Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: FXR3 vs. FXDSE2  (Read 15061 times)

JamesButler

• Full CVO Member
FXR3 vs. FXDSE2
« on: February 26, 2010, 08:21:12 PM »

Hello,
I'm a fairly new member to this forum but have learned a lot from the posts here. I am a former owner of a '91 FXSTC which i bought new as a 21 year-old because I liked the way it looked. I kept it until I sold it in '99.  I have not owned a bike since then.  I am in the market to buy another HD and am looking at an '99 FXR3 or an '08 FXDSE2. The FXR is appealing b/c of its legend as being the best handling bike the moco ever made. I was able to ride an FXRS in '91 and it handled so much nicer than my Softail.  Anyway, my question is "How does the FXDSE2-with its inverted forks and drawn in rake-match up against the FXR's handling. Or is the FXR still the best handling bike the moco has made? I realize they are two different engines - EVO vs. Twin Cam, and I understand the history behind both, but I am looking for some info from the experienced riders here. Thanks.

JamesButler

• Full CVO Member
Re: FXR3 vs. FXDSE2
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 04:05:28 PM »

To add to my post, A Dealership near me wants $22,900.00 for a green flame w/ only 13mi on it (yes, Thirteen miles! Saw it in person today). I think that's Highway Robbery if they get it, too much to ask even for a blue flame, which it wasn't. But MAN!... does that bike look SWEET! Apparently, he held on to it all this time, according to salesman. Made it awkward when I offered $15K for it.  Hell, the bike's been sitting for 11 years with no action!  But my question remains: How does the CVO SE Dyna, particularly the '08 with its inverted forks and 29* rake, compare handling-wise against the FXR?  Anybody?

scobar44

• CVO1: 1999 FXR2, Arresting Red
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 06:27:10 PM »

James:

My FXR2 is my 5th Harley.  My first was a '99 FXDX, followed by '01 Road King, then '93 Anniversery Sportster, then '01 Electra Glide Classic,  and now the FXR2.

I've not ridden the newest models of Harleys, but the 11 year old FXR2 (for 1-up riding), in my opinion is the best and most comfortable machine available with a HD label on it.  After I got the FXR2, I kind of lost interest in investigating any of Harley's new models.

Just my opinion.  Plus, if you take you time and look around, you can find several FXR2's, 3's and 4's for half of what they're asking for the new machine.

Scott
Scott

JamesButler

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 07:54:44 PM »

Scott- I agree.  I've seen several for sale online ranging from $9K to $14K.  The problem is traveling out to wherever to see them and then transporting it back. Adds an extra thousand or so.  Anyway, thanks for the response.  I'm looking for the best deal out there now.  Will pull the trigger soon.

lucille

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 12:40:36 AM »

I'm looking for the best deal out there now.  Will pull the trigger soon.

I agree with the other posters......after riding a FXR, other H-D's just aren't that interesting anymore...
Does it have to be a CVO FXR?......non-CVO = FXR1

Hope you find what you're after.  You won't regret a FXR.....good luck!
'92 FXRS Lowrider.....
'91 FXRT.....113 S&S...6 speed

JamesButler

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 07:39:31 AM »

Thanks Lucille-
The main reason I am looking at the CVO FXR is that they are the latest models, usually one owner, less miles on them,  usually closest to stock and are cared for just a little better b/c they are CVO bikes. Ofcourse, that's not always the case but seems to make sense after seeing the quality of FXR 2-3-4's for sale out there.

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 09:14:31 AM »

To add to my post, A Dealership near me wants $22,900.00 for a green flame w/ only 13mi on it (yes, Thirteen miles! Saw it in person today). I think that's Highway Robbery if they get it, too much to ask even for a blue flame, which it wasn't. But MAN!... does that bike look SWEET! Apparently, he held on to it all this time, according to salesman. Made it awkward when I offered $15K for it.  Hell, the bike's been sitting for 11 years with no action!  But my question remains: How does the CVO SE Dyna, particularly the '08 with its inverted forks and 29* rake, compare handling-wise against the FXR?  Anybody?

