Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Watch your passenger pegs  (Read 4984 times)

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 FLSTFSE (Platinum)
    • CVO2: 10 FLHXSE (Teq Sun)
    • CVO3: 10 FLSTSE (Scarlet)
Watch your passenger pegs
« on: March 09, 2010, 07:22:41 PM »

FYI

The passenger foot pegs on the ConV are fastened at the hinge using a push pin and a C clip. Although there is a tension washer in the hinge it doesn't have enough strength to hold the pegs in the up position and they will come down when hitting a bump or simply with road vibrations. When you come to a stop it may/will catch your heal and leave a good bruise. If you crab walk you may loose your balance.

Due to the limited space on the right side peg hinge there would be no way to install a bolt and chrome nut even if you turned them upside down. The distance to the heat shield is near non-existent.

Not sure how MoCo will fix this one.  :nixweiss:

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
Re: Watch your passenger pegs
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 08:12:49 AM »

I'm not sure they will fix it, Wiz.  We have yet to see if they make this bike 2 years in a row.  What would your opinion be of that?  Seems like they make this same footboard/peg "Rumble" collection for the SE Street Glide and maybe even the SE Fat Bob.  However, when we were waiting for this bike, I inquired several places as to the "rumble" collection and everybody looked at me like I had horns growing out of the top of my head.  All it would probably take is bending that spring washer a bit more to put a bit more tension on the peg end.  I ended up removing the pegs from that location and to the front of the bike.  Then I insesrted them into 'mounts' that already had new spring/washers in them.  They seem to be fine and stay where put.  The mounts I put in their place, however, use a couple different types of ball/springs that don't work so well.  Just a design flaw I believe.  When down, they look the part, and work the way they were designed, but when put in the up position, they don't seem to lock in place as the ball bearing/detent doesn't play well with the rubber footboard insert.  I guess sometimes the moco depends on us to solve our own problems as they expose themselves.  Sure know what you mean as far as backing up and keeping ankles out of the way.  Ouch!!  Could conceivably break your leg, if the stars lined up.!   Pork.

goldfar

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 07:29:29 AM »

You know, my passenger pegs were just fine until Wiz mentioned this problem - then I came back from a nice long day trip the other day and noticed that they both were down! :)  Darn that Wiz, he can read into the future!  Wonder if he's got any stock recomendations??!

Seriously, looks like a warrentee job for the dealer.  I'm not going to try and add some bend to a piece of spring steel.  Last time I tried that, it slipped and bonged all the way into my neighbor's back yard - still looking for it.
2010 Screaming Eagle Softail Convertible
Crimson Red/Autum Haze

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 07:48:44 AM »

You know, my passenger pegs were just fine until Wiz mentioned this problem - then I came back from a nice long day trip the other day and noticed that they both were down! :)  Darn that Wiz, he can read into the future!  Wonder if he's got any stock recomendations??!

Seriously, looks like a warrentee job for the dealer.  I'm not going to try and add some bend to a piece of spring steel.  Last time I tried that, it slipped and bonged all the way into my neighbor's back yard - still looking for it.

At least you didn't cut your camera button finger to the bone!

I know how to fix it but it will take surgical like skills and dental floss.

Porky, you can't rely on anything can ya?

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 08:09:40 AM »

Well, I'll tell you what.  At my ripe age, if I was to sit and wait for anybody to come to my aid to fix anything for me, I'd have cobwebs all over me.  I'd say fix it however you know to be the best, and if it breaks in the process, buy a new piece and start over again.  They're busy building the 2011 model now.  That comes out in about 3 months.  They still got time to incorporate the fix into that model.  Then you could buy the part for that model and fit it into your '10.  Yep, that's probably how that'll work.  Geeeeesh,,,,,,,Pork.   :huepfenlol2:

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 08:21:41 AM »

Well, I'll tell you what.  At my ripe age, if I was to sit and wait for anybody to come to my aid to fix anything for me, I'd have cobwebs all over me.  I'd say fix it however you know to be the best, and if it breaks in the process, buy a new piece and start over again.  They're busy building the 2011 model now.  That comes out in about 3 months.  They still got time to incorporate the fix into that model.  Then you could buy the part for that model and fit it into your '10.  Yep, that's probably how that'll work.  Geeeeesh,,,,,,,Pork.   :huepfenlol2:

I think we just did...  don't think for one minute they aren't reading this Porky.   :oops:  :idea3:

BusyHunter

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 01:53:37 PM »

Ah ha!  I'm NOT losing my mind.

Twice now, I have come out from a brief stop and noticed the passenger pegs down and I distinctly remembered putting them up after my wife got off the bike. 
Thought I was going crazy and developing memories of non-existent events.

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 02:10:08 PM »

We haven't, as of yet, taken ours back but they are still coming down. The left peg more so than the right. Goldfar has taken his back and their solution was also to change the hinge angle. They pointed them straight up. Yes, you guessed it... his are still coming down even though they are tighter than stock.

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE CVO Softail Convertible
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 05:36:20 PM »

So far mine say up and are nice and stiff. Don't go down until I put 'em down.  :carrot:

MikeV
Fullsac 1.75" Baffles / TTS / Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads / H-D LED Headlight / CeeBailey Windshield

Dood2

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 03:08:36 PM »

My left side passenger peg drooped after about a 30 minute ride. I had it to the dealer for the 1000 mile service and asked about it. Now it sags after a 15 minute ride..... I tried to bend the steel washer but it didn't help.

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 11:43:43 AM »

My left side passenger peg drooped after about a 30 minute ride. I had it to the dealer for the 1000 mile service and asked about it. Now it sags after a 15 minute ride..... I tried to bend the steel washer but it didn't help.

dood..  we must get an answer for this. The dealer has already tried to fix Goldfar's pegs but to no avail. Ours dropped on me yesterday with about every bump in the road. Could the answer be two spring washers? I've used.. now don't laugh... waxed dental floss to wrap around hinged bolts before with good results but the hinges on the pegs are just too tight to thread floss in there.

:nixweiss: :nixweiss:

-wiz

Dood2

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 01:15:43 PM »

I just doubled  the spring washer, it was a tight fit but I got it in there. Feels pretty good, a little lube and its smooth. Its raining here so I can't test it but I think its the fix .

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 01:21:59 PM »

Very good...  keep us informed when the sun comes out. Need to do a 1k check this week and I'll have the squids to this.  :apple:

Dood2

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 04:17:26 PM »

The double spring washers fixed the problem. I had it out for about 1 1/2 hours and it held up just fine.

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2010, 01:22:57 PM »

Thanks Dood... :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:  will mention this to the dealer during the 1K next week.

Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 22 queries.