Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Anybody adjust their headlight lately???  (Read 4708 times)

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
Anybody adjust their headlight lately???
« on: February 08, 2010, 01:32:55 PM »

I still need to do something that needed doing from the moment my bike was delivered inside my garage back in November.  Adjust the headlight.  It shines to the left and up in the air.  On normal beam, it is about the level it should be on high beam.  I know I'd have to remove the fairing/windshield but behond that, it seems a little difficult to get tools into the 2 places I believe the bolts are.  Does anybody have any experience on this just yet?  Doesn't it seem odd that we are charged for dealer prep and set-up and somehow this important thing doesn't get addressed?  My last new bike was same way delivered.  Anybody got an answer to how to get into the area to make the adjustments?  thanks.   

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

Re: Anybody adjust their headlight lately???
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 01:36:21 PM »

If it is an Ultra all you need to do is remove the headlight ring and get to the adjusters, what I found on my 06 was the socket that hods the bulb shook loose and was not engaged in the holder.  Fixed that and the light was then in the correct place, no adjustment needed.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 01:59:57 PM »

I am specifically referring to this bike.  I imagine all bikes are similar but all bikes also have significant differences that make specific tasks different as well.  
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 05:46:54 PM by porkypig »

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE CVO Softail Convertible
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 10:38:49 PM »

Porky,

I am going the full monte and converting the headlight to HID for the added light. Mine was adjusted fine from the factory, but you know how it is, I can't leave well enough alone...

Mike
Fullsac 1.75" Baffles / TTS / Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads / H-D LED Headlight / CeeBailey Windshield

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 10:24:32 AM »

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/

This guy knows lighting.

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 03:56:41 PM »

but you know how it is, I can't leave well enough alone...

Mike

Mike, my gf is an OR nurse and one of her favorite doctors she works with is always saying, "the enemy of good is better "   ha!    Is there a lot involved to do that? 

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 12:06:55 AM »

It depends. Given that I work 60-80 hours a week these days not including a daily 3 hour commute, my "involvement" will be bringing the ConV down to a local shop that specializes in custom MC lighting. There it will get some bright LED turn signals front and rear including the load equalizers so the blink rate and the alarm functions normally, the HID headlight conversion, a 135 db air horn (more on that later),  2 sets of leads running from the battery to the handlebars (one for a GPS that I use occasionally and one for future use) and finally some very discreetly placed LED's to light up all that chrome on the engine and wheels. Given the color of the bike orange was the obvious choice. The shop does show quality work and they can turn it around in 2 days.

Now  on to the horn. I was seriously considering one of the Pro Pad Mini Beast series horns until I saw the ones they carry. They use the same Stiebel horn that the Mini Beast has inside but the case looks just like the HD horn. It is about 25% bigger and unless you looked closely at it you may not even notice it was a not stock horn (until I hit the button hehehe ). It is exactly what I was looking for.

So as much as I love doing the work myself, any spare time I have will be spent riding. I will post pictures as soon as the work is done.

Mike
Fullsac 1.75" Baffles / TTS / Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads / H-D LED Headlight / CeeBailey Windshield

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 01:07:53 AM »

wow, that is some plans for the bike.  Will you have enough extra watts to run all that stuff??  Maybe the extra wattage used by the air horn and the HID light will be saved by the LED's?  Sounds great, whatever happens.  I added the air Horn that Harley puts out but my biggest gripe would be that it is made of plastic.  Chromed plastic!!!  Looks nice though.  Jury is still out on whether it will be heard by a car out on the highway.  Sounds good and loud standing next to it with no other sounds around you.  scare the crap out of you, matter of fact.  Just not sure how it is heard on the open road.  Guess I'd have to be in a car ahead of somebody riding my bike and blowing the horn and that aiiiiiiiinnnnnt gonna happen!  ha!  Bought a few chrome bolts today and ordered a few more.  Getting it ready to go on a ride this weekend.  Maybe snap a new picture with the bike.  That would be the same pose as I had with my 750 Honda about 33 years ago.  Reenacted it 6 years ago with my 05 Heritage so guess it is time to make it a 3-some.  But time to hit the sack now.  Take care.   

