Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I have a California FXR4 - what does that mean?  (Read 4773 times)

Artlee

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4
I have a California FXR4 - what does that mean?
« on: January 13, 2010, 11:57:30 AM »

In looking at and decoding the VIN on my FXR4, there is a 3 in the sequence indicating that my FXR4 is a California model. Was wondering if anyone could tell me what that means? Should I be happy, sad or will my bike run on lattes and bean sprouts? Does it mean it now has an Austrian ( gros gott! ) accent? I don't know.

Thanks for your time!

Artlee

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
Re: I have a California FXR4 - what does that mean?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 12:01:11 PM »

It means it is only worth $2,000 and you should sell it to me.

It may also mean it has a different cam and some other emissions-related contraptions on it.

Artlee

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 12:19:07 PM »

Different cam ? That doesn't sound good - so it is dogged down :'(
The emission control crap I sort of expected.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 01:20:11 PM »

Looking thru the parts catalog, CA bikes have Catalytic mufflers, evaporative emission fumes canister, and the electric solenoid operated flap on the air cleaner assembly.  Hopefully all of that has been removed.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 02:26:58 PM »

It means it is only worth $2,000 and you should sell it to me.

It may also mean it has a different cam and some other emissions-related contraptions on it.

LIAR! 

Its worth 4k and sell it to me!   :P

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 02:28:29 PM »

Looking thru the parts catalog, CA bikes have Catalytic mufflers, evaporative emission fumes canister, and the electric solenoid operated flap on the air cleaner assembly.  Hopefully all of that has been removed.

What year parts catalog?  2000?  California did not impose restrictions requiring cats until 2004:

"In the late '70s the EPA enacted the first federal emissions requirements for on-highway motorcycles, with compliance required for the 1980 model year. These initial regulations remained unchanged until December of 2003, when the EPA announced its plan to establish new requirements modeled after those implemented by America's most populous state - California.

The Golden State's new restrictions were set up in a two-tiered phase, with the first wave of limits going into effect in 2004 and a second wave kicking in for 2008. The federal EPA mimics California's standards but two years behind, with Tier 1 beginning in 2006 and Tier 2 taking effect in 2010. The hard numbers equate to Tier 1 limits of a combined 1.4 g/km of HC and NOx with 12 g/km of CO. Tier 2 raises the bar to 0.8 g/km of HC+NOx with the same 12 g/km of CO."  See: Motorcycle Emissions Regs.

:nixweiss:

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Artlee

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 03:24:16 PM »

Bike is NOT for sale. Though in Chicago.......never mind.
And no offense to anyone in/from California...my wife is from there.

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 03:46:54 PM »

What year parts catalog?  2000?  California did not impose restrictions requiring cats until 2004:

"In the late '70s the EPA enacted the first federal emissions requirements for on-highway motorcycles, with compliance required for the 1980 model year. These initial regulations remained unchanged until December of 2003, when the EPA announced its plan to establish new requirements modeled after those implemented by America's most populous state - California.

The Golden State's new restrictions were set up in a two-tiered phase, with the first wave of limits going into effect in 2004 and a second wave kicking in for 2008. The federal EPA mimics California's standards but two years behind, with Tier 1 beginning in 2006 and Tier 2 taking effect in 2010. The hard numbers equate to Tier 1 limits of a combined 1.4 g/km of HC and NOx with 12 g/km of CO. Tier 2 raises the bar to 0.8 g/km of HC+NOx with the same 12 g/km of CO."  See: Motorcycle Emissions Regs.

BUT....Ca. bikes had cats back at least in 1995, I have one.
I believe the Ca bikes had 'em prior to that year, but, I don't have my parts book in here, and it's too cold to go out and get it!
 ;D
HOGMIKE

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 04:34:11 PM »

My CA version BLUE3 had an original CA cam in it (which prevented the bike from getting out of its own way) and a charcoal evaporative canister that recycled fumes back to the gas tank. A/C had already been changed, so not sure on that. I removed the whole canister contraption (well I had Jim do it), installed an EV-27 cam, and S&S Super E, Dyna ignition, and Cycle Shack M Pipes. No more special CA crap on her now and she runs GREAT! :coolblue:

Ask 103T about my exhaust. He has it now! ;)

Hoist! :coolblue:
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 04:42:44 PM »

LOL, no cats that I recall seeing, but now I'm gonna take another look! ???

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 05:01:22 PM »

"In the late '70s the EPA enacted the first federal emissions requirements for on-highway motorcycles, with compliance required for the 1980 model year. These initial regulations remained unchanged until December of 2003, when the EPA announced its plan to establish new requirements modeled after those implemented by America's most populous state - California.....

As I remember it, Jan 1, 1978 was when the first “emission” vehicles were produced by H-D. These machines had a VIN with sequential #’s above 60,000. The emission equipment consisted of a Prestolite electronic ignition and a crankcase vent directed into a “Ham Can” air cleaner. 1978 machines produced prior to Jan 1, 1978 ran circuit breaker points, an oval air cleaner. The crankcase vent on the BT’s was used to lubricate the rear drive chain. In 1980 the Prestolite ignition with mechanical advance mechanism was replaced by the Magnavox ignition.

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 06:16:11 PM »

Different cam ? That doesn't sound good - so it is dogged down :'(
The emission control crap I sort of expected.

VERY MUCH DOGGED DOWN !!!!   :-(
2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
The Build -
•   SE Heads w/Cometic .030 gaskets
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
•   Compu-Fire Single Fire Ignition
•   Rivera taper-lite chromolly adjustable push rods
•   Chrome lifter blocks w/HD B lifters
•   Pro-Force One AC and breather kit
•   Vance and Hines straight shots

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 22 queries.