I went to the show in Atlanta, saw goldfar and his lovely better half there too... this show was small and had no HD factory representation that I could find. We did however enjoy ourselves but lost goldfar in the crowd. After looking for them to say bye we had to book but we never found them again. Hope they didn't get bikejacked.  :confused5:

Sorry dude.

HermitIX

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2010, 02:42:12 AM »

Thanks for the help Mr. Wizard. I put the Fat Boy windshield on and it works extremely well. I like the way it looks far more than I thought I would. I just received the 4" taller dark Ceebaileys windshield I ordered, but haven't tried it out yet. I'll let everyone know how that one works out soon.

Thanks to all who have posted such good information on windshield options.

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2010, 11:59:45 AM »

Thanks for the help Mr. Wizard. I put the Fat Boy windshield on and it works extremely well. I like the way it looks far more than I thought I would. I just received the 4" taller dark Ceebaileys windshield I ordered, but haven't tried it out yet. I'll let everyone know how that one works out soon.

Thanks to all who have posted such good information on windshield options.

If I remember correctly, goldfar purchased the Ceebailey's but sent it back after trying the fatboy shield. You may want to chat him up to see what was up with that.

Don't want to sound like a one man cheering section for a windshield and am not trying to knock anyone's product here. It's all personal preference. We just prefer the classic look and the functionality of the fatboy shield over the stock shield/fairing.

goldfar

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2010, 12:18:36 PM »

Yes guys, I did try out a CeeBaileys shield and sent it back.  Look back to page 1 of this topic and you will see the details (essentially, wind and buffeting coming from the SIDES of the shield). 

Eventually got a Fat Boy shield and am satisfied.
2010 Screaming Eagle Softail Convertible
Crimson Red/Autum Haze

HermitIX

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2010, 02:08:57 PM »

I read goldfar's post and certainly respect everything he said. His opinion was the primary reason I purchased the fatboy version, even though I was concerned I might not like it from a styling perspective.  I decided to get the ceebailey's +4" dark windshield as well only because I really like the looks of the stock windshield. My reasoning was that the ceebailey's +4" has to provide at least a little bit better protection than the stock version, which I really like from a styling perspective. I'm sure goldfar is 100% correct that even the ceebailey's +8" doesn't provide nearly the protection of the Fatboy version, but I just wasn't ready to wrap the beautiful, yet useless, stock windshield in a blanket and store it in the attic.

In my opinion, the best thing about these CVO convertibles is the ability to quickly change the appearance/functionality of the bike. Now I can quickly go from the ceebailey's red/dark windshield to the taller clear fatboy HD windshield or even to no windshield at all. These  3 different windshield options, combined with the ability to easily remove or install the sissy bars and/or bags on the back allows me to switch between a totel of 12 different versions of the same motorcycle.

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2010, 08:44:26 PM »

Yes, and don't forget the combinations that materialize once you add the available trunk.  Just remember you have to get the docking kit or you won't be able to have your saddlebags on with the trunk.  But, I guess that is one of the combinations that may be desireable.......  geesh........ :nervous:  so many options; so many decisions......so little wintertime left......  but summahtime's comin' !

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2010, 08:54:36 PM »

The part number is 58278-95. We have the lightly smoked, low profile. Got it new off of Ebay for a lot less than MSRP at HD.
No need to change any mounting hardware. They interchange in minutes.

Well, Wiz, I am just about ready to get on board with this windshield thing.  If you're sure of the part number for application on this convertible, and that it comes with all hardware, then I'm sold.  Getting tired of this "eggbeater" on the front of the bike.  You did mention that they interchange in minutes.  Not sure what you mean there.  This windshield comes off in like 10 seconds and my old one on the 05 Heritage went on in like 20 seconds.  Is that what you mean??  "quickly??"  Planning to get one out of LakeshoreHarley while they are having their Daytona special.  No shipping charges and it should be about $302 total.  Money well spent!!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 08:58:23 PM by porkypig »

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2010, 09:31:54 PM »

The Lexan® windshield is formed from hard-coated polycarbonate material to resist scratching and abrasion. Polished stainless steel mounting brackets are supported by molded-rubber bushings for improved isolation. It is offered in a standard-height clear Lexan® or three-inch lower than stock, low-profile lightly smoked Lexan® shield. Comes complete with all the hardware required to fit FLSTC, FLSTF and FLSTN models without auxiliary lamps. (Chrome Wind Deflector Kit P/N 58125-90A can be used with this windshield kit on '99-earlier models. Windshield will not fit with auxiliary lamps.)

Porky

Go HERE and look at what I am. There are two part numbers shown in my previous post. I have the 58278-95, low profile-lightly smoked. It is 17.5" tall from the center headlight cutout to the top of the shield or 18.75" from the top of the headlight.

I'm 5'11" and can see over it just fine and wouldn't want a taller one.

Both shields will work on the ConV. It will come with mounting hardware but you won't need it. It will take you the same time to put it on as it takes for you to put on a Heritage shield.

edit:  I'm not 5" tall..   :nixweiss:   ;D
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 09:57:53 PM by Mr. Wizard »

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2010, 11:56:05 PM »

By that I assume you mean that the new one comes with "extra" mounting hardware that you may normally mount on the bike.  But this bike already has mounting hardware so it isn';t needed.  Right? 
Good enough for me.  Probably tomorrow I will place my order. 
Pork

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2010, 09:00:56 AM »

By that I assume you mean that the new one comes with "extra" mounting hardware that you may normally mount on the bike.  But this bike already has mounting hardware so it isn';t needed.  Right?  
Good enough for me.  Probably tomorrow I will place my order.  
Pork

The windshield will come ready to mount out of the box. Use this box to store the old fairing and shield. The new shield will come with a separate hardware pack that will have the (extra) bolts and bushings for installing on a virgin bike. Since the ConV already has these mounting bolts and bushings in place you don't need the hardware pack. Save this hardware pack in case you sell the windshield down the road. It will make it easier to sell if you ever decide to trade your ConV and put the stock shield back on.

When you get one Porky, be sure you get the right one. By that I mean, either the stock height or the low profile. Again, we have the low profile which has a smoke tint. Goldfar purchased the stock height and it's clear. There is a three inch height difference in the two shields.

58278-95 = low profile smoke tint

58243-95 = standard height clear

The low profile is more expensive than the standard by about 23 bucks.

Be sure to check out a nice windshield bag too. It will fit nicely and add to the new look. THIS ONE is the one wifey has. Clean lines and large chrome buckle. About 100 bucks retail.

:2vrolijk_21:

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 21 queries.