Personal opinion...it's expensive. I found my FXR4 with 2477 original miles and owner for 10 grand.......better than new!!

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 09:34:32 AM »

Personal opinion...it's expensive. I found my FXR4 with 2477 original miles and owner for 10 grand.......better than new!!

I have to agree with Jorge...  $22,900 is double+ the current value - and if you plan on riding it, as soon as it has a couple thousand miles on it, you will quickly loose half the value of the purchase...

I'll buy 5,000 miles @ $10,000 all day over 13 miles @ $22,900...just saying...
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 10:16:06 AM »

I have to agree with Jorge...  $22,900 is double+ the current value - and if you plan on riding it, as soon as it has a couple thousand miles on it, you will quickly loose half the value of the purchase...

I'll buy 5,000 miles @ $10,000 all day over 13 miles @ $22,900...just saying...

...me too, those E-motors are pretty much immune to miles. I'd look more at the overall condition of the bike. On a older bike count on replacing the motor mounts and that's about it. I used to shim them with a crushed beer can when I had to.  :drink:    Doc

JamesButler

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 06:43:11 PM »

Yeah, I agree with you guys; dealer's price way too high.  I've seen some others out there who are selling their FXR3's for @$18K which still seems high. I think $12-$13K would be as high as I might go, but it would have to be fairly low miles and close to stock.  OTHERWISE, If anyone knows of an FXR3 out there for sale for @$10K please. let me know either on this thread or my email nedd1966@aol.com . I'm assuming it would be a Green Flame. Thanks.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 08:38:57 PM »

Yeah, I agree with you guys; dealer's price way too high.  I've seen some others out there who are selling their FXR3's for @$18K which still seems high. I think $12-$13K would be as high as I might go, but it would have to be fairly low miles and close to stock.  OTHERWISE, If anyone knows of an FXR3 out there for sale for @$10K please. let me know either on this thread or my email nedd1966@aol.com . I'm assuming it would be a Green Flame. Thanks.

Asking maybe...probably not selling for that price. 

Spend some time searching the web and you will find plenty of low mileage FXR3/FXR4's in the 10K to 12.5K range .   :2vrolijk_21:
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2010, 09:34:47 PM »

Yeah, I agree with you guys; dealer's price way too high.  I've seen some others out there who are selling their FXR3's for @$18K which still seems high. I think $12-$13K would be as high as I might go, but it would have to be fairly low miles and close to stock.  OTHERWISE, If anyone knows of an FXR3 out there for sale for @$10K please. let me know either on this thread or my email nedd1966@aol.com . I'm assuming it would be a Green Flame. Thanks.

I just about got caught up in that $18K business when I was looking for a Blue Flame.  Ended up finding a nice one with 6,600 miles on it and close to stock that I paid $13,500 for two years ago during what I'd call the height of the market (right before the recession hit).  Your $12-$13K range sounds right in today's market for a blue one in the condition you're looking for, but you oughta be able to buy green ones all day long in the $10K range if you look around.

Good luck! :2vrolijk_21:

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2010, 10:41:37 AM »

Bought my FXR4 with 5000mi for $10K last year.  $640 to ship it.  You will love these bikes.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

brianyz250f

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2010, 03:38:26 PM »

got a 99 fxr3 for sale. good condition. 10,000 miles $9000 or best offer

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2010, 05:52:48 PM »

got a 99 fxr3 for sale. good condition. 10,000 miles $9000 or best offer

Green or Blue?

Pictures?
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Garrys99FXR3

• CVO1: 1999 FXR3 Green
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2010, 08:30:36 PM »

I live in KY and found my 99 fxr3 green in VA. He started out wanting $12.500 on e-bay. I didn't bid on it, call him up and found out he needed the money and got it for $10.000. Best bike i ever ridden, keep looking there out there, keep my out for you.

JamesButler

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2010, 06:16:45 AM »

Garry,
It's good to see you got a deal. Hopefully, one will appear for me soon.  In the meantime, I'm still looking. Thanks for looking, too.

