Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fear not removing the gas tank  (Read 14066 times)

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
Fear not removing the gas tank
« on: January 21, 2010, 04:18:13 PM »

Here is a little helpful advice for those who may fear removing the gas tank so you have access to anything under there as well as just checking that no wiring is touching those hot heads, etc.  Or if you need to do any repairs or maintenance, etc. it makes it easy for access.  It takes some prep work but is certainly not some mystery that only those at the dealership can perform.  I removed the tank and then ran wiring for accessory lights, wiring for my Gerbing heater controls, wiring for my battery tender, and then fine tuned the wiring for the airhorn I installed not long after getting the bike in November.  Had it sort of mickey-moused so that it would perform but had to be careful the wind didn't blow wiring around close to the heads, etc.  
The main thing is the prep work for taking off the tank.  It is best if you run the gas out of the bike prior to removing the tank.  Tie the bike off in an upright position with it leaning at a good angle to the right .  This allows the residual gasoline in the tank (mine actually had just over a quart left after it started chugging on the highway) to equalize from the left half of the tank to the right side so that it can be removed with a turkey baster, etc.  Or if you have to, you can just get a quality siphon hose and a gas can and do it that way.  Either way, that gets the tank completely empty for the job at hand.  I noticed a change from my 05 Heritage is that the actual sending unit has been moved to the right hand side of the tank.  Once the gas has been removed from the tank, the rest is fairly simple and straight forward.  The main thing.........and I mean the main thing :beatdeadhorse:, is that you have the key fob with you.  Turn on the ignition and while the lights are on, then disconnect the negative wire from the battery.  That will be one less pair of pants you have to clean the $$$$ out of put in the washer!  Leave the ignition in the "on" position and then when you reverse the procedure, it will be in the correct position for hooking back up.
all this will give you great access to the sides of your bike.  You will notice there are a couple main wireways on each side for laying wire in so it keeps it from draping down over the hot heads, cylinders, or etc.  The wireway clips pull up and then out for access.  Feel free to use lots of wireties.  
At the end, you will have a bone-dry tank so will have to pour some gas before getting on and riding away.  
I will include a procedure that has been tried and proven to do this job simply and without getting gas all over the place.  I would recommend doing this job with a cool engine......and a cool head doesn't hurt either.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 09:16:46 AM by porkypig »

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

Re: Fear not removing the gas tank
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 04:21:38 PM »

To Remove FLSTSE Gas Tank
1.  Make sure key fob is present.
2.  Strap bike down (tilted to far right side) and block under frame for safety.    
3.  Turn kill switch to “off”.
4.  Turn ignition switch to “on” (headlight on).
5.  With 3/8” wrench remove negative battery cable from frame and secure.
6.  Place rag around gas tank fill hole for spill control.
7.  Remove gas cap and with turkey baster transfer residual gasoline into suitable container.
8.  Replace gas cap.
9.  Un-tuck and unplug fuel gage wire under tank.  (Squeeze “hot” end of plug and separate).
10. Place rag under tank “quick disconnect” for spill control.  (Pull up on outer chrome ring and release hose down).
11.  Using 1/8” and 5/32” Allen wrenches, remove console screws.  (Put towel over handlebars to cushion console).
12.  Lift console up and disconnect yellow console clip fastener.
13.  Rotate console up and 180 degrees clockwise and rest on handlebars/headlight.
14.  Remove Stainless console clip from tank.
15.  Remove vent hose from tank.
16.  Place rag on engine head under tank crossover line for spill control.
17.  Disconnect left end of tank crossover hose from nipple.  To do this, it is necessary to pry apart the stock hose clamp. Then you can use a pair of very small needle-nose vise-grips (there is very limited area to work with under here but I feel it is easier here than on the right side) and gently squeeze the hose near the end to stop  the flow of any gas laying in the hose as you pull it off the nipple.  Immediately put a vacuum cap over the exposed nipple.  Plug the open end of crossover hose with another narrow, long rubber vaccuum cap so you leave a little bit of the end sticking out to grab hold of later (works slick), then remove the vise-grips (this is where you may need the rag) ;).        
18.  Using T-40 Torx wrench, remove bolt/washer holding tank to frame.
19.  Using 9/16” deep socket on right side and 9/16” wrench on left side, remove acorn nut/sleeve.
20.  Remove bolt/sleeve from left side of tank.  
21.   Carefully lift tank up and back to remove, pulling crossover hose through frame.  Place on cushioned surface.
22.   To reinstall, reverse procedure, being sure to have key fob present.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 09:27:20 AM by porkypig »

