Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Better Brakes for the Softail Convertible?  (Read 9351 times)

goldfar

Better Brakes for the Softail Convertible?
« on: January 11, 2010, 12:20:18 PM »

Well, riding has been limited here in Georgia due to ice/snow/etc. but I did notice that the Softail does not brake as well as my last bike, a 2009 Sporty.  Of course, there's the matter of it weighing lot's more.

Is it just me, or do we need better brakes on this bike?

I was thinking of changing out the rotor and calipers, yet perhaps simply installing new, better pads will do the job.

Any thoughts???
2010 Screaming Eagle Softail Convertible
Crimson Red/Autum Haze

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 FLSTFSE (Platinum)
    • CVO2: 10 FLHXSE (Teq Sun)
    • CVO3: 10 FLSTSE (Scarlet)
Re: Better Brakes for the Softail Convertible?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 01:23:45 PM »

yes...  come on warm weather!!!   :huepfenjump3:

We haven't gotten out either. There is a nice size hill on either side of our home still covered in ice. (We live on top of a shaded hill in the country)

As far as braking is concerned... let's leave them alone for a while until broken in. Yes, the bike is heavier than your sporty and will take a bit of getting used to but you will get used to it just fine. Hopefully they bled the brakes better than they bled the clutch at York and there are no issues.

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE CVO Softail Convertible
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 02:04:56 PM »

That's funny I thought the exact same thing. When I took a test ride at my dealer I came back and said "great bike but the brakes sure do suck". The dealer said to wait and let them bed in and they will improve. The jury is still out on that one due to the frigid weather and ice but I am anxious to find out. I honestly don't have high hopes for that and would be very interested in what upgrade options we have. Too bad ABS was not included - can this be retrofit as an option?

Mike V.
Fullsac 1.75" Baffles / TTS / Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads / H-D LED Headlight / CeeBailey Windshield

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 02:31:18 PM »

Before going new rotors/calipers you may want to try putting some Lyndall Z+ brake pads all the way around. Many here use them and have found them to be a lot better then the stock pads.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 03:04:38 PM »

Before going new rotors/calipers you may want to try putting some Lyndall Z+ brake pads all the way around. Many here use them and have found them to be a lot better then the stock pads.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

What d00d said, plus if you have that annoying squeal with you stock pads, many have reported that it was eliminated with the Z pads.

goldfar

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 05:40:33 PM »

would be very interested in what upgrade options we have.

The dealer quoted me two different replacement options.  I forget the brand names (along with most else, these days) they are 6 piston calipers - one was "Rambo" or something that sounded like that.  Both quotes were $1,000. and a few cents.  That includes the larger diameter rotor and labor.

I like the sound of the Lyndall Z+ brake pads.  If the current set up doesn't improve by the 1000 mile service, I'll replace the pads.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone - pray for some WARM WEATHER!!!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 05:45:42 PM by goldfar »
Crimson Red/Autum Haze

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 10:04:31 AM »

The dealer quoted me two different replacement options.  I forget the brand names (along with most else, these days) they are 6 piston calipers - one was "Rambo" or something that sounded like that.  Both quotes were $1,000. and a few cents.  That includes the larger diameter rotor and labor.

I like the sound of the Lyndall Z+ brake pads.  If the current set up doesn't improve by the 1000 mile service, I'll replace the pads.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone - pray for some WARM WEATHER!!!

Brembo?

goldfar

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 10:33:20 AM »

Brembo, yes, that's right.

Again, I would hate to spend the additional $$$ if simply replacing the pads will improve stopping power enough.  Perhaps H-D should consider improved braking next time around - Jeff Smith - are you listening??
Crimson Red/Autum Haze

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 03:25:30 PM »

Brembo, yes, that's right.

Again, I would hate to spend the additional $$$ if simply replacing the pads will improve stopping power enough.  Perhaps H-D should consider improved braking next time around - Jeff Smith - are you listening??

I've always considered myself lucky that H-D joined the second half of the 20th century and installed disk brakes.  Asking them to actually use big enough brakes to stop an 800 to 1000 pound motorcycle is probably asking way too much.

A pad change won't make a huge difference, but I found it to make enough of a difference in feel and control on my e'glide that I never did upgrade the rest of the brake system.  Getting used to the heavier bike also played a part; once your brain realizes you're not riding a sport bike and compensates with earlier decisions and lower speeds, stopping distances become adequate.  Sure would think we would deserve more than "adequate" for the price of these bikes, but then we aren't paying for cutting edge performance, we're paying for nostalgia and "style".  On a positive note, I've never had to worry about accidentally doing a "stoppie".