JamesButler

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2010, 12:08:30 PM »

Got a line on an almost stock Green Flame (V&H exhaust) with only 16 HUNDRED mi. (1,630); windshield and original exhaust included) for $9.5K.  Garage kept, no nicks, dings or dents.  Saw pix- great  looking bike. Going to check it out in person this week to see if it is as advertised.  Seems like the best deal out there for this model after searching for about 2+ months. Most Green Flames I've seen for that price have over 15k mi. Also, talked to two owners of bonestock Blue Flames with less than 500 miles on each.  One wants $13,250.00, which IMO is a fair price and was very tempting, but the other wants $19K (too high IMO).  For What It's Worth and FYI - Kelley Blue Book values I saw on a site yesterday for the FXR3 (not specified for Bl. or GR. flames) were $11,625.00 for "Suggested Retail Value" and $8,540.00 for "Suggested Trade-In Value".  NADA prices I saw had only values for FXR2's. "Low Value" was $6,920.00 and "Avg. Value" was $7,658.00  "+/- 10%-30% based on market conditions."  Therefore, it seems unrealistic for anyone to expect to sell an FXR3 for more than $15K, no matter the color or condition of the bike, IMO. I guess though, it's all very subjective. Anyone agree or disagree?

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2010, 02:18:19 PM »

no matter the year, the bike, the color, the milage or the condition ... they are only worth what a BUYER is willing to pay for them ......

to me, my Candy Tangerine FXR4  is worth about $50K if someone wants to buy it, otherwise I'm keeping it     :pepper:

Good luck in your search !!   sounds like your on the right track and will find your bike before long !!
2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
The Build -
•   SE Heads w/Cometic .030 gaskets
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
•   Compu-Fire Single Fire Ignition
•   Rivera taper-lite chromolly adjustable push rods
•   Chrome lifter blocks w/HD B lifters
•   Pro-Force One AC and breather kit
•   Vance and Hines straight shots

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2010, 07:13:46 PM »

Sounds like wherever you're looking, you're turning up some good leads.  I had a he!! of a time finding blue flames in that price range with low miles like that 2 years ago.  And the green one you found sounds like a great deal, too.  Yeah, more than $15,000 and someone has too much sentimental value or perceived collectibility factored into it.  Good luck and hope you close the deal on one soon.

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2010, 10:17:53 PM »

OK, I"ve lowered my price ..... anyone that wants to buy my FXR4 can get it for $28,900.00

it has about 45K miles on it, and ridden long, far and HARD .... she likes it that way !!!

In order to make her even more valuable I need about another 20K miles on her ... at which time I'll be rising the price, so if you think your interested you best get serious quick cause the price is going back up !!!!!!!!!!
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

JamesButler

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2010, 03:03:30 PM »

