Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Another ConV mod, AIM -VPC  (Read 2692 times)

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 FLSTFSE (Platinum)
    • CVO2: 10 FLHXSE (Teq Sun)
    • CVO3: 10 FLSTSE (Scarlet)
Another ConV mod, AIM -VPC
« on: March 06, 2010, 08:08:53 AM »

Everyone knows the combination of the hydraulic clutch and SE spring makes for a sore left hand in traffic. Since this is her bike we wanted to reduce the lever pull effort for her. I've used the VPC before with good results.

Installation is a breeze and with the hydraulic clutch, no adjustment is needed like on a cable clutch. Derby removal, six bolts off, six new bolts back on, replace the derby and ride.

Now, the SE clutch spring is stiff, we all know that. So I took it a step further. I had a stock spring in the shop. If you don't have one you can get one easy enough. Pulled the SE spring out and used a stock spring. The end result was more than the advertised 40% lever pull decrease, it was more like 50 or greater. I can fully pull the lever with one finger and knowing the VPC design basics there will be no issue with clutch slippage.

Now, if you do change your spring you MUST remove the outer primary cover. A spring will not fit through the derby cover hole. NOTE: I did find one issue when doing this, the bottom front primary bolt will not slide out due to the restriction of the floorboard frame. One would need to remove the kickstand to fully remove the primary cover. So, I simply used the space provided to slip the old spring out and the new one in then bolt the primary cover back on. Easy as pie.  :2vrolijk_21:

Blueyz0416

Re: Another ConV mod, AIM -VPC
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 07:36:27 PM »

Finally have the sound perfect and now the VPC...that about does it for mods as far as I'm concerned. The VPC was great in traffic today. Definitely worth it for me, but then I'm a girl  :P   I'm still not used to not having the heel/toe shifter that I had on my previous softail, but am trying to get by without it.  If I can't get by, that'll be the last and final mod.  Well...
Carol

2010 CVO Softail Convertible, "Scarlett"

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 10:16:11 PM »

Well, if you decide to go with the heel toe shifter, let me know and I will steer you to the correct part numbers.  Porky

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 10:23:20 PM »

Thanks Porky...  I don't use one so she can have mine. Anything for love right?   :angel:

Gamma742

• Senior CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE Red
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 12:30:48 AM »

So my question is which VPC did you go with 70T, 84T or the 92T ??
2017 Road King
2010 Convertible

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 08:11:28 AM »

We went with the 70T Gamma. You can get it on the AIM-VPC site or they are sold on ebay for just over 200.00. There is no need to purchase a stage kit, just the VPC.

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 21 queries.