Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: FXR3 vs. FXDSE2  (Read 15056 times)

scobar44

• CVO1: 1999 FXR2, Arresting Red
Re: FXR3 vs. FXDSE2
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2010, 07:49:46 PM »

Cool off, Hot Rod!

I think your gonna find the EVO engine has got the punch that you're looking for.  Also, the EVO engine is probably the easiest big twin engine to modify, if you need more zip.  All of my Harleys (except for a 1200 Sportster) have been new enough to have the Twin Cam engine.  However, when I got the FXR2 with the EVO engine, it's power and response really surprised me.  I did some minor upgrades (Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 kit, Screamin Eagle pipes, and some minor carbuerator enhancements) and the thing will run with any machine around.  It's ability to chug down a twisty road in high gear at 45 mph and still accelerate without shifting or be driving down the 4-lane at 80 and crack the throttle and it still have serious acceleration available is exciting.

I think you're gonna be impressed!

I noticed that your machine has only 1600 miles on it.  Mine had about 2100 mi when I got it 2 summers ago.  Mine still had the original 1999 tires on it, your's probably will, too.  They will be in danger of dry rot, even if they look good.  Be prepared to slap a couple of new tires on it, have all the fluids changed, and maybe even look at the battery.  As soon as I got home with mine, I dropped it off at my HD mechanic's place and told him to do what it took to get it safe and road-worthy.  You'd be surprised at how many of these rare and special bikes just got bought and were looked at and never ridden.  I bought mine from the family that bought it new and they just never rode it.  AVON Venom X tires are, in my opinion, the way to go.

You're going to love it, but just be aware that it's 11 years old and sometimes having one sit for a long time is worse on tires, batteries, gaskets, belts, etc. that riding it every day.

Ride safe!

Scott
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 07:59:58 PM by scobar44 »
Scott

JamesButler

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2010, 01:52:04 AM »

Thanks Scott-
Sound advice coming from experience.  Definitely going to change tires and I'll go with the Avons. I'll check fluids, battery and belt as well. Will ride for the summer and fall and decide for what mods to have done over winter.

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2010, 10:56:13 AM »

so, Jamesbutler ......... did you get your new (old) bike yet ??

:worthless:
2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
The Build -
•   SE Heads w/Cometic .030 gaskets
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
•   Compu-Fire Single Fire Ignition
•   Rivera taper-lite chromolly adjustable push rods
•   Chrome lifter blocks w/HD B lifters
•   Pro-Force One AC and breather kit
•   Vance and Hines straight shots

JamesButler

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2010, 04:05:31 PM »

Not yet FXR Mikey,
But thanks for asking.  Haulbikes said it is en route and should arrive @ the 26th -give or take. Up until the past few days the weather has been great here.  I'm Jonesin' to ride.  On a side note for anyone interested, I saw a Green listed for sale in the Boston area for $8,500.00.  Not sure about the condition but that's the lowest price I've seen since I started searching in Jan. 
Also there's a Blue in Wisconsin listed for a mere $22K. (PuhLeeeaze!)

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2010, 06:35:32 PM »

What the heck?  They told you on the 3rd it would be there "next week" and now they're saying +/- the 26th?!?

(Mental note: don't use Haulbikes.)

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2010, 12:54:46 AM »

James~

CONGRATULATIONS.....I really enjoyed reading your story......THANKS FOR SHARING IT......you need to post pictures just the way HOWIE DID when he got "joy" <~~~name of his blue fxr.....that was fun for all of us to see.....You found a great bike and a great color!

Hopefully you will hang around here for awhile.....

Regards,

Tim

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2010, 01:04:41 AM »

my Candy Tangerine FXR4  is worth about $50K if someone wants to buy it, otherwise I'm keeping it     :pepper:

WITH CHICKEN ? ? ? ?   :nixweiss:

OK, I"ve lowered my price ..... anyone that wants to buy my FXR4 can get it for $28,900.00  it has about 45K miles on it, and ridden long, far and HARD .... she likes it that way !!!  In order to make her even more valuable I need about another 20K miles on her ... at which time I'll be rising the price, so if you think your interested you best get serious quick cause the price is going back up !!!!!!!!!!

