Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: HARLEY-DAVIDSON® FORTY-EIGHT™ IS A RAW AND RADICAL RIDE  (Read 15128 times)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: HARLEY-DAVIDSON® FORTY-EIGHT™ IS A RAW AND RADICAL RIDE
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2010, 11:53:09 AM »

Considering Sportster's didn't exist until 1957 (the predecessor "K" models were introduced in 1952), I also don't follow the "48" designation.  Forty Eight what?  Dollars, horsepower, cubic inches, what?   The only major thing I can think of that happened at Harley in 1948 was the introduction of the Pan Head.  What am I missing here?

Jerry :nixweiss:
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2010, 12:05:05 PM »

Considering Sportster's didn't exist until 1957 (the predecessor "K" models were introduced in 1952), I also don't follow the "48" designation.  Forty Eight what?  Dollars, horsepower, cubic inches, what?   The only major thing I can think of that happened at Harley in 1948 was the introduction of the Pan Head.  What am I missing here?

Jerry :nixweiss:

Must be the months in financing you have to take out to afford it.   :nixweiss:  It's definitely not cubic inches because I believe a 1200cc is 74ci.  They probably came up with "48" to do exactly what it's done, cause ppl to question where it came from distracting us from the fact that this is isn't going to do much for the MoCo.  JMO

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

marshall10

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHX
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2010, 05:46:37 PM »

once again 1948 is the year the peanut tank was introduced, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harley-Davidson_Hummer  i don't usually quote wikipedia, but they are accurate in this aspect.
Anyone can piss on the floor, but Chuck Norris can crap on the ceiling.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2010, 11:06:03 PM »

Yup, I think I remember reading somewhere that the first "peanut" tank came out in 1948 (not on that wikipedia page, however).  But it wasn't on a Sportster, since those didn't exist at the time.  So my question remains, why call this Sportster bobber a "48"?  And in this modern day and age, who in their right mind wants a two gallon fuel tank?  It might have been a great idea back when the engines were solid mounts and would buzz the fillings right out of your teeth so you needed to take a break every 30 miles, but the current rubber mounted bikes can actually be ridden for greater distances without permanent damage to your body.  Just one more case of Harley doing nothing to attract the folks who want a capable and modern motorcycle.  Spending maybe a week and a hundred bucks to "develop" one more retro styling exercise in a long line of do nothing styling exercises doesn't impress me.  Sorry if I'm not easily led or fooled, MoCo.

Want to sell some Sportster's?  Try putting some of Eric Buell's stuff on them, like his version of the Sporty engine that actually puts out some credible power, or some of his suspension ideas, or anything that is actually a functional improvement.  Putting different clothes on a tired old hag doesn't make her more than a tired old hag.  Thinking that the public is stupid enough to keep falling for this stuff is insulting.  BTW, MoCo, if I wanted a stripped down bobber that looked like something thrown together in someone's back yard, I could do it myself for a lot less.  Why don't you leave the "custom" stuff to the owners, and just work on improving the functionality, design, and quality of your product line?  Make a Sportster that is actually competitive with the competition, like back in 1957.

Jerry

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2010, 12:07:37 AM »

And in this modern day and age, who in their right mind wants a two gallon fuel tank? 

Two things come to mind Jerry.  As counterintuitive as it is to most of the group here there are guys (we shan't call them riders) for whom 50-60 miles is a long ride.  Guys that don't ride the highway and truly use their bikes like high speed vespa scooters.  There's a name for such posers but it escapes me now.  Other idea is HD markets paint to match "real" tanks for those that like to ride farther than they can walk.

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2010, 10:42:01 AM »

Moco should read this quote from Henry Ford!

"Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently."
 ~ Henry Ford ~

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2010, 12:41:50 PM »

Hey, I just had a thought!
OMG, don't fall out, it does happen.
Take the Rotax used in the Buells and put it in a Sportster chassis.
Leave it naked, no extra body work and even with the radiator it would be a fun bike.
What is that motor, 140 HP and a 100 Torque on a 450 lb naked bike, that would be a blast! (no pun intended)
Hey Jerry (GRC) can you get me a job with Harley, I bet they would sell more than 48 of those!

