Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Author Topic: Dealership discounts  (Read 12252 times)

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
Re: Dealership discounts
« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2010, 08:00:34 AM »

If this is true you'll be seeing a lot more HD's stolen & stripped for parts.

One more thing. I don't think you would see Harley issuing a statement telling the dealers that they CAN'T sell parts or BIKES at OVER msrp,  Where was Harley when the Dealers were gouging the customer asking and getting 2-3 and even 4Thousand over msrp.?

faceracer

• Faceracer
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2019 FLHRXS Road Kind Special
    • KY

• CVO1: 2019 FLHRXS Road King Special (not a cvo)
« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2010, 03:03:36 PM »

I don't believe the mo-co can stop them from selling at a discount. They can stop them from advertising it. Case in point a few years ago you could buy all kinds of S&S parts at a discount on the net. S&S took them to court and made them stop advertising the discount price. If you look at S&S stuff online now you will find a little comment saying they cannot advertise price due to S&S polices. Call for a price. Now if you were not still giving a discount why wouldn't they just post the msrp? I believe its because the discount is still there just not advertised. You may also have to call and ASK for a discount. OK legal guys out there am I way off?   :nixweiss:
2019 FLHRXS Road King Special
2016 FLSS Softail Slim Special
2009 CVO Road Glide FLTRSE3
2007 Cobalt Blue FLHX
2001 Chrome Yellow & vivid Black FXDL
1985 Candy Red FXRS
1955 Triumph T110 Tiger chopper built by me!

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2010, 03:30:21 PM »

Looking at the parts catalogue all the prices say msrp which is as far as I am concerned will mean at this point and time the MOCO can't force the dealers into selling at a set price as this price  is suggested only. Prices may vary. Just my 2cents.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #63 on: January 29, 2010, 04:18:38 PM »

Not that I necessarily agree with it, but the manufacturer's will also say that discounting affects the value of the "brand", so that gives them the right to include restrictions on advertised prices.  If Harley or it's most influential dealers think they can keep other's from discounting in a down market, however, I look at that as just a little more proof that MoCo management is out of touch and needs to be replaced.  This attempt at price fixing might work if there was no competition, and all the dealers were meek little followers, and all customer's were idiots, but since that scenario is not realistic, I think this is just another tempest in a teapot.  Folks were claiming the same "no discount" crap a couple years ago with respect to bike prices, and there has been widespread discounting of bikes in the past year in pretty much all parts of the country. 

I'm not a legal beagle, but if memory serves me the manufacturer's can't dictate the actual retail price.  What they can do is dictate a minimum advertised price.  That is how folks like Apple control how you never see ads for an ipod at less than full price, for instance.  If the store is willing to sell it to you at half off, it's none of the manufacturer's business as long as the store doesn't advertise it.  That's why you see so many ads nowdays that tell you to call for the actual price; that's how retailers get around the manufacturer's minimum advertised price agreements.

Maybe if they priced that stuff they buy for peanuts from China a little more realistically, it wouldn't be a big deal.  But since we all know they're screwing us royally at MSRP, what incentive is there to continue buying their stuff at full price versus often better stuff from the aftermarket at better prices?  I already spend more with the aftermarket than I do with Harley; dumb stuff like this will just ensure that the percentage that's aftermarket will get bigger.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #64 on: January 29, 2010, 07:51:33 PM »

That sounds more realistic that they would control the advertising of discounted pricing, but the ultimate discounts are still up to the individual dealers.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #65 on: January 29, 2010, 09:26:20 PM »

There's another side to this that I haven't seen mentioned yet, but it could be a biggie to a lot of dealers and their customers.  Many Harley dealers have "customer appreciation" events, where they have entertainment, demo rides, food, accessory displays and demo's, and typically 20% discounts on in-stock parts, accessories, and motor clothes.  Many also have special discount events during the month of December.  If the dealers aren't allowed to advertise the discounts, it could seriously affect their sales.  Around here the two dealers I frequent hold at least two customer appreciation events each during the riding season, and they sell tons of stuff and make tons of money during those events.  They also run month long specials during December and make tons on those as well.

I have no idea if this policy was aimed at the Chicago H-D/Surdyke type of stores, but if it was it will also severely impact most of the other dealers as well.  I would hope that the other dealers would have understood that, if in fact this is something the dealers actually requested.  Sounds more to me like this is just a MoCo management thing; one more among the many other stupid things they've done.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

hogasm

« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2010, 07:19:57 AM »

Jerry they will probably say in their advertising "Came in and see what deals we have for you today"

Wording in advertising is where it is at.

