Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: SE platinum spark plugs?  (Read 6591 times)

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
SE platinum spark plugs?
« on: January 11, 2010, 02:49:27 PM »

Has anybody changed their standard issue plugs for the SE plug?  Is there anything else involved other than making sure they are gapped correctly and torqued correctly?
At $15 a pair, I thought it might make a difference in how it runs.  Was surprised when the bike came with standard plugs.    :nixweiss:

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: SE platinum spark plugs?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 02:53:03 PM »

Have used the SE plugs before and saw no difference... save your money, change regular plugs more often, and get you some chrome with the money you'll save.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 03:01:00 PM »

There's been a lot said about this subject, do a search on spark plugs on this site you'll get a few hits. The bottom line on plugs has been summed, it depends hoe frequently you change your plugs. Platinum helps protect against wear, a sharp edge provides the best spark. So if you rarely change your plugs 30,000-50,000 miles then platinum would help, but if you do like many with motorcycles, they change out every 4000-6000 miles, then the platinum isn't really helping. There are a lot of claims by plug manufactures that they can give you big boost in power and economy, but like said before, if the claims were true, every motorcycle, car and truck would be running them.

Craig

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 03:06:02 PM »

I thought it might make a difference in how it runs.  Was surprised when the bike came with standard plugs.    :nixweiss:

Just because they cost more don't think you'll get any better performance......... just saying.  :nixweiss:

Save your money they get changed evry 5k anyway, just carry an extraset with you.....just because you can.

Someone else around this site can spend all the money you want............. :2vrolijk_21:
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

faceracer

• Faceracer
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2019 FLHRXS Road Kind Special
    • KY

• CVO1: 2019 FLHRXS Road King Special (not a cvo)
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 03:13:16 PM »

Has anybody changed their standard issue plugs for the SE plug?  Is there anything else involved other than making sure they are gapped correctly and torqued correctly?
At $15 a pair, I thought it might make a difference in how it runs.  Was surprised when the bike came with standard plugs.    :nixweiss:

Here is another thread were I was asking about E3 plugs. Thought you might like to read it! :2vrolijk_21:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=40899.msg653910#msg653910
2019 FLHRXS Road King Special
2016 FLSS Softail Slim Special
2009 CVO Road Glide FLTRSE3
2007 Cobalt Blue FLHX
2001 Chrome Yellow & vivid Black FXDL
1985 Candy Red FXRS
1955 Triumph T110 Tiger chopper built by me!

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 03:18:01 PM »

Well, coming from those that should know, maybe I will use up the 2 sets I have now and then just revert back to the standard plug.  thought SE plugs might be something new and updated but sounds like not.  Ain't that just the way!  I have been replacing my plugs every 5000 miles for the last several years because for 5-6 bucks, you're ensuring that your ride can't be defeated because you were trying to squeeze 50,000 miles out of a pair of plugs.  Gotcha!  And yes, I do carry an extra set at all times.

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 03:24:19 PM »

I have been replacing my plugs every 5000 miles for the last several years because for 5-6 bucks, you're ensuring that your ride can't be defeated because you were trying to squeeze 50,000 miles out of a pair of plugs.  Gotcha!  And yes, I do carry an extra set at all times.

I won't speak for everybody, but I would presume most of the people here feel the same way.
Preventive Maintenance is always better then Reactive Maintenance.....  :2vrolijk_21:
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 06:10:33 PM »

::)

You know I am one to agree pretty much with preventative maintenance and staying ahead of potential failures of parts.   But,  what I'm seeing here (in terms of replacing spark plugs and the frequency),  is a "carry-over" from the days of carbs........

Many of us have had the S&S carbs or others that could easily flood out and snuff a plug.   When it finally dried out,  the cylinder went off like a shotgun!!!!!!!   Todays EFI systems are much easier on plugs and in my opinion changing them out with any real degree of frequency/miles/etc.  is mostly a waste of time and money. :drink:

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 06:16:27 PM »

::)

You know I am one to agree pretty much with preventative maintenance and staying ahead of potential failures of parts.   But,  what I'm seeing here (in terms of replacing spark plugs and the frequency),  is a "carry-over" from the days of carbs........

Many of us have had the S&S carbs or others that could easily flood out and snuff a plug.   When it finally dried out,  the cylinder went off like a shotgun!!!!!!!   Todays EFI systems are much easier on plugs and in my opinion changing them out with any real degree of frequency/miles/etc.  is mostly a waste of time and money. :drink:

Agree, but cheap enough. I use regular HD plugs. Tried others including SE's and the only ones that were NEVER a problem were regular HD plugs and Champions (who I believe makes HD plugs). I'll never waste my time on anything else again. And I change em in the beginning of each season, or 20K, whichever comes first during normal operation each year. ;)

Hoist! :coolblue:
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 06:20:40 PM »

Hell, I know some people that say the best money spent every year is on a New Battery.

Spark plugs are nothing to purchase, they cost as much as a pack pf smokes or 2 beers. Just saying  :nixweiss:

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 06:27:12 PM »

Hell, I know some people that say the best money spent every year is on a New Battery.

Spark plugs are nothing to purchase, they cost as much as a pack pf smokes or 2 beers. Just saying  :nixweiss:

I used to agree with that, but now that I keep em on a BT, I change batteries every 2 years, REGARDLESS!!! ;)

"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2010, 06:44:40 PM »

I used to agree with that, but now that I keep em on a BT, I change batteries every 2 years, REGARDLESS!!! ;)

Worth every penny.  :2vrolijk_21:

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2010, 06:52:51 PM »

Worth every penny.  :2vrolijk_21:

They sure are :2vrolijk_21:... have had one on my :pumpkin: since I brought it home... still the original battery... which will be six years old 7/1/10... Guess it's about time to get a new battery. :nixweiss: ;D

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2010, 06:54:33 PM »

Let's see.............."beer" "sparkplugs", "sparkplugs", "beer"............"beer" "sparkplugs", "sparkplugs", "beer"............"beer" "sparkplugs", "sparkplugs", "beer"............"beer" "sparkplugs", "sparkplugs", "beer"............"beer" "sparkplugs", "sparkplugs", "beer"............"beer" "sparkplugs", "sparkplugs", "beer"............

Decisions, decisions.

;D
HOGMIKE

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2010, 07:09:26 PM »

Gave up carrying spare plugs when I got away from carbs, as far as changer frequency I would say once a season, depends on the milage.  I have never had a plug failure on a EFI bike.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 21 queries.