Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: FXR3 vs. FXDSE2  (Read 15058 times)

Garrys99FXR3

• CVO1: 1999 FXR3 Green
Re: FXR3 vs. FXDSE2
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2010, 08:30:36 PM »

I live in KY and found my 99 fxr3 green in VA. He started out wanting $12.500 on e-bay. I didn't bid on it, call him up and found out he needed the money and got it for $10.000. Best bike i ever ridden, keep looking there out there, keep my out for you.

JamesButler

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2010, 06:16:45 AM »

Garry,
It's good to see you got a deal. Hopefully, one will appear for me soon.  In the meantime, I'm still looking. Thanks for looking, too.

JamesButler

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2010, 12:08:30 PM »

Got a line on an almost stock Green Flame (V&H exhaust) with only 16 HUNDRED mi. (1,630); windshield and original exhaust included) for $9.5K.  Garage kept, no nicks, dings or dents.  Saw pix- great  looking bike. Going to check it out in person this week to see if it is as advertised.  Seems like the best deal out there for this model after searching for about 2+ months. Most Green Flames I've seen for that price have over 15k mi. Also, talked to two owners of bonestock Blue Flames with less than 500 miles on each.  One wants $13,250.00, which IMO is a fair price and was very tempting, but the other wants $19K (too high IMO).  For What It's Worth and FYI - Kelley Blue Book values I saw on a site yesterday for the FXR3 (not specified for Bl. or GR. flames) were $11,625.00 for "Suggested Retail Value" and $8,540.00 for "Suggested Trade-In Value".  NADA prices I saw had only values for FXR2's. "Low Value" was $6,920.00 and "Avg. Value" was $7,658.00  "+/- 10%-30% based on market conditions."  Therefore, it seems unrealistic for anyone to expect to sell an FXR3 for more than $15K, no matter the color or condition of the bike, IMO. I guess though, it's all very subjective. Anyone agree or disagree?

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2010, 02:18:19 PM »

no matter the year, the bike, the color, the milage or the condition ... they are only worth what a BUYER is willing to pay for them ......

to me, my Candy Tangerine FXR4  is worth about $50K if someone wants to buy it, otherwise I'm keeping it     :pepper:

Good luck in your search !!   sounds like your on the right track and will find your bike before long !!
2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
The Build -
•   SE Heads w/Cometic .030 gaskets
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
•   Compu-Fire Single Fire Ignition
•   Rivera taper-lite chromolly adjustable push rods
•   Chrome lifter blocks w/HD B lifters
•   Pro-Force One AC and breather kit
•   Vance and Hines straight shots

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2010, 07:13:46 PM »

Sounds like wherever you're looking, you're turning up some good leads.  I had a he!! of a time finding blue flames in that price range with low miles like that 2 years ago.  And the green one you found sounds like a great deal, too.  Yeah, more than $15,000 and someone has too much sentimental value or perceived collectibility factored into it.  Good luck and hope you close the deal on one soon.

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2010, 10:17:53 PM »

OK, I"ve lowered my price ..... anyone that wants to buy my FXR4 can get it for $28,900.00

it has about 45K miles on it, and ridden long, far and HARD .... she likes it that way !!!

In order to make her even more valuable I need about another 20K miles on her ... at which time I'll be rising the price, so if you think your interested you best get serious quick cause the price is going back up !!!!!!!!!!
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

JamesButler

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2010, 03:03:30 PM »