:2vrolijk_21:

SBB
Well, now we're gonna give people who've read some of our past banter a hard attack... But you and I are in complete argreement.  I've been arguing that after seing the Road Glide / Vrod conversion kits, that the MoCo should bring something like that out.  But I also think a stripped screamer like a bare Sporty with a killer motor would definetly get some real attention.  Especially if they took some of Buell's engineering that made those bikes handle so well.

and JC, good to see you here!  ;)
I've never left.  Never will.  I have an open forum relationship.  My forum allows me to play with other forums.  ;D  :o  ::)  Just crazy busy at work the last three month's since my firm got bought out.  Hoping the current lull lasts so us IT people can catch out breath.

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2010, 02:40:49 PM »

And then HD can sell the 3.3 gallon tank in the P&A catalog.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2010, 05:20:42 PM »

Well, now we're gonna give people who've read some of our past banter a hard attack... But you and I are in complete agreement.   Geeezzzz I'm batting 2 for 2! :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:  I've been arguing that after seing the Road Glide / Vrod conversion kits, that the MoCo should bring something like that out.  But I also think a stripped screamer like a bare Sporty with a killer motor would definetly get some real attention.  Especially if they took some of Buell's engineering that made those bikes handle so well. But since we are in the real world JC we know there's no way the MOCO would ever listen to the base of customers that have the ability to purchase their most expensive product and most likely can or will do it again.

I've never left.  Never will.  I have an open forum relationship.  My forum allows me to play with other forums.  JC, if it was really your forum I would have joined a long time ago. I always seek good info and CVOHarley is my #1 source of all good info CVO/Screamin Eagle related. There are other forums I play with and review, but this one is home.  ;D  :o  ::)  Just crazy busy at work the last three month's since my firm got bought out.  Hoping the current lull lasts so us IT people can catch our breath.  JC, I hope that lull last long enough for you to get some good riding in!

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Just a thought here JC since
But you and I are in complete agreement.

How about scheduling time to come ride with us at New River Gorge!

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=43289.0

I would be glad to add your name to the list!

Just let me know!

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2010, 07:26:01 PM »

Sorry, Chip.  We're keeping all travel on hold for this year, with my schedule so up in the air.  We're only comitting to the York tour becasue we're right around the corner, so to speak.  But I really appreciate the invite, and if that weekend ends up free for me, well WV is only a few hours away.  We could always ride in for a day to just say hi and take a ride with some folks.

And although it's not just my forum, I consider both places my home.  I've neve been mad at anyone here and hope that no-one here is mad at me.  If you're having fun it's all good!

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2010, 08:17:54 PM »

We could always ride in for a day to just say hi and take a ride with some folks.

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

OK
The entire event would be great but I'll buy into,
ride in for a day
I will start reminding you about a month out.
I am persistant!

;D    ;D    ;D

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

faceracer

• Faceracer
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2019 FLHRXS Road Kind Special
    • KY

• CVO1: 2019 FLHRXS Road King Special (not a cvo)
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2010, 06:44:41 PM »

YAWN

SBB

I agree! If Harley wants to attract younger people they need to compete with the sport bikes! Why not put a 98" motor in that Sporster and make it a "Sporster from Hell" I saw one once at the Sacramento speedway and it was turning flat 12sec. 1/4 miles. Now a hand full like that might attract a younger audience. I don't think a black paint job and a fatbob front end will do squat!   :nixweiss: BORING !!!!!!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 04:55:03 PM by faceracer »
2019 FLHRXS Road King Special
2016 FLSS Softail Slim Special
2009 CVO Road Glide FLTRSE3
2007 Cobalt Blue FLHX
2001 Chrome Yellow & vivid Black FXDL
1985 Candy Red FXRS
1955 Triumph T110 Tiger chopper built by me!

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2010, 07:35:54 PM »

Forty-Eight -- so named because its retro design contains elements first introduced in 1948
So, for MOCO it's a back to the future event (again). Must have an excess of black paint with the plant closures......WTF???? :nixweiss:  :soapbox:
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

CVOTequila

• Squee's Revenge
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE
Mods:
Mirror Chrome Agitator Wheels
Freedom Racing Duals
C&C Seat (Squeeter's Revenge)
Hawg Wired "Double Shots"
Hawg Wired Tweeters
Boogey Lights Fireworks
Kury License Plate
HD Chrome Accents on gauges/radio
Tune Trapper Antenna (hidden)
Riders Claw
Footboard/Passenger Extensions
SE Shift Linkage
Joker Machine Saddlebag Latches
Ness Flame Grips (billet)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.311 seconds with 21 queries.