WITHOUT CHICKEN ? ? ? ?   :nixweiss:

:jalapeno: :carrot: :cucumber: :pepper: :bananarock:

Regards,

Tim
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 01:07:41 AM by FXR2evo99 »

JamesButler

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2010, 11:56:45 PM »

FXRMikey-

Well it's the 26th and still no word from Haulbikes.  Just got back from a week long vacation and did not have time to call them today.  When I last spoke with them, apparently a truck was in for repair.  Also, they said their were more pick-ups added to his route.  Will call tomorrow to get the ETA.  In their contract I think they give you a 6-7 week window from their scheduled pick-up date.  I'll have to check for the exact time frame.  Otherwise, they give you a discount. In my case the scheduled pick up date was Mar. 20, so tomorrow will be 38 days.  If the limit is six weeks, then they have less than a week to get it here.  Obviously, 7 weeks is 49 days.  I've heard stories where they have been much faster in their delivery times. will let you know what they say tomorrow.  They are polite and professional on the phone, so I will be too -- Just as long as it gets here unscathed.

JamesButler

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2010, 12:12:37 AM »

Tim,

I'll take the pix and post as soon as it arrives.  Local tag place said I can't register the bike without showing them a pic of the vin #, so I might as well take a few more while I'm at it.  But i can't do that until it arrives. (see prev. post).  Anyway, glad you enjoyed the story.  meanwhile, I've noticed about 10 or so more new for sale listings of FXR3's in the last two weeks.  Three Blues and about 7 or so Greens.  Prices ranging from $22K down to $8.5K.  For some reason I really enjoy tracking these sales, ever since I began my search @ Jan.  Although I'm not buying, I'll send the lister an email and tell them to check out this site.

63SSRagtop

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2010, 05:56:08 AM »

Congrats on the bike!  In addition to tires don't be surprised if your upper gaskets blow, cat i got mine from had only put about 1800 miles on it, within 2 weeks of daily riding it started to get oil on the frame due to the gaskets shrinking and splitting.  Don't be alarmed though, its a fairly easy fix, newer type gaskets are available from HD, tip the engine forward and swap them out.

Hopefully you'll be running down the road soon!

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2010, 10:23:25 AM »

Congrats on the bike!  In addition to tires don't be surprised if your upper gaskets blow, cat i got mine from had only put about 1800 miles on it, within 2 weeks of daily riding it started to get oil on the frame due to the gaskets shrinking and splitting.  Don't be alarmed though, its a fairly easy fix, newer type gaskets are available from HD, tip the engine forward and swap them out.

Hopefully you'll be running down the road soon!

That rocker box cover leak happened to mine as well after putting on about 2000 since I bought it with 5000 miles last winter. The leak appeared and was pretty severe.   Also, I would definitely flush the brake fluid front and rear.  DOT5 in the 2000.  Tires replaced before I rode it all.

Any day on the bike is a good day.

JamesButler

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2010, 11:27:44 AM »

Had already planned on replacing the tires and fluids but hadn't thought about the gaskets. Thanks guys.  I'll keep an eye on them.

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2010, 05:36:36 PM »

WITH CHICKEN ? ? ? ?   :nixweiss:

WITHOUT CHICKEN ? ? ? ?   :nixweiss:

:jalapeno: :carrot: :cucumber: :pepper: :bananarock:

Regards,

Tim

50K  without the chicken !!!

62.500 with the chicken, she's been around !!   :D :D
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2010, 05:38:48 PM »

the bike should be there by now   

:worthless:

:P
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2010, 09:07:09 AM »

I had mine shipped by Keyboard and it was very fast and even early.  Less than 2 weeks.
Any day on the bike is a good day.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 21 queries.