Jerry

For those who aren't aware of what I'm talking about, a "stoppie" is the opposite of a "wheelie", with the rear wheel being lifted off the ground due to hard application of the front brake.
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 04:39:37 PM »

I've always considered myself lucky that H-D joined the second half of the 20th century and installed disk brakes.  Asking them to actually use big enough brakes to stop an 800 to 1000 pound motorcycle is probably asking way too much.

A pad change won't make a huge difference, but I found it to make enough of a difference in feel and control on my e'glide that I never did upgrade the rest of the brake system.  Getting used to the heavier bike also played a part; once your brain realizes you're not riding a sport bike and compensates with earlier decisions and lower speeds, stopping distances become adequate.  Sure would think we would deserve more than "adequate" for the price of these bikes, but then we aren't paying for cutting edge performance, we're paying for nostalgia and "style".  On a positive note, I've never had to worry about accidentally doing a "stoppie".

Jerry

For those who aren't aware of what I'm talking about, a "stoppie" is the opposite of a "wheelie", with the rear wheel being lifted off the ground due to hard application of the front brake.

Jerry, I noticed the last paragraph in that last post of yours!!!  :worthless: of you on your Garbage Barge doing one!!! ::) :2vrolijk_21: ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)

Hoist! :coolblue:
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 04:41:47 PM by Hoist! »
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

goldfar

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2010, 05:00:46 PM »

Jerry,

Well said!  You have managed to sum up the entire history of a 106 year old company in one paragraph!

Perhaps everyone who is contemplating purchasing a motorcycle should be required to read your post and then they could make a more informed decision.  I did think about it and indeed chose, "nostalgia and 'style'" over cutting edge performance.

That said, I still want to be able to stop when (not if) that bonehead in the SUV make a left turn right in front of me.
Crimson Red/Autum Haze

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2010, 11:34:20 PM »

Last summer at Sturgis I had the good fortune to test ride this bike and test ride this bike and test ride this bike.  Think I rode it 12 times if memory serves me.  And I also had the good fortune to hook up with a "new friend" (shown in the picture below) and ask him every question that I had ridden 1000 miles for.  He helped me numerous times and probably tripped my trigger as which CVO to buy, based on my wants and needs.  I was swayed by the Street Glide SE and could have easily gone that way because the Tequila Sunrise is out of this world.  Nobody would miss you coming on that.  But I was impressed by the dual brake rotors in the front and back on it.  What I was not impressed about was the black painted wheels with silver accents.  And of course I am not ready for the sound of that tourer when it is stopped at the stop sign.  I like the sound of this balanced engine much more.  Long story short I asked him why no (actually I asked him several key questions that I know you all are dying to know the answer to as well........) dual rotors.  He assured me that the single rotor is more than capable of providing stopping power for this bike.  He said going with this wheel we all love, that it didn't make much sense to cover up more than 1/2 of it with another rotor.  Someone had to make a judgment call and 'looks and nostalgia' won out.  So I convinced he knew what he was talking about.  I think if it was me, I'd have put another rotor on it, just because, but it would have added more weight of course.  But if you're talking another 30 pounds or so max, maybe, there isn't anything that tells us we must stay off the bike if we weigh more than a certain amount, know what I mean?  I know there is a GAW or something like that but you get the idea. Do we leave our extra pair of boots at home just because with them our saddlebags exceed 10 pounds net weight??  With the dual rotors it would weigh just what it weighs and damn the torpedos; full speed ahead!!!......  sorry, got carried away.  As long as it stops, I'm happy with it so far.  Like someone said already, these bikes force us to look ahead 12 seconds, and be anticipating what those knumbskull cagers are going to do next.  Just makes us better cage drivers also, I believe.   yuk, yuk.  
And I believe this completes my newbie status????  show me some love, bruthas......
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 06:18:07 PM by porkypig »

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2010, 08:19:22 AM »

Goldfar, your picture of the top rear fender captures the most beautiful stand-alone aspect, in and of itself, of our bikes (and they have several unique qualities).  Great job!  Cant wait until I get to work and view it on a good computer screen.

goldfar

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2010, 09:45:59 AM »

Cant wait until I get to work and view it on a good computer screen.

Yes, this is a beautiful bike.  Can't wait for warmer weather so I can capture the paint and chrome out in the sunlight were it belongs.  The paint really pops in the sunlight.  In the meanwhile, here is some detail from the rear axle area.

Happy to see an American manufactured vehicle so well machined.

Crimson Red/Autum Haze

enormus322

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2010, 03:46:38 AM »

i don't mean to be sarcastic but coming from riding springers forever to owning my flstse why not try breaking sooner or putting a little more space between you and the car/bike in front...riding springers will teach you how to ride motorcycles
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 21 queries.