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 07:03:04 AM »

Otay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,time for an update to this headlight issue.  Turns out it isn't as difficult as I thought it may be.  Don't really have to take the windshield off but doesn't hurt to have a little extra elbow room to work.  Turn the front wheel to the left (ah, ah, ah, ah.......don't forget to have your keyfob with you!!!......ha!)  , stand in front of the bike and reach inside from behind the headlight opening on the right side of the bike (boy, does that sound like it makes sense???) with a 9/16" open end/box end wrench.  Use the box end so it doesn't fall off and scratch 14 coats of paint or any chrome (the other precious metal).  Have your right hand on the headlight and your left hand at the wrench.  Just a gentle cooperation of both hands will adjust your light up or down a little bit.  Sort of a trial and error method really.  The bolt/nut that you are adjusting is verrrrrrrrrrrrry tight and them "fact'ry boys" really put the tight to them.  Still have not figured out how to get a wrench on the bolt head and nut at the same time bacause you have to have the front wheel turned to one side or another to gain access to the head or the nut. Only get one choice.  It works this way, that's all I can say at this point.  As far as the side to side issue, under the headlight is the adjustment bolt for that.  I put the wrench on it and as I turned the bolt to the right side of the bike, the light came that direction as well.  Probably not much lubricant on some of these things from the factory so may have to just work on them a little.  Years ago when I wore a younger man's clothes, I used to think that when they designed a car engine they started out with the oil filter and designed the engine around that........(know what I mean, as far as getting the filter changed???.....you old guys???). Well, I think a similar principle applies here.  At the factory school they must teach these guys "technique" in how to work around these design issues.  Specialty tools don't hurt either.  My tool bag is full of them by now.  ha!  Anyway, hope this helps anybody that is having no problem at all seeing the "big dipper" with their headlight at night.  This should put the low beam back on the road in my lane as it should of been from the get go.  I will try this out this evening and see if I made the difference I started out to make.  On to the next problem to solve..... Pork!

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 01:00:50 PM »

Pork,

That's great info, thanks. While we are talking headlights here is an update on my mods. The 5.75" headlight on the Convertible does not leave much room to tuck in a HID ballast. I spoke to Daniel Stern extensively about the lighting options and it is his opinion that the optics on the HD headlight are designed with more form than function in mind. In other words the the clear glass in front may look nice but does not effectively focus or throw the light where it needs to be. He recommended the following:

Replacement headlight:  http://store.candlepower.com/ca5quhahebun.html

Osram Rallye (slightly higher wattage) replacement bulb:  http://store.candlepower.com/64205.html

He also mentioned that the light cone produced by an HID bulb needs to have a headlight designed specifically for it so the optics focus the light where it needs to be be. Right now there are few "engineered" solutions for our bike so the bulb and headlight upgrades make sense. This should be a significant upgrade over stock and lower cost than HID's. Daniel seems to be highly regarded around the forums when it comes to lighting so I am going to give it a try. By the way he gave me a link with instruction on how to aim a headlight you might want to check out: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html

Mike V.

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 02:33:30 PM »

Mike, sounds like the HID is not an option anytime soon on this bike.  It also sounds like the bulb you are recommending you need to buy the "glass" as well as the replaceable "bulb".  Doesn't appear to break the bank.  I struggled with the stock bulb on my 05 Heritage for a couple years before going to a PIAA H4 bulb I believe.  Was about 50% brighter and really made a noticeable difference.  I may try the bulbs you are recommending.  Let us know how they do for you.  Now that I have mine hopefully adjusted somewhat correctly (I will adjust it so it looks right to me......so I can see plenty far at night, up close, as well as nobody flashes their lights at me either).  Can't have too much light from my perspective.  thanks for your info.

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2010, 03:02:43 PM »

You may not "need" the glass, but when I asked Daniel the same question he said he given the choice, he would rather have focused well directed light than a brighter bulb any day. That was a pretty strong endorsement for the glass. Besides, it looks kinda retro which I think suits the overall look of the bike. It should be waiting at my door when I get home so I should be able to get it on the bike in the next couple of days and let you know how it comes out.

Mike

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2010, 03:09:08 PM »

You order it direct thru Candlepower?
How long of delivery time?   

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2010, 03:53:49 PM »

Yep. I ordered it yesterday, arrived today from Candlepower. They are in MD and I am in NY so that explains the quick turnaround. Spoke to a couple of the crew there - they are great guys to work with.

