Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Nolan N43 Trilogy Questions  (Read 4922 times)

woode

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Anniversary FLHTCUSE8
    • CVO2: (Retired) Ruby Red FLHTCUSE4
Nolan N43 Trilogy Questions
« on: February 02, 2010, 11:33:54 PM »

I currently use an H-D System II modular helmet with the stock Harley headset that came with my CUSE4.  Not great, but functional - average sound quality for music, but totally adequate for CB & intercom.  I was looking at the Nolan N43 for its versatility, but I'm not real familiar with the Ncom system.  I am not interested in bluetooth at all, as I am totally happy with the functionality of the wired system.  The Nolan dealer at the Cleveland motorcycle show said that I would need the following items to be able to use their components to connect to my H-D sound system:

The helmet - $269.95
Basic kit 2 - $109.95
Intercom Ebox - $149.95
Harley Mototcycle Audio Wire - $47.95

Seems like a lot to get basically the same as I now have, so here are my questions:
Is the helmet a quality item, and is it comfortable?
Is the sound quality superior to the HD headset?
Do all of the sound system features of the CUSE4 still work, including the passenter connection, intercom, etc.?  I will not be buying this stuff for the passenger, so I need to make sure that a standard headset will still work for the passenger.
Does it support stereo sound?

Thanks.

tompen

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: Nolan N43 Trilogy Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 11:17:58 AM »

I have a N-102 with n-com bluetooth and the Harley wire. I like it. It is not stereo. I think some of the newer stuff is. I didn't find it an upgrade from the Harley headset for sound quality. It does do everything the Harley head set does. You could save some money if you want to shop around. For instance. http://www.helmetshop.com/ncom.html has the N-43 for $194.00 and free shipping.

woode

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 01:27:16 AM »

Thanks for the feedback.  I called helmetshop, and they in fact do have a stereo headset by Nolan, but they actually recommend using the J&M unit that is made to fit the Nolan helmet, so I think that I will go that route.  It's cheaper, and the guy told me that the quality is superior to H-D and Nolan.

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 02:10:04 PM »

Just got a pair from J&M . The installation is flawless and they sound great in one ear. The other is stone deaf.

woode

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 02:48:35 PM »

Is that because the device is faulty, or because you are deaf in one ear? :-\

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 03:14:53 PM »

Is that because the device is faulty, or because you are deaf in one ear? :-\

Got one ear working. Helement is fine. I guess.

redrodo

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2016 CVO Limited
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 03:53:24 PM »

I have a Nolan N-102 (older version) with J&M Elite Series.The HD lower cord also has a ear phone jack. The speakers have medium to good sound. When on a long intersate ride I put my Bose ear buds in for great sound. This is a good set up for me when I wear this helmet. It's to my understanding that the lower cord ear phone jack is available in the elite series only. Hope this helps.

tompen

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 05:53:30 PM »

Thanks for the feedback.  I called helmetshop, and they in fact do have a stereo headset by Nolan, but they actually recommend using the J&M unit that is made to fit the Nolan helmet, so I think that I will go that route.  It's cheaper, and the guy told me that the quality is superior to H-D and Nolan.

Glad we could help. We do loooove to help you spend your money. ;D

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 11:38:05 AM »

Just got a pair from J&M . The installation is flawless and they sound great in one ear. The other is stone deaf.

We switched to the 103 and N43 from the Nolan N102.  We used our module from the 102 and had the same problem.  Jim (hd-dude on this forum) got us a horseshoe shapped piece for the module, put it in and now have stereo. :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

mark61

• CVO1: '08 SEEG
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010, 12:39:16 PM »

I'm looking at the N43 Trilogy.  What did you get figured out? What unit did you get? Are you getting stereo?  Thanks for the reply.

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2010, 12:46:12 PM »

I'm looking at the N43 Trilogy.  What did you get figured out? What unit did you get? Are you getting stereo?  Thanks for the reply.

I got the helment from J&M works great

woode

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2010, 03:48:01 PM »

I haven't made a final decision yet, but this is what the guy from the Helmet Shop recommended and quoted:

N43 trilogy - $242
J&M 279 Headset - $179
J&M Lower Cord (w/H-D connector) - $19.99

If I went with the Elite headset, the combination of the headset and lower cord would be $67.99 more.  He felt that although it has a thicker speaker, the overall sound quality is not noticeable, and he implied that it would require altering the interior of the helmet's foam liner.

Ed

lvse110se5

• Las Vegas Rick
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 Ultra Classic
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2010, 11:23:30 PM »

I bought the n43 trilogy from j&m and love it. I have never been a full face helmet rider, but at the same time do a lot of long distance riding and have been caught in hellatious rain storms where I wished that i had a full face. I love the drop down sun visor and the fact that you can remove the chin guard if yoy want. Also as added bonus, the n43 is built for the communication/speaker system and it is the first decent sound from the stereo that I have heard in a helmet attached to a harley. I also have a arai with the j&m installed and it does not compare with the nolan trilogy.

woode

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2010, 03:00:37 AM »

I finally bought the helmet and the J&M headset, and I've got mixed feelings.  The helmet is relatively comfortable, and certainly versatile.  

The sun visor is absolutely useless to me for a couple of reasons.  First, it does not drop down far enough to completely cover my vision. If it is all the way down, it is right in front of my eyes (that is, the bottom of the visor crosses my line of sight).  It would actually be useful partially lowered to block the rising or setting sun, but they designed it with a large cutout for the nose, that makes it unusable for any meaningful sun blocking.  Hopefully, someone will offer an aftermarket visor without the nose cutout.  

I find the sound quality of the J&M speakers to be adequate, if not substandard.  There is almost no high frequency, and above 40 MPH, most of the sound quality is lost.  I have an IMC Motorsport headset for use with a half helmet that has FAR superior sound, and it is exposed to the elements.  I assumed that a headset embedded into a closed helmet would provide better acoustics with less noise.  

The face shield of the helmet is large, clear, and does a great job blocking wind.  The helmet is much quieter (wind and road noise) than my H-D modular.  I started using the helmet when the mornings were still cold, and it fogs very quickly.  The shield has a great return mechanism, which unfortunately prevents you from cracking it open a bit to clear the fog.  So, it's all or nothing if you want to be able to see.

So, still not sure if I have upgraded, or just added another helmet to the collection.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 03:41:15 PM by woode »

lvse110se5

• Las Vegas Rick
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 Ultra Classic
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2010, 07:55:33 PM »

Well, sorry to hear that. I have had mine out on half a dozen rides and I think it is great. My sun visor works fine and does not cut my vision in half, and the spound system, while not an I-pod I thought sounded fine, especially when compared to harley and the j&M earlier version. I wounder if your helmet fitment is correct. Just a thought.

dave29

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2010, 08:02:55 PM »

Been looking at this helmet. Not one for communication devices but wanted to know what you guys think about the helmet. Is it comfortable? Vision? Easy to take on and off?
I have been riding with a 3/4 for about 25 years and was thinking about a modular helmet. The reviews have been great but wanted to know what you guys think.
dave29

woode

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2010, 11:09:55 PM »

Well, sorry to hear that. I have had mine out on half a dozen rides and I think it is great. My sun visor works fine and does not cut my vision in half, and the spound system, while not an I-pod I thought sounded fine, especially when compared to harley and the j&M earlier version. I wounder if your helmet fitment is correct. Just a thought.
I thought about that, but it is a large, and fits my noggin pretty good.  I tried an XL at a motorcycle show, and it bounced around on my head - way too big.

I actually don't have any problems with the helmet itself, just the sun visor and lo-fi sound - which I think is inferior to the H-D headset.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 21 queries.