Well, after an extensive 3-month search, I finally purchased a green flame from a private seller in San Antonio, TX for $9,500.00.  He had it listed on Craigslist for $10,000 OBO about a half day when I saw it and called him.  After he described the bike and sent me some more pics, I offered him 9K.  He responded with $9,500.00, and we had a tentative deal.  It has 1,625 miles on it and is completely stock with  V & H straights, detach windshield and the original exhaust in a box. Told him i would come down from Phila to check it out, and if it was all he described, I would buy it.  He agreed and took down the craigslist ad in good faith. I Arranged for HaulBikes to ship it back to me in the Phila area for $497.00. All told with airfare, hotel, shipping, food, tourism, etc., the extra cost was @ $1,500.00 (not bad for a three day mini vacation).  I got to see the Alamo and experience the San Antonio Riverwalk area for three days. Also checked out the San Antonio Art Museum and met some nice people, including the seller of the bike who lived in Spring Branch, TX - about 35 miles north of San Antonio.  I was all set to take a cab from downtown SA out to his place to see the bike, but he offered on coming to pick me up and drive me - saved me about a $100.00+ cab ride. When we got to his place, the bike was sitting there in the driveway cleaned up and ready to ride. Dude handed me the keys and told me to test ride the bike up and down his access road.  I was a little nervous because it was the going to be the first time I had ridden a bike in close to 15 years, since i last rode my '91 Softail Custom.  Immediately felt  how smooth the ride on this FXR was compared to the memory of my Softail.  A lot less vibration and easier shifting. The mid controls will take a little getting used to, but will keep them.  Anyway, I returned from the 15-minute test ride after going thru the gears several times and was ready to buy. We drew up an agreement of sale, and he handed me the title as I handed him the cash. He told me he would drop off the original exhaust at the Harley dealership where I had arranged to have the bike picked up by the shipping co., which he did the next day. Got  some quick directions from him to the HD dealership, and I was on my way. The only problem I faced now was that I had to ride the bike without a license plate from the seller's house to the HD dealership, which was about 20 miles or so. About 5 miles into the ride, I stopped at a red light on 281, and a police car pulled up behind me.  Thought for sure He was going to pull me over.  The light lasted for what seemed to be five minutes before it turned green. He stayed behind me in traffic, for another few lights, each which seemed to last for eternity. Kept glancing in the rear view, but still no sign that he wanted to stop me. Finally came to my exit, which I was shocked that I remembered. With the excitement of buying the bike, riding for the first time in 15 years, not exactly sure where I was going, without a tag, my mind was racing as was my heart. Signaled, switched lanes and went up the exit ramp to 1604 and was relieved to see him still headed south.  Let out a heavy sigh of relief. Then it started to rain for the next several miles, and just as I was about to pull over and wait it out, I saw the dealership sign looming in the distance about a mile away.  Pulled in safely, a little wet but relieved. Introduced myself to the service manager, whom I had spoken with a few days earlier about holding the bike for me ( free of charge BTW), until the shipping co. arrived. Looked around the dealership a little bit, bought a couple T-shirts as a sign of my appreciation, then called a cab back to my hotel room. Bike should arrive in a week or so. Can't wait to ride it again! 

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2010, 04:00:44 PM »

Well, after an extensive 3-month search, I finally purchased a green flame from a private seller in San Antonio, TX for $9,500.00.  He had it listed on Craigslist for $10,000 OBO about a half day when I saw it and called him.  After he described the bike and sent me some more pics, I offered him 9K.  He responded with $9,500.00, and we had a tentative deal.  It has 1,625 miles on it and is completely stock with  V & H straights, detach windshield and the original exhaust in a box. Told him i would come down from Phila to check it out, and if it was all he described, I would buy it.  He agreed and took down the craigslist ad in good faith. I Arranged for HaulBikes to ship it back to me in the Phila area for $497.00. All told with airfare, hotel, shipping, food, tourism, etc., the extra cost was @ $1,500.00 (not bad for a three day mini vacation).  I got to see the Alamo and experience the San Antonio Riverwalk area for three days. Also checked out the San Antonio Art Museum and met some nice people, including the seller of the bike who lived in Spring Branch, TX - about 35 miles north of San Antonio.  I was all set to take a cab from downtown SA out to his place to see the bike, but he offered on coming to pick me up and drive me - saved me about a $100.00+ cab ride. When we got to his place, the bike was sitting there in the driveway cleaned up and ready to ride. Dude handed me the keys and told me to test ride the bike up and down his access road.  I was a little nervous because it was the going to be the first time I had ridden a bike in close to 15 years, since i last rode my '91 Softail Custom.  Immediately felt  how smooth the ride on this FXR was compared to the memory of my Softail.  A lot less vibration and easier shifting. The mid controls will take a little getting used to, but will keep them.  Anyway, I returned from the 15-minute test ride after going thru the gears several times and was ready to buy. We drew up an agreement of sale, and he handed me the title as I handed him the cash. He told me he would drop off the original exhaust at the Harley dealership where I had arranged to have the bike picked up by the shipping co., which he did the next day. Got  some quick directions from him to the HD dealership, and I was on my way. The only problem I faced now was that I had to ride the bike without a license plate from the seller's house to the HD dealership, which was about 20 miles or so. About 5 miles into the ride, I stopped at a red light on 281, and a police car pulled up behind me.  Thought for sure He was going to pull me over.  The light lasted for what seemed to be five minutes before it turned green. He stayed behind me in traffic, for another few lights, each which seemed to last for eternity. Kept glancing in the rear view, but still no sign that he wanted to stop me. Finally came to my exit, which I was shocked that I remembered. With the excitement of buying the bike, riding for the first time in 15 years, not exactly sure where I was going, without a tag, my mind was racing as was my heart. Signaled, switched lanes and went up the exit ramp to 1604 and was relieved to see him still headed south.  Let out a heavy sigh of relief. Then it started to rain for the next several miles, and just as I was about to pull over and wait it out, I saw the dealership sign looming in the distance about a mile away.  Pulled in safely, a little wet but relieved. Introduced myself to the service manager, whom I had spoken with a few days earlier about holding the bike for me ( free of charge BTW), until the shipping co. arrived. Looked around the dealership a little bit, bought a couple T-shirts as a sign of my appreciation, then called a cab back to my hotel room. Bike should arrive in a week or so. Can't wait to ride it again! 