Mike

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2010, 01:40:04 AM »

Well, I took my new adjustment to the street this evening and it was still quite high.  I meant what I said when I said I was seeing the big dipper with my headlight on bright.  So, I pulled up to the side of a local church and shined the light on the side of the building.  Tried my usual technique of standing in the front of the bike.  No soap!!  So, I climbed in the saddle, and turning the front wheel to the left, reached in from the right with the wrench and using my left hand over the shield, pressed down on the light and put it down just a little bit more but with more ease from this position.  Works much better sitting in the seat; plus you can see it move on the wall. Took it to the street and was mucho impressed.  Works very well, indeed, even better than my last light on the Heritage.  So, can hardly wait to hear what Mike V. comes up with for results from his new light/bulb.  I'm sure it will be amazing!

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2010, 12:48:12 PM »

Mike, I have been under the impression that the "glass" that guy recommended to you would have focusing optics in the front glass of the headlight that would add focusing ability for the light.  I know that the front of the glass on this bike is clear and has no focusing lines, thicknesses, or etc. whatsover.  The one on my 05 Heritage was exactly the same.  All the lines, etc. were at the back of the headlight, built into the rear glass and then chromed.  I do know that putting in a PiAA bulb increased the light output in my 05 probably a strong 50%.  I believe before I try anything else, I will put that PiAA bulb in and see what results i get.  Of course I am anxiously awaiting what you report on the new glass and bulb recommended by your contact.  Do you remember, is the front part of the glass also contain lines in the glass to focus, etc.?   

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2010, 04:41:38 PM »

Pork,

Yes the glass does have the optical elements in front for focusing. Also before you get the PIAA light try the Osram Rallye bulb. I did the upgrade and while I did not take before and after pictures, I was very noticeably brighter. I like the look of it as well, it adds to the retro look of the bike. I may order one of those HD symbols that the current headlight has and stick it in the center of this light. The part # is in the parts catalog.

I have not been out after dark so I can't give full details yet. I will let you know as soon as I do. I posted the links to the lens and bulbs a fewreplies back.

Mike

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2010, 10:39:12 PM »

Pork,

I finally got out tonight with the new headlight / bulb setup and wouldn't you know it, 747's were following me in for a landing it was pointing so high! Well it was not that bad, the low beam was like a slightly high high beam and the high beam was in the sky. So I will need to adjust mine as you did. From what I did see the beam was tight and well defined and very bright. I cannot wait to see it pointed in the right direction but I can tell you I was pleased with what I saw so far. More to come when it is properly aligned.

Mike

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2010, 12:33:48 AM »

Absolutely!!  This your first time out at night???  heh-heh!  Now it makes me want to put that spare piAA bulb in right away (maybe tomorrow night) and see what difference it makes by itself.     Still waiting on your (better) results.

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2010, 02:19:30 AM »

Well, guys, tonite I replaced the stock bulb with that Piaa bulb.  I believe it will be significantly brighter.  Tomorrow morning I may drive to work and will be able to make a better assessment.  The only thing that gave me fits was that they have changed the design of the black plug end for the headlight harness.  The one on my 05 Heritage just pulled right off (just like they say in the 05 softail book and the '10 softail book.  However, in the real world, they have added a couple little tabs on the side of the plug you must squeeze with your fingers or you can pull on the plug all week long and it won't release.  Spent time taking it all apart to finally discover that at the end.  Changed the bulb then in record time and took it out for a test drive.  I think I will be more pleased with this bulb than the stock one but am still waiting for a report from Mike on the bulb/headlamp combo he ordered.  Let us know as soon as you can.
I wish someone could tell me why the stuff they put on these bikes differs from the information they put in their books.  They certainly aren't cheap and when they just say, "remove plug" and it really doesn't work that way, it is particularly iritating.  I guess I should be thankful for the information that is in there that is correct.  I did get my headlight ring compressed down to about 1/16" space is all.  I used a little silicone lubricant on the surfaces of the ring to allow it to slide maybe a little more.  By itself, the ring will close 100% so I think some of the problem is friction all around the headlight on some of them.  Give that a try, some of you that still have a 1/4" gap.    Later,  Porky
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 21 queries.