Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Deuce comparison needed  (Read 4083 times)

Tom of VA

Deuce comparison needed
« on: January 02, 2011, 04:36:03 PM »

I'm looking at buying an 06 Deuce 88 or a 03 CVO Deuce 95. They are close in price and both injected. Can anyone tell me about the 88 vs 95 motor or anything else which I should be concerned about when looking at the older 03?
Thanks!

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Deuce comparison needed
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 08:05:08 PM »

I recently traded my 2003 Deuce (88) for a 2011 CVO Street Glide (Wife fell in love and made me buy a new Harley). My brother has a '05 Deuce and my neighbor has a '06 Deuce. However, we truly loved our Deuce. In my humble opinion it is The Best all around scooter Harely has made. We've taken 2000 mile trips without complaint and your typical weekend runs were a blast. LOVED THE DEUCE!!

Both the '03 and '06 bikes have the older style cam chain tensioners. >:( The problems with this system have been mixed. Some riders have never had any problems while others had horrible failures. My brother changed to S & S 510 G gear driven cams at about 35,000 miles with no visible where. I changed mine to the S & S 510 G's at 32,000 with visible wear (scalloped pitting) to the cam shoes and one of the cam bearings was failing and starting to burn the shaft. My guess is that it would have failed at any moment.

I'm pretty sure that Harley corrected this issue in '07.

If I were making the choice I would consider the mileage and overall finish on each as well as the price difference. If both were good then I'd probably go with the '03 CVO Deuce because it is a 100th Anniv CVO bike.

With either choice I would highly recommend a cam change right away just to keep a little piece of mind. I had mine installed by a local builder for right a $1000, tuned, Etc.. Harely dealers here in St. Louis wanted something like $2,300!!!!

Cam choice is a widely debated topic but I can only say good things for the S & S 510 G's. They are a mild cam and the all around ridability was great. It made a big difference in performance. Note! It was not a wild power house but I used the Strong to describe how it ran with these cams.

510 refers to the lift (.510). These cams are a bolt in style and are very easy to install. Mine was an 88 so I'm sure the S & S 510 G's would really wake up the 95" motor, not to mention completely eliminate the older style cam shoe issue. Then again you cam install some high compression pistons, port & polish the heads, and stick in some crazy lift cams for fun.

Good Luck with your choice. Keep us posted.

GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 08:13:22 PM »

Sorry for the double response but my wife just walked in and told me that our neighbor is selling his '06 Deuce for $9,000 (Non-CVO with about 30,000 miles, Glacier White)

Nice bike and well cared for.
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

Tom of VA

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 08:58:58 PM »

If I were making the choice I would consider the mileage and overall finish on each as well as the price difference. If both were good then I'd probably go with the '03 CVO Deuce because it is a 100th Anniv CVO bike.

Thanks very much for you comments! Anybody else?   03 CVO with 4k miles vs 06 w/ 11K miles, both look nice priced the same

SandS RESTOS

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSTDSE2 Cobalt Blue/Starlight Black
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 07:28:23 PM »

It's a no brainer for me, the '03 CVO Deuce is alot more bang for your buck without a doubt. Love my '04 CVO Deuce and could have bought a new '09 softail custom for $14,500.00 but bought my '04 SEDeuce instead for a grand more with 10,000 miles on it. Good luck with your that ever you decide to buy, it's really a WIN, WIN.  :2vrolijk_21:
Live to Ride, Ride to Live!!

sklmn1

• CVO1: 2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: 2001 FLHTCI
    • CVO3: 1987 XLH
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 08:35:40 PM »

I agree. I have the 2003 CVO Deuce. They originally sold for around $26,000. Definately a better investment and more complete bike both being stock. Also the SE Deuce is one of only 3,000 made.

kiwihog

• KIWIHOG
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE Rio Red & Black
    • CVO2: 2007 FXSTDi NON CVO
    • CVO3: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 12:15:09 AM »

I just purchased my first CVO a 2011 roadglide for the long rides so my lady is comfortable my other bike a 2007 deuce was impossible to part with I have done Fresno CA to Sturgis in a day an a half by myself been numerous 400 and 500 mile trips two up without any problem throw a tent on and just ride It has the 96 inch and 6 speed now its my bar hopper so nice to have a choice .. good luck on the purchase i know u will love the bike.
Things I have had to buy because of this site 2.0 fullsac baffles, PV tuner, glare polish, floorboard extn, clearview w/shield, locking lower doors, motorcycle armour, bass ports in tourpac, Iron aces mount for Power Vision Tuner V&H Power duals
and not close to finished!!!

HHCrosby

• CVO1: 2004 FXSTDSE2
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 09:58:59 AM »

I had a Heritage Softail till my wife wanted me to buy a 'younger' bike.  My Father in Law and Brother in Law both have Deuces.  I've rode their's and loved it!  This made me decide to get a Deuce.  I found a great deal on an 04 CVO, and now when my father in law rides mine, he's in love!  To me, the CVO is far better than the regular deuce.  Just the amount of chrome alone, and the chrome rims... (I hate shining spokes, such a pain in the butt).
So my advice, depending on the condition of the bike, is go with the CVO!   :)

harleycharlie1992

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 09:49:37 PM »

you can make your cvo deuce to look similar to this:

Genesis1

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 09:55:54 PM »

Dont know which way you have gone, but I have the 03 SE Duece and as far as Im concerned, its the best choice, limited edition, best paint scheme of any harley Ive ever seen and just a cool kick ass bike.
Money cant buy happyness, but it sure can rent some Grade "A" affection.

petewerner

• I live to ride, I love to ride, everyday I ride :)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Ride it like U stole it, live life the same way.

• CVO1: 2003 FXSTDSE Sold
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 09:43:50 AM »

I have the same 2003 FXSTDSE, it runs great! I have the V&H Short shots on both scooters I own. I am looking to get more power and and the next step will be a 2-1
exhaust. I just finished putting a Kerker setup on my FatBoy and I CANNOT believe how much difference it made in real world power! I have just ordered a Bub7 2-1 Exhaust system for the 95" and am hoping that it does half as much improvment as it did on the FB!!!! I would choose this bike (2003 SEDeuce) over the newer bike cause it already has a bunch of SE stuff on it. My neighbor has an 2008 FXWG and it has a fuel injection controller and a dyno tune. My 95" has more power and is noticebly faster than his 96" and I have yet to get a dyno tune......
Pick the 95", you will love it!!!!
1998 FLSTF with Kerker 2/1, Dyna 2000i single
       Fire Ignition, Chrome swing arm, Garrett Billet Wheels, Too much chrome
       2 list....
2011 FLTRx 103, Stage IV, SE Heavy Breather, SE Race Tuner, SE 58mm TB, V&H Power Duals, V&H H.O. Slipons=, Dyno tuned 117HP-111TQ :D Tank lift, drop seat, turning DARK

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 22 queries.