Congratulations on your new ride and a smooth deal...   :2vrolijk_21:  Your gonna love it!
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2010, 04:03:34 PM »

Congrats. Great scooters! Tons of fun to ride.

JW
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 10:18:32 PM by Black Diamond »

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2010, 05:23:25 PM »

Congrats!  Great story.  You're gonna love the bike!

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2010, 05:56:20 PM »

Congrats on the new ride! Sounds like a solid transaction. Always nice to see those go down. Looking forward to some photos!

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2010, 08:54:35 PM »

KEWL !!!!!!!!!

Great story !

Glad you found one that you like and a price that you were good with

Congratulations to you !!!!!!!!

Enjoy it !!!

Ride Safe  ............

ride it to the GTG in June in Maggie Valley !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

JamesButler

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2010, 05:00:32 PM »

Thanks to all for the support!  Now I want a Blue!  Will post some pics when the bike arrives.  Fxr4Mikey, has the GTG been switched to September, or is it in June?

JamesButler

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2010, 11:27:58 PM »

And Big thanks to Charlie and Reuben in the Service Dept. at Cowboys Alamo City Harley Davidson in San Antonio.  They gave me no hassles about holding the bike until the Hauling co. came to pick it up a week later than forecasted.

JamesButler

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2010, 03:27:38 PM »

Still anxiously awaiting the arrival of my recently purchased FXR3. Called Haul Bikes yesterday and they said it should arrive sometime next week. This weekend would have been a great time for it to come though.  Temps are in the 70's and so too would be the speedo.  Anyway, with all this idle time my mind gets to racing, and at the risk of showing my ignorance and lack of wrench knowledge, here goes, "Would it be to expensive/difficult/impossible for the Moco to assemble or fit a 110" SE twin cam engine onto an FXR frame (given that there were any frames left over)?  Tone down the chrome accessories just a bit, maybe add on some inverted forks, slap on variations of the FXR3 paint schemes (similar to the Black and silver and green found on the FXSTSE3), and to me it would seem to be the best of both worlds (in the MoCo realm, at least); the latest big twin engine HD has on the market paired with the best built frame it has ever made. It would be like having an FXR3 on steroids! Call it the FXR5, throw a $25k price tag on it, and sign me up for one.  Any thoughts, any takers? Somebody reel me in, shoot this down and bring me back to reality.   

scobar44

• CVO1: 1999 FXR2, Arresting Red
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2010, 07:49:46 PM »

Cool off, Hot Rod!

I think your gonna find the EVO engine has got the punch that you're looking for.  Also, the EVO engine is probably the easiest big twin engine to modify, if you need more zip.  All of my Harleys (except for a 1200 Sportster) have been new enough to have the Twin Cam engine.  However, when I got the FXR2 with the EVO engine, it's power and response really surprised me.  I did some minor upgrades (Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 kit, Screamin Eagle pipes, and some minor carbuerator enhancements) and the thing will run with any machine around.  It's ability to chug down a twisty road in high gear at 45 mph and still accelerate without shifting or be driving down the 4-lane at 80 and crack the throttle and it still have serious acceleration available is exciting.