Well, after an extensive 3-month search, I finally purchased a green flame from a private seller in San Antonio, TX for $9,500.00.  He had it listed on Craigslist for $10,000 OBO about a half day when I saw it and called him.  After he described the bike and sent me some more pics, I offered him 9K.  He responded with $9,500.00, and we had a tentative deal.  It has 1,625 miles on it and is completely stock with  V & H straights, detach windshield and the original exhaust in a box. Told him i would come down from Phila to check it out, and if it was all he described, I would buy it.  He agreed and took down the craigslist ad in good faith. I Arranged for HaulBikes to ship it back to me in the Phila area for $497.00. All told with airfare, hotel, shipping, food, tourism, etc., the extra cost was @ $1,500.00 (not bad for a three day mini vacation).  I got to see the Alamo and experience the San Antonio Riverwalk area for three days. Also checked out the San Antonio Art Museum and met some nice people, including the seller of the bike who lived in Spring Branch, TX - about 35 miles north of San Antonio.  I was all set to take a cab from downtown SA out to his place to see the bike, but he offered on coming to pick me up and drive me - saved me about a $100.00+ cab ride. When we got to his place, the bike was sitting there in the driveway cleaned up and ready to ride. Dude handed me the keys and told me to test ride the bike up and down his access road.  I was a little nervous because it was the going to be the first time I had ridden a bike in close to 15 years, since i last rode my '91 Softail Custom.  Immediately felt  how smooth the ride on this FXR was compared to the memory of my Softail.  A lot less vibration and easier shifting. The mid controls will take a little getting used to, but will keep them.  Anyway, I returned from the 15-minute test ride after going thru the gears several times and was ready to buy. We drew up an agreement of sale, and he handed me the title as I handed him the cash. He told me he would drop off the original exhaust at the Harley dealership where I had arranged to have the bike picked up by the shipping co., which he did the next day. Got  some quick directions from him to the HD dealership, and I was on my way. The only problem I faced now was that I had to ride the bike without a license plate from the seller's house to the HD dealership, which was about 20 miles or so. About 5 miles into the ride, I stopped at a red light on 281, and a police car pulled up behind me.  Thought for sure He was going to pull me over.  The light lasted for what seemed to be five minutes before it turned green. He stayed behind me in traffic, for another few lights, each which seemed to last for eternity. Kept glancing in the rear view, but still no sign that he wanted to stop me. Finally came to my exit, which I was shocked that I remembered. With the excitement of buying the bike, riding for the first time in 15 years, not exactly sure where I was going, without a tag, my mind was racing as was my heart. Signaled, switched lanes and went up the exit ramp to 1604 and was relieved to see him still headed south.  Let out a heavy sigh of relief. Then it started to rain for the next several miles, and just as I was about to pull over and wait it out, I saw the dealership sign looming in the distance about a mile away.  Pulled in safely, a little wet but relieved. Introduced myself to the service manager, whom I had spoken with a few days earlier about holding the bike for me ( free of charge BTW), until the shipping co. arrived. Looked around the dealership a little bit, bought a couple T-shirts as a sign of my appreciation, then called a cab back to my hotel room. Bike should arrive in a week or so. Can't wait to ride it again! 

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2010, 04:00:44 PM »