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 04:31:12 PM »

here is a couple pics of both sides with tank removed.

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 04:34:25 PM »

here is another.

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 04:36:10 PM »

and the last one.  Notice there is not much more room for anything at all under the seat.  I've about reached my limit.

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE CVO Softail Convertible
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 10:39:09 PM »

Murrel, you are a wild man! I love the pics. While I am not prepared to take my tank off (unless I really have to) I do need to get a 12v source up to my handlebars to power a GPS unit and perhaps some aux driving lights. Given what you found, do you think that I could snake a wire up though without tank removal?

Thanks,

Mike
Fullsac 1.75" Baffles / TTS / Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads / H-D LED Headlight / CeeBailey Windshield

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 01:58:52 AM »

Whaaaaatttttt????  More soup???????  Absolutely not!  You must follow the rules!!!   ha!  Let me tell you one thing, Mike......those heads on the 110.....not many things in this world get as hot as a Harley engine!  In case you have not noticed, the engine and drive train sit sort of catty-wumpous (not sure if that is the correct Webster/Merridian term or not) from one another.  Puts the gas tank (which is symmetrical with the rest of the bike) off to one side of the engine.  In other words, the engine does not sit squarely under the gas tank.  It leaves virtually no space for running wiring at all under the right side of the engine/tank.  The left side is just about your only alternative.  You could attach your wiring at the battery and go under the frame from the battery compartment and wiretie it to some of the wiring as it goes thru the first wireway and then piggy back off other wiring behind the horn, and poss-ibb-ly loop it thru the small wiring to the gas gage and then to the front of the frame.  Main thing is staying away from that hot area of the engine.  Now if you put the wires inside some sort of heat resistant sheathing, that may be another story.  You could be closer to the heads and be ok, I suppose.  Along the top of the engine there are a few wires that appear to be in heat-resistant sheathing even tho they are pretty close and seem ok.  Some of the accessories we buy don't appear to be as such and seem like they would melt on contact.  That could be bad. So, my answer to your question would be yes......if you don't want to take the tank off.  As far as being a wild man, the last bike I had (the 05 Heritage) was my 'learnin' bike.  Did all my experimenting with it.  Made all my flub-ups with it.  Developed all my "try it"s with it.  And experienced all my "crap, now look what I've gone and done"s with it.  Prior to owning the Heritage, I was always fearful that I might screw something up and you know what?  I did, plenty of times.  But I picked up a little knowledge and confidence along the way.  And believe me, I've seen plenty of people that I've paid good $$ to be more smarter and more knowledgable than me screw up my stuff more times out of pure ignorance than I'd care to remember.  So, I figure now I have a few more skills and I try to think things thru a little more thoroughly than I did before, and so far, so good.  I don't have a lot of experience with bikes, but I think this bike is sure put together well and with a lot of thought and care.  People can say what they want about Harley craftsmanship but most of it is up to the owner once it leaves the factory.  You and me, Mike.  The more work you and I do that you and I can do, the better off we'll be.  The Stealer and their people, a good share of the time, they put their own spin on things, rather than what Harley recommends.  And a good many times, they don't really know much more, or as much as you or I.  So, there you go.........now where's that "soap box" emoticon....... ha!  Good luck!

« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 02:03:33 AM by porkypig »

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 21 queries.