I think you're gonna be impressed!

I noticed that your machine has only 1600 miles on it.  Mine had about 2100 mi when I got it 2 summers ago.  Mine still had the original 1999 tires on it, your's probably will, too.  They will be in danger of dry rot, even if they look good.  Be prepared to slap a couple of new tires on it, have all the fluids changed, and maybe even look at the battery.  As soon as I got home with mine, I dropped it off at my HD mechanic's place and told him to do what it took to get it safe and road-worthy.  You'd be surprised at how many of these rare and special bikes just got bought and were looked at and never ridden.  I bought mine from the family that bought it new and they just never rode it.  AVON Venom X tires are, in my opinion, the way to go.

You're going to love it, but just be aware that it's 11 years old and sometimes having one sit for a long time is worse on tires, batteries, gaskets, belts, etc. that riding it every day.

Ride safe!

Scott
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 07:59:58 PM by scobar44 »
Scott

JamesButler

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2010, 01:52:04 AM »

Thanks Scott-
Sound advice coming from experience.  Definitely going to change tires and I'll go with the Avons. I'll check fluids, battery and belt as well. Will ride for the summer and fall and decide for what mods to have done over winter.

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2010, 10:56:13 AM »

so, Jamesbutler ......... did you get your new (old) bike yet ??

:worthless:
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

JamesButler

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2010, 04:05:31 PM »

Not yet FXR Mikey,
But thanks for asking.  Haulbikes said it is en route and should arrive @ the 26th -give or take. Up until the past few days the weather has been great here.  I'm Jonesin' to ride.  On a side note for anyone interested, I saw a Green listed for sale in the Boston area for $8,500.00.  Not sure about the condition but that's the lowest price I've seen since I started searching in Jan. 
Also there's a Blue in Wisconsin listed for a mere $22K. (PuhLeeeaze!)

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2010, 06:35:32 PM »

What the heck?  They told you on the 3rd it would be there "next week" and now they're saying +/- the 26th?!?

(Mental note: don't use Haulbikes.)

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2010, 12:54:46 AM »

James~

CONGRATULATIONS.....I really enjoyed reading your story......THANKS FOR SHARING IT......you need to post pictures just the way HOWIE DID when he got "joy" <~~~name of his blue fxr.....that was fun for all of us to see.....You found a great bike and a great color!

Hopefully you will hang around here for awhile.....

Regards,

Tim

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2010, 01:04:41 AM »

my Candy Tangerine FXR4  is worth about $50K if someone wants to buy it, otherwise I'm keeping it     :pepper:

WITH CHICKEN ? ? ? ?   :nixweiss:

OK, I"ve lowered my price ..... anyone that wants to buy my FXR4 can get it for $28,900.00  it has about 45K miles on it, and ridden long, far and HARD .... she likes it that way !!!  In order to make her even more valuable I need about another 20K miles on her ... at which time I'll be rising the price, so if you think your interested you best get serious quick cause the price is going back up !!!!!!!!!!

WITHOUT CHICKEN ? ? ? ?   :nixweiss:

:jalapeno: :carrot: :cucumber: :pepper: :bananarock:

Regards,

Tim
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 01:07:41 AM by FXR2evo99 »

JamesButler

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2010, 11:56:45 PM »

FXRMikey-

Well it's the 26th and still no word from Haulbikes.  Just got back from a week long vacation and did not have time to call them today.  When I last spoke with them, apparently a truck was in for repair.  Also, they said their were more pick-ups added to his route.  Will call tomorrow to get the ETA.  In their contract I think they give you a 6-7 week window from their scheduled pick-up date.  I'll have to check for the exact time frame.  Otherwise, they give you a discount. In my case the scheduled pick up date was Mar. 20, so tomorrow will be 38 days.  If the limit is six weeks, then they have less than a week to get it here.  Obviously, 7 weeks is 49 days.  I've heard stories where they have been much faster in their delivery times. will let you know what they say tomorrow.  They are polite and professional on the phone, so I will be too -- Just as long as it gets here unscathed.