Well, after an extensive 3-month search, I finally purchased a green flame from a private seller in San Antonio, TX for $9,500.00.  He had it listed on Craigslist for $10,000 OBO about a half day when I saw it and called him.  After he described the bike and sent me some more pics, I offered him 9K.  He responded with $9,500.00, and we had a tentative deal.  It has 1,625 miles on it and is completely stock with  V & H straights, detach windshield and the original exhaust in a box. Told him i would come down from Phila to check it out, and if it was all he described, I would buy it.  He agreed and took down the craigslist ad in good faith. I Arranged for HaulBikes to ship it back to me in the Phila area for $497.00. All told with airfare, hotel, shipping, food, tourism, etc., the extra cost was @ $1,500.00 (not bad for a three day mini vacation).  I got to see the Alamo and experience the San Antonio Riverwalk area for three days. Also checked out the San Antonio Art Museum and met some nice people, including the seller of the bike who lived in Spring Branch, TX - about 35 miles north of San Antonio.  I was all set to take a cab from downtown SA out to his place to see the bike, but he offered on coming to pick me up and drive me - saved me about a $100.00+ cab ride. When we got to his place, the bike was sitting there in the driveway cleaned up and ready to ride. Dude handed me the keys and told me to test ride the bike up and down his access road.  I was a little nervous because it was the going to be the first time I had ridden a bike in close to 15 years, since i last rode my '91 Softail Custom.  Immediately felt  how smooth the ride on this FXR was compared to the memory of my Softail.  A lot less vibration and easier shifting. The mid controls will take a little getting used to, but will keep them.  Anyway, I returned from the 15-minute test ride after going thru the gears several times and was ready to buy. We drew up an agreement of sale, and he handed me the title as I handed him the cash. He told me he would drop off the original exhaust at the Harley dealership where I had arranged to have the bike picked up by the shipping co., which he did the next day. Got  some quick directions from him to the HD dealership, and I was on my way. The only problem I faced now was that I had to ride the bike without a license plate from the seller's house to the HD dealership, which was about 20 miles or so. About 5 miles into the ride, I stopped at a red light on 281, and a police car pulled up behind me.  Thought for sure He was going to pull me over.  The light lasted for what seemed to be five minutes before it turned green. He stayed behind me in traffic, for another few lights, each which seemed to last for eternity. Kept glancing in the rear view, but still no sign that he wanted to stop me. Finally came to my exit, which I was shocked that I remembered. With the excitement of buying the bike, riding for the first time in 15 years, not exactly sure where I was going, without a tag, my mind was racing as was my heart. Signaled, switched lanes and went up the exit ramp to 1604 and was relieved to see him still headed south.  Let out a heavy sigh of relief. Then it started to rain for the next several miles, and just as I was about to pull over and wait it out, I saw the dealership sign looming in the distance about a mile away.  Pulled in safely, a little wet but relieved. Introduced myself to the service manager, whom I had spoken with a few days earlier about holding the bike for me ( free of charge BTW), until the shipping co. arrived. Looked around the dealership a little bit, bought a couple T-shirts as a sign of my appreciation, then called a cab back to my hotel room. Bike should arrive in a week or so. Can't wait to ride it again! 

Congratulations on your new ride and a smooth deal...   :2vrolijk_21:  Your gonna love it!
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2010, 04:03:34 PM »

Congrats. Great scooters! Tons of fun to ride.

JW
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 10:18:32 PM by Black Diamond »

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2010, 05:23:25 PM »

Congrats!  Great story.  You're gonna love the bike!

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2010, 05:56:20 PM »

Congrats on the new ride! Sounds like a solid transaction. Always nice to see those go down. Looking forward to some photos!

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2010, 08:54:35 PM »

KEWL !!!!!!!!!

Great story !

Glad you found one that you like and a price that you were good with

Congratulations to you !!!!!!!!

Enjoy it !!!

Ride Safe  ............

ride it to the GTG in June in Maggie Valley !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

JamesButler

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2010, 05:00:32 PM »

Thanks to all for the support!  Now I want a Blue!  Will post some pics when the bike arrives.  Fxr4Mikey, has the GTG been switched to September, or is it in June?

JamesButler

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2010, 11:27:58 PM »

And Big thanks to Charlie and Reuben in the Service Dept. at Cowboys Alamo City Harley Davidson in San Antonio.  They gave me no hassles about holding the bike until the Hauling co. came to pick it up a week later than forecasted.

JamesButler

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2010, 03:27:38 PM »

Still anxiously awaiting the arrival of my recently purchased FXR3. Called Haul Bikes yesterday and they said it should arrive sometime next week. This weekend would have been a great time for it to come though.  Temps are in the 70's and so too would be the speedo.  Anyway, with all this idle time my mind gets to racing, and at the risk of showing my ignorance and lack of wrench knowledge, here goes, "Would it be to expensive/difficult/impossible for the Moco to assemble or fit a 110" SE twin cam engine onto an FXR frame (given that there were any frames left over)?  Tone down the chrome accessories just a bit, maybe add on some inverted forks, slap on variations of the FXR3 paint schemes (similar to the Black and silver and green found on the FXSTSE3), and to me it would seem to be the best of both worlds (in the MoCo realm, at least); the latest big twin engine HD has on the market paired with the best built frame it has ever made. It would be like having an FXR3 on steroids! Call it the FXR5, throw a $25k price tag on it, and sign me up for one.  Any thoughts, any takers? Somebody reel me in, shoot this down and bring me back to reality.   
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 21 queries.