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2010, 10:38:08 AM »

This could also increase local HOG membership if the dealership allows for a discount for it's members like some of the local dealers do here. I don't know how it will affect local dealer email discount coupons , I just got a notice from my local dealer with discount coupons.
I guess the MOCO could slow or cut off delivery of bikes or parts if a dealer doesn't conform to MOCO policies?

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #68 on: January 30, 2010, 11:12:05 AM »

Still waiting to see the literature that HD put out that says dealers are not allowed to charge what they want.

That sounds like price fixing and that is illegal in this country, so I doubt that any dealers were ordered to not sell for what they want to.

Dealers don't have to sell us CVO models for MSRP and discount the rest of the line, they chose too. MSRP is just that and there is no law that dictates items have to be sold for MSRP. The key is the "S" - suggested.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 09:53:02 PM by porthole »
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

AZ SESG

• '17 SESG Sunburst Orange/Starfire Black -- '02 SERK Candy/Brandywine *Gone but not forgotten*
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Formerly AZ SERK

• CVO1: '02 FLHRSEI / Sold
    • CVO2: '17 FLHXSE
« Reply #69 on: January 31, 2010, 12:17:09 AM »

I don't believe the mo-co can stop them from selling at a discount. They can stop them from advertising it. Case in point a few years ago you could buy all kinds of S&S parts at a discount on the net. S&S took them to court and made them stop advertising the discount price. If you look at S&S stuff online now you will find a little comment saying they cannot advertise price due to S&S polices. Call for a price. Now if you were not still giving a discount why wouldn't they just post the msrp? I believe its because the discount is still there just not advertised. You may also have to call and ASK for a discount. OK legal guys out there am I way off?   :nixweiss:

x2
And, I think you are right on.  :2vrolijk_21:
Life is: Choices. Choose wisely.
"Ability + Commitment - Doubt = Reality"
IBA #42159

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2010, 03:58:19 PM »

Received this information from a dealer where I have been purchasing the parts in the last three years.

Harley-Davidson changed their advertising policy.  Harley Dealers can no longer ADVERTISE discounts.  Each individual dealership can charge whatever price they want on parts, accessories, clothes, etc.  For a company to say you have to sell an item at a specified price is illegal, and it is called price fixing.  It is up to each individual dealer to offer discounts and such inside their stores.  Harley-Davidson can only suggest a retail price.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2010, 04:07:42 PM »

Received this information from a dealer where I have been purchasing the parts in the last three years.

Harley-Davidson changed their advertising policy.  Harley Dealers can no longer ADVERTISE discounts.  Each individual dealership can charge whatever price they want on parts, accessories, clothes, etc.  For a company to say you have to sell an item at a specified price is illegal, and it is called price fixing.  It is up to each individual dealer to offer discounts and such inside their stores.  Harley-Davidson can only suggest a retail price.

That sounds like they can still discount items but just can't say/show what the discount amount will be on the front end. For those of us that deal w/the online dealers that give the 20% we still may be able to get it they just may not be able to advertise it. :nixweiss:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Ed45

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus
« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2010, 06:50:29 PM »

+1 Fire d00d

faceracer

• Faceracer
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2019 FLHRXS Road Kind Special
    • KY

• CVO1: 2019 FLHRXS Road King Special (not a cvo)
« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2010, 04:55:03 PM »

I ordered my tour pak and all accessories for installing it from chicago HD yesterday. I ask about the 20% discount and was told they will ALWAYS give the discount and it is not going away! Cool because it saved me about 500 bucks! I can't wait till all my stuff gets here!
Damn Snow! If I can't ride it at least I can play with it and add some cool accessories!!!!  :2vrolijk_21:
2019 FLHRXS Road King Special
2016 FLSS Softail Slim Special
2009 CVO Road Glide FLTRSE3
2007 Cobalt Blue FLHX
2001 Chrome Yellow & vivid Black FXDL
1985 Candy Red FXRS
1955 Triumph T110 Tiger chopper built by me!

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2010, 10:14:26 AM »

Any one knows if Chicago dealer honor the 20% discount in motorclothes and accessories?

Thanks
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 21 queries.