Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: J&M CFRG-HRUC  (Read 4700 times)

07SEUC_KC

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE6
J&M CFRG-HRUC
« on: January 09, 2010, 05:41:42 PM »

Anybody using the J&M CFRG-HRUC & CFRG-ZUMO550 on 2006 & later HK system. Would like to know your experience and thoughts of this unit. A little pricey but I have alway had good luck with J&M

Opossum

• Blue is Faster
  • Senior CVO Member
  • “Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
    • TX

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Ultra Limited Jupiter Blue and Wicked Sapphire
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus (gone but not forgotten)
Re: J&M CFRG-HRUC
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 09:23:07 PM »

Anybody using the J&M CFRG-HRUC & CFRG-ZUMO550 on 2006 & later HK system. Would like to know your experience and thoughts of this unit. A little pricey but I have alway had good luck with J&M
is that the rig for the phone?
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"

07SEUC_KC

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 09:39:46 PM »

Trey767

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 10:42:00 PM »

you are right it is pricey, I got it on my 06 ultra; and it isn't worth the price to me. (IMO) I don't want any one from J&M stressing me. The reason is that I was limited to the AUX mode and what the Zumo 550 has. i.e what ever songs I have on my Ipod or the Zumo. You loose FM/AM/XM/CD.
 Now on my 09 I have the zumo 660 with the CellSet MC/GPS3 Audio Interface by Kennedy Technology Group - it Allows a combo GPS/Music/Bluetooth device ( Zumo 550) to connect to both the Auxiliary Input AND the Intercom, using an external switch. This allows music to be heard from the combo device through the auxiliary input, but still permits voice prompts & phone calls through the intercom if listening to AM/FM/CD. I got it from cyclegadget.com, now let me tell you if you have no tech skills and don't wanted to deal with pulling out the service manual,and pulling pins and re-wireing. This is not for you, you may have to take it to a dealer so tech. But trust me it is worth it. Far better that J&M.

For those who have experienced the joy, no explanation is necessary; for those who have not, no explanation is possible.

Hogtunes Front/Rear speakers
Fullsac 2.5 cores
J&M 250 Amp
Hawg Wired 6.5 lowers
Ride Time LED lights
Dakota digital dash gauges
Saddlebag extensions
Clearview windshield/vent
BigSky oil cooler fan
HD rear Envelope LED's
Zumo 665

07SEUC_KC

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 11:01:01 PM »

you are right it is pricey, I got it on my 06 ultra; and it isn't worth the price to me. (IMO) I don't want any one from J&M stressing me. The reason is that I was limited to the AUX mode and what the Zumo 550 has. i.e what ever songs I have on my Ipod or the Zumo. You loose FM/AM/XM/CD.
 Now on my 09 I have the zumo 660 with the CellSet MC/GPS3 Audio Interface by Kennedy Technology Group - it Allows a combo GPS/Music/Bluetooth device ( Zumo 550) to connect to both the Auxiliary Input AND the Intercom, using an external switch. This allows music to be heard from the combo device through the auxiliary input, but still permits voice prompts & phone calls through the intercom if listening to AM/FM/CD. I got it from cyclegadget.com, now let me tell you if you have no tech skills and don't wanted to deal with pulling out the service manual,and pulling pins and re-wireing. This is not for you, you may have to take it to a dealer so tech. But trust me it is worth it. Far better that J&M.

So I am a little confused. Per J&M I do not loose CB/XM/AM/FM/CD unless I am toggled for a call. If I am listening to XM on the HK (which is 90% of the time) I will here a tone in the left headset speaker when a call comes in. Flip switch and answer call on Zumo or Iphone. If Zumo has a route command it will be heard in the Right headset speaker. I understand I will loose IPOD fuction but I can deal with that. Am I correct?

Opossum

• Blue is Faster
  • Senior CVO Member
  • “Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
    • TX

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Ultra Limited Jupiter Blue and Wicked Sapphire
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 12:12:33 AM »

Now on my 09 I have the zumo 660 with the CellSet MC/GPS3 Audio Interface by Kennedy Technology Group - it Allows a combo GPS/Music/Bluetooth device ( Zumo 550) to connect to both the Auxiliary Input AND the Intercom, using an external switch. This allows music to be heard from the combo device through the auxiliary input, but still permits voice prompts & phone calls through the intercom if listening to AM/FM/CD. I got it from cyclegadget.com, now let me tell you if you have no tech skills and don't wanted to deal with pulling out the service manual,and pulling pins and rewiring. This is not for you, you may have to take it to a dealer so tech. But trust me it is worth it. Far better that J&M.
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=21556.msg672305#new this guy has a great product too (bissjim) I have the kennedy cell/mic rig on mine (off the '08 Ultra)  couple a buds found the BOMM from Jim and two wires and its a wrap, wish I had of found it sooner.
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"

07SEUC_KC

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 12:21:37 AM »

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=21556.msg672305#new this guy has a great product too (bissjim) I have the kennedy cell/mic rig on mine (off the '08 Ultra)  couple a buds found the BOMM from Jim and two wires and its a wrap, wish I had of found it sooner.

Recieved two BOMM units from Jim and both did not work. Must say he gave me good customer service. He told me there is a small percentage that he has issues with. Refunded my monies promptly.

Trey767

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 04:27:25 AM »

So I am a little confused. Per J&M I do not loose CB/XM/AM/FM/CD unless I am toggled for a call. If I am listening to XM on the HK (which is 90% of the time) I will here a tone in the left headset speaker when a call comes in. Flip switch and answer call on Zumo or Iphone. If Zumo has a route command it will be heard in the Right headset speaker. I understand I will loose IPOD fuction but I can deal with that. Am I correct?
Give the guys at cyclegaget.com a call and you can do you eval. I have J&M on may 06 and when I can I'm going put the cellset on that. I can say that the J&M system is alot easier to install. Plug and play Cellset is not.