JamesButler

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2010, 12:12:37 AM »

Tim,

I'll take the pix and post as soon as it arrives.  Local tag place said I can't register the bike without showing them a pic of the vin #, so I might as well take a few more while I'm at it.  But i can't do that until it arrives. (see prev. post).  Anyway, glad you enjoyed the story.  meanwhile, I've noticed about 10 or so more new for sale listings of FXR3's in the last two weeks.  Three Blues and about 7 or so Greens.  Prices ranging from $22K down to $8.5K.  For some reason I really enjoy tracking these sales, ever since I began my search @ Jan.  Although I'm not buying, I'll send the lister an email and tell them to check out this site.

63SSRagtop

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2010, 05:56:08 AM »

Congrats on the bike!  In addition to tires don't be surprised if your upper gaskets blow, cat i got mine from had only put about 1800 miles on it, within 2 weeks of daily riding it started to get oil on the frame due to the gaskets shrinking and splitting.  Don't be alarmed though, its a fairly easy fix, newer type gaskets are available from HD, tip the engine forward and swap them out.

Hopefully you'll be running down the road soon!

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2010, 10:23:25 AM »

Congrats on the bike!  In addition to tires don't be surprised if your upper gaskets blow, cat i got mine from had only put about 1800 miles on it, within 2 weeks of daily riding it started to get oil on the frame due to the gaskets shrinking and splitting.  Don't be alarmed though, its a fairly easy fix, newer type gaskets are available from HD, tip the engine forward and swap them out.

Hopefully you'll be running down the road soon!

That rocker box cover leak happened to mine as well after putting on about 2000 since I bought it with 5000 miles last winter. The leak appeared and was pretty severe.   Also, I would definitely flush the brake fluid front and rear.  DOT5 in the 2000.  Tires replaced before I rode it all.

JamesButler

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2010, 11:27:44 AM »

Had already planned on replacing the tires and fluids but hadn't thought about the gaskets. Thanks guys.  I'll keep an eye on them.

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2010, 05:36:36 PM »

WITH CHICKEN ? ? ? ?   :nixweiss:

WITHOUT CHICKEN ? ? ? ?   :nixweiss:

:jalapeno: :carrot: :cucumber: :pepper: :bananarock:

Regards,

Tim

50K  without the chicken !!!

62.500 with the chicken, she's been around !!   :D :D
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2010, 05:38:48 PM »

the bike should be there by now   

:P
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2010, 09:07:09 AM »

I had mine shipped by Keyboard and it was very fast and even early.  Less than 2 weeks.

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2010, 08:45:04 PM »

I had mined shipped from Michigan to South Florida in3 days .....by independent shipper

JamesButler

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2010, 05:16:17 PM »

Weeelllll,

Spoke to Haulbikes yesterday.  Nancy the rep.  explained that the driver had been hospitalized, and that a new driver was coming to pick up his load.  She went on to say that the bike should arrive by next Wednesday 5th (Cinquo de Mayo!). She apologized and said that I would receive some sort of discount, but that I would have to receive delivery first.  Then I'd have to call Sharon and work it out.  So, let's figure this out....I bought the bike on March 16 and rode it to the HD dealer in San Antonio that same day.  i was told by HaulBikes they would pick it up on Sat Mar. 20th, but to get the bike there early b/c the drivers are often early.  However, I think they actually picked it up on the 27th. From there they transported it back to their HQ in Milwaukee, WI,  apparently picking up more bikes along the way. From Milwaukee, the bike has to be picked up by another driver who transports it with others in the load back east to me.  However, at the time I was told that driver was delayed in leaving Milwaukee for "whatever reasons".  Based on the fact that he is in the hospital now,  I am assuming the delay was health related. So, if the bike arrives on the 4th of May that would be exactly 7 weeks since I dropped it off at the dealer.  If it comes on May 5th, then that would be a nice round 50 DAYS!  I wonder what the record number of days for delivery is for them?  Maye they're trying to break it. (HA!) According to their policy, they give themselves 28 days from the pick-up date to deliver the bike.  I wonder what kind of discount they'll offer. They charged me $498.00. Oh well, these things happen.  I just hope the bike arrives in the shape I last saw it.  They are courteous though. LOL

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2010, 07:59:27 PM »

Might be in the hospital for taking too long to deliver someone's bike!? :nixweiss:

I start getting worried about the potential for damage the longer the bike's not in my care. All the handling as they transfer it from trailer-to-trailer or warehouse-to-warehouse and 2 months of potentially poor storage conditions would make me nervous as he!!.

