Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Installed Fat Bob Oil Cooler  (Read 12989 times)

StevieMo

Installed Fat Bob Oil Cooler
« on: January 19, 2010, 10:42:35 AM »

In an effort to make the engine run cooler, I installed an oil cooler from a 2009 NON CVO FatBob.  Combined with Mobil 1 oil, a Vance & Hines exhaust, and engine tuning, it takes a long time idling for the heat management system to engage.  Installation took about 2 hours.  It is necessary to permanently remove the lower front spoiler.  I actually sold mine on ebay to help offset the cost of the oil cooler kit.  Overall, I am very happy with the mod.

ryr8828dj

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: SE Fat Bob Black Diamond/Fire Quartz
Re: Installed Fat Bob Oil Cooler
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 06:51:57 PM »

Had an oil cooler custom made for mine ('09 SE Fat Bob).  Its inside the front spoiler.  Works perfectly.

gabe

• because i can
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 03:55:12 PM »

let us see your custom made oil cooler who made it ??///???? :worthless: :worthless: :worthless: :worthless: :worthless:
2009 ultra black
1962 impala 409/ 4 speed /posi rear/ 2 4 barrels

ryr8828dj

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 05:29:32 PM »

Don't have a pic yet... coming soon.  I sent my spoiler to Ultra Cool Custom in CA.  He designed the oil cooler to fit within the spoiler, cut some slots in the front and installed screens to the spoiler.  It is a fan forced cooler. Thermostatically controlled.  Oil flows to the cooler and fan kicks on at 225 degrees F.  I installed and tested. Can hardly tell its there. State of the art and works very well.  No more rear cylinder shut down.  Haven't seen oil temp (digital dipstick) over 260 yet at varying ambient temps.

StevieMo

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 06:25:25 PM »

I like your idea of the custom unit and keeping the spoiler....but I struggle with how does it get air flow through it?

ryr8828dj

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 07:27:47 PM »

I like your idea of the custom unit and keeping the spoiler....but I struggle with how does it get air flow through it?

I'll try to get some pics soon.  The area of the spoiler ('09 SE Fatbob Spoiler) between the vertical ribs has been cut out and a nickel plated screen installed.  The screen is a fine mesh to slow down air flowing through it (so oil can reach operating temp at all ambient temps).  It is not designed to cool using the flow of air through it, it uses the fan to cool it.  In this case a pic would be "worth a thousand words".  I can say it works better than I expected.  From the side view of the bike you can't tell its got an oil cooler on it.  From the front of the bike you can see the screens which almost complement the spoiler.  You can't hear the fan when the bike is running.  Shut the bike off when its hot and turn the ignition back on you can hear the high velocity fan running.  I've tested it numerous times checking oil temp with digital dip stick to insure the fan comes on at the appropriate time.  No more rear head shutdown even in extreme conditions.  Initially I was going to have the Engine Heat Management System turned off.  But now if it kicks in I'll know to check the fan for correct operation.

davidceder

• CVO1: 2009 Fat Bob CVO FXDFSE
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 11:45:57 AM »

Who did the mod & how much was it. I have an 09 and live in Arizona. As you can imagine in 110+ temps the management system always comes on.

Thanks

ryr8828dj

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 04:26:18 PM »

Who did the mod & how much was it. I have an 09 and live in Arizona. As you can imagine in 110+ temps the management system always comes on.

Thanks

Marvin Moss of Ultra Cool.  $450.00.  I'll send you a PM with phone # if you want.  He is also making pre-fab for Dyna now.

davidceder

• CVO1: 2009 Fat Bob CVO FXDFSE
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 06:58:16 PM »

Thanks. You can e-mail to: info@djceder.com

Gutter Man

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 04:17:46 PM »

I installed an oil cooler on my Fat Bob and custom made a chin spoiler to house it. Its made out of 5052 aluminum sheet .063" thick. Same stuff I manufacture gutter brackets out of. It took me 6 months to make and many boxes of beer but finally done. I just put in on the bike two weeks ago and now have to fit it a little better. I had a bud laser the Se emblem on the front but the rest I  hand formed and put together for my Bro-in-law to weld up. many hours revising and making it just the way i wanted.
Man who drive like hell bound to get there

Gutter Man

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 04:19:22 PM »

Another picture

ryr8828dj

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2010, 04:34:45 PM »

Looks good... does it have a fan to cool the oil when the bike is not moving?  This is the very most important thing for a Motorcycle Oil Cooler IMHO.

Gutter Man

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2010, 05:14:27 PM »

no fan as of yet. But I do have plenty of room behind the cooler. I ran last summer with the oil cooler mounted but no chin spoiler and oil temps rarely got hot. I dont do any city driving but I may install a fan just in case I get into a situation.

Big Sky Fan

• Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2010, 09:41:58 PM »

Here you go..............http://bigskyfan.tripod.com/

rcodea

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2010, 09:44:36 PM »

Looks good... does it have a fan to cool the oil when the bike is not moving?  This is the very most important thing for a Motorcycle Oil Cooler IMHO.

did you ever get any photos of your setup?

~Ryan
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 21 queries.