For those who have experienced the joy, no explanation is necessary; for those who have not, no explanation is possible.

Hogtunes Front/Rear speakers
Fullsac 2.5 cores
J&M 250 Amp
Hawg Wired 6.5 lowers
Ride Time LED lights
Dakota digital dash gauges
Saddlebag extensions
Clearview windshield/vent
BigSky oil cooler fan
HD rear Envelope LED's
Zumo 665

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 09:14:20 PM »

Recieved two BOMM units from Jim and both did not work. Must say he gave me good customer service. He told me there is a small percentage that he has issues with. Refunded my monies promptly.

Did you power the mic by turning on the intercom? Mine didn't work after the install and I checked and rechecked the wiring and it was correct. I emailed Jim and he called me promptly. He told me I had to provide enough power to the mic by turning on the intercom and when I did, it worked. That wasn't in the instructions, however. Maybe most people know it but I didn't (the intercom power up is required if you use pins 33 & 22, which allows the passenger to also use the BOMM, not 9 & 20, which is front mic only).

By the way, this week I just installed the latest version of the BOMM and recorded voice mails on my answering machine from my new BOMM on my CUSE5 and the older BOMM version on my CUSE4, using the same Zumo 660 & Blackberry phone. The new model mic volume is louder than the old. Haven't tested it while riding yet, too much snow here.

07SEUC_KC

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 06:05:58 PM »

Really surprised that I did not get more replies on this product. Anyhow here is my evaluation. Just finished the install and testing of the CFRG-HRUC & CFRG-ZUMO550 this weekend. Install was just as they say plug and play. No issues other than the interface module will not mount on the stock faring support as instructed. The SE has the garage door transmitter and prevented it from being installed there. I mounted the Integration control box and the Zumo harness to the top of the HK system using velcro tape for ease of removing later. Also instructions call for running the headset cables under the tank. I ran mine through the tank console. This process is much easier and there was plenty of room. I mounted the rocker switch on the under side of the clutch using the cap nut of rear view mirror. Instructions show mounting on top. SE will not allow this due to clutch reservoir. This location also keeps the switch out of view.

Operation Flawless. Bike running nobody can tell your on the bike even with my loud Rienharts. While listening to XM on the HK an incoming call will ring the the right side of the headset, flip the rocker and answer the call on the Zumo. GPS turn instructions are also heard through the right headset speaker. I tested with two different headsets. The J&M was the best and the HD Boom Audio headset for half helmet had a very slight echo what I would not consider an issue. I paid $412.00 for both units at my HD dealer VS. $449 direct from J&M. Looking forward to trying it on the road. Little issue with snow & ice on the roads. Thanks J&M for another superior product!

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 10:48:19 PM »

Really surprised that I did not get more replies on this product. Anyhow here is my evaluation. Just finished the install and testing of the CFRG-HRUC & CFRG-ZUMO550 this weekend. Install was just as they say plug and play. No issues other than the interface module will not mount on the stock faring support as instructed. The SE has the garage door transmitter and prevented it from being installed there. I mounted the Integration control box and the Zumo harness to the top of the HK system using velcro tape for ease of removing later. Also instructions call for running the headset cables under the tank. I ran mine through the tank console. This process is much easier and there was plenty of room. I mounted the rocker switch on the under side of the clutch using the cap nut of rear view mirror. Instructions show mounting on top. SE will not allow this due to clutch reservoir. This location also keeps the switch out of view.

Operation Flawless. Bike running nobody can tell your on the bike even with my loud Rienharts. While listening to XM on the HK an incoming call will ring the the right side of the headset, flip the rocker and answer the call on the Zumo. GPS turn instructions are also heard through the right headset speaker. I tested with two different headsets. The J&M was the best and the HD Boom Audio headset for half helmet had a very slight echo what I would not consider an issue. I paid $412.00 for both units at my HD dealer VS. $449 direct from J&M. Looking forward to trying it on the road. Little issue with snow & ice on the roads. Thanks J&M for another superior product!

It sounds like you're happy. That's what counts most. I think the reason you didn't get a lot of responses is because not many people have any experience with the J&M product because the cost is so high. It would be intersesting to compare the voice quality of a mic recording with the J&M versus the BOMM. The BOMM is 1/5 the price and way easier to install. I use the BOMM and am quite pleased with the performance. I understand Jim  B. is working on a new model BOMM to be released in the not too distant future. I'll be one of the first to try it and will review it for reading here and compare it to his prior models (which are quite good).

jimsmith94

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2010, 11:41:57 AM »

I understand Jim  B. is working on a new model BOMM to be released in the not too distant future. I'll be one of the first to try it and will review it for reading here and compare it to his prior models (which are quite good).
Any hints on what Jim has in the works? I'm using the current BOMM as well.

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2010, 03:41:22 PM »

Any hints on what Jim has in the works? I'm using the current BOMM as well.

This response is probably better left for Jim, but when I spoke to him a few days ago, he said one of the problems he has had in development and improving his products is finding suppliers of components that will sell small quantities, not minimums of hundreds at a time when he doesn't even know if the part will work yet. He found a supplier that will sell him small quantities of components. Now he is designing a circuit board and will test it with the new parts soon. He said it will be slightly bigger than the current BOMM, due to the new parts (which isn't a problem with me) and it uses the same wire hook-up as the prior model(s), which will make it easy to upgrade. Other than that, I'm waiting like everyone else but I sense it won't be months, rather weeks from now. However, if it isn't an improvement he will not release anything but he sounded hopeful based upon the specifications of the new components.

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 21 queries.