Hope it all turns out OK. Thanks for keeping us posted.

td119

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2010, 09:04:42 PM »

I had my FXR3 shipped from Oakland, CA to Northwest NJ by Keyboard in less than 2 weeks, great service they get my vote!!!  :D

JamesButler

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2010, 01:23:30 AM »

td119-

Do you remember what they charged you?  HaulBikes charged me $498.

JamesButler

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2010, 01:26:01 AM »

Bike set to arrive @noon TODAY!  I think I've forgotten how it looks. :orange: :huepfenjump3: :mango: :bananarock: :huepfenlol2: :apple: :jalapeno: :cucumber: :pineapple: :pepper: :2vrolijk_21:

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2010, 12:02:27 PM »

Bike set to arrive @noon TODAY!  I think I've forgotten how it looks. :orange: :huepfenjump3: :mango: :bananarock: :huepfenlol2: :apple: :jalapeno: :cucumber: :pineapple: :pepper: :2vrolijk_21:

Depending on where you live, it might be noon now!  So ...

JamesButler

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2010, 04:17:34 PM »

103-
My buddy called me @ 10;30 this morning to say the bike was being unloaded as we spoke.  Finished what I was doing and walked the few blocks over to his shop, East-11 Motorcylce Exchange.  The driver had a Suzuki Intruder parked directly behind his truck, pointed at it and said, "Here it is" and handed me my paperwork.  He saw the expression on my face and laughed.  "I know you've been waiting awhile for it, but I couldn't resist," he said.  The FXR3 was already inside.  After 50 days of sitting, it had collected a little dust coating of dirt, and the battery was dead, but looked . My buddy had already put it on a charger.  Started up @ 15 mins later, rode it for abut 20 mins in the area, took it home, got my title and headed outside to start her up.  Wasn't sure whether the battery had held the charge but she started immediately. Got her registered and then put about 50+ miles on it. I couldn't resist.  Speedo reads 1,718 miles on it now.  Man, this bike is smooth! Went up and down the gears thru some winding roads in the area and was pleased how easy it goes into turns and how great it handles.  Wanted to ride all day.  Having it detailed at East-11 tomorrow.  Tires show not rot but will go over them, finer.  Will change the fluids tonite. Will take some pix and post soon.  Thanks everybody who contributed to this thread and saw me thru the process of selecting the FXR3.  If I didn't find this website in Jan, I never would have gotten this bike and would've gone in a different direction :2vrolijk_21: Now the real fun begins!  :bananarock:  Was thinking about heading down to the June GTG.  Maybe a Blue flame or a stone cold blue owner will give me a deal, so I can have two. :nixweiss: Why not?

JamesButler

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2010, 07:39:54 PM »

trying to post pix of my "gently used" Green FXR3.

JamesButler

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2010, 07:50:19 PM »

And another

JamesButler

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2010, 07:51:29 PM »

another

JamesButler

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2010, 07:52:19 PM »

And the last one

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #57 on: June 07, 2010, 08:54:26 AM »

Congratulations !!

Nice looking skooter !!!!!!!!!!

Mike and I will be in MV in June.

Mike is coming to my house on Thrusday the 24th, on Friday we are riding from here to MV.

We do not know where we are going to stay, or where we are going to ride, but we'll be there   :-) :orange: :pepper:

pm me is you want my phone number, just in case you decide to go to MV   !!!!
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

JamesButler

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #58 on: June 07, 2010, 10:06:53 AM »

Thanks for the invite. I'll consider heading down and will pm you if I decide to go.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 0.321 seconds with 21 queries.