Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: 3 Dead in Phoenix Motorcycle Crash :-(  (Read 12659 times)

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
3 Dead in Phoenix Motorcycle Crash :-(
« on: March 25, 2010, 07:31:11 PM »

AP - Phoenix Fire Department Deputy Chief Frank Salomon says six patients are in critical condition and two were airlifted to a hospital.

PHOENIX -- Three people were killed Thursday afternoon and six others critically injured when several motorcycles collided with a truck hauling garbage on the Carefree Highway in north Phoenix. There were a total of nine patients. Six were listed in critical condition and two were flown to a Phoenix hospital, said Phoenix Fire Department Deputy Chief Frank Salomon. Salomon told The Associated Press the accident happened when the riders got too close to the big rig.

"It appears the garbage truck collided with the group of motorcyclists. There was fire involved. It's a horrific scene," Salomon said.

The crash occurred in the area of 27th Avenue and the Carefree Highway around noon. Jarrod Cook, a worker at the nearby Ketzal Mexican Grill, said he saw several motorcycles wedged underneath the garbage truck, which caught fire. "The first thing we saw was a big puff of smoke when the truck lit on fire," he said.

Cook said he walked over and witnessed a chaotic scene with some of the injured lying on the ground. Dozens of police and rescue personnel responded to the crash off Interstate 17. Phoenix Fire Department spokesman Jonathan Jacobs told KNXV-TV in Phoenix that witnesses reported that several motorcycle riders were stopped at a light when they were struck from behind by a sanitation truck and dragged 50 to 75 yards.

The three riders killed were trapped under the truck and the injured included four males and two females, Jacobs said.The 50-year-old driver of the truck was not injured and is being questioned by police. The Carefree Highway was expected to be closed for several hours as police investigate the crash and determine exactly what happened.

Click here to read more on this story from MyFoxPhoenix.com.
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

BADBAGG

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 O/B D& D Fat Cat , SE 259E Cams , High Compression Pistons , TTS Mastertune, Yaffe Monkeys bars , Yaffe Monkey engine guard , Kenwood DVD/CD radio 650 watts 7 speakers. C & C solo seat , Motorcycle Armor, Klock Werks 8" windsheild,30 tooth pulley
Re: 3 Dead in Phoenix Motorcycle Crash :-(
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 07:44:25 PM »

WTF  Thats is just horrible.

Ultra2010

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 08:15:43 PM »

Damn.  That just sickens me.  So Sorry for all concerned. All they did was stop for a light...................

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 08:31:03 PM »

How in hell can someone not see a group of motorcycles stopped at a light.  What a tragedy
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

DDavidson

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 10:25:43 PM »

PHOENIX — A group of eight motorcycles stopped at a red light in north Phoenix were mowed down from behind by a dump truck early Thursday afternoon, killing three riders and injuring six others, at least one critically, authorities said.

The most seriously injured was an off-duty Phoenix Fire Department captain who was in very critical condition Thursday evening, said Phoenix police spokesman Detective James Holmes.

The motorcyclists were stopped behind a pickup and a small SUV at the red light when the truck driver rammed them from behind, he said. The truck ran over the motorcyclists and continued into the small SUV in front of them, Holmes said.

The top article states they were driving too close to the truck. This version from Comcast news 2 hrs ago is stated differently.

Terrible!
Semper Fi
Get your "Motor Running Head", out on the highway!

What we've got here is... failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it... well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 11:02:30 PM »

DDavidson

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 01:32:25 AM »

http://www.azcentral.com/community/northvalley/articles/2010/03/25/20100325phoenix-motorcycle-crash-abrk.html

by Allison Hurtado, Beth Duckett, Jake Harris and Kevin Kennedy - Mar. 25, 2010 10:00 PM
The Arizona Republic and 12 News

Tania Krukoff, an employee at a nearby Walgreen's, said she was returning from a nearby gas station when she came upon the accident and talked to the driver of the truck.

"He was in shock," Krukoff said. "He (said) he wasn't paying attention, just shuffling with his paperwork."
Semper Fi
Get your "Motor Running Head", out on the highway!

What we've got here is... failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it... well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men

AZ SESG

• '17 SESG Sunburst Orange/Starfire Black -- '02 SERK Candy/Brandywine *Gone but not forgotten*
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Formerly AZ SERK

• CVO1: '02 FLHRSEI / Sold
    • CVO2: '17 FLHXSE
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 02:50:45 AM »

Yes, they were stopped at a red light.  All were members of MC Cruisers. 

It was a sanitation dump truck and the driver was distracted with paperwork.  He literally ran over several of the bikes and riders.  Those killed were trapped under the truck, where a fire erupted.  At least two riders are in critical condition.  Absolutely tragic!

My thoughts and prayers go out to the families of those who parished and, to those injured.
Life is: Choices. Choose wisely.
"Ability + Commitment - Doubt = Reality"
IBA #42159

Occam

• Full CVO Member
  • Power On The Cheap

• CVO1: 2009 FXDFSE in black & fire quartz
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 03:20:41 AM »

Wife just saw this on the news, called me in to the room to watch.
Un.
Fricken.
Believable.

Like some of you, I live out here in the desert, near the location of the tragedy.
It's alarming, because a person operating a vehicle of that size and weight was more concerned about shyte in his cab than the cruise missile he pilots.
Looks like he hurt one of the cagers too; this guy may as well have been napping.

My prayers also for the families of the departed, and the wounded and their families as well.

JeffsHogPen

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE
    • CVO2: 2001 FLHR
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 03:39:12 AM »

I am so sorry to hear this. I read it on MSNBC. May God be with their Family's. What to do with the Driver?????? Take him out back and run over him.......
Hookem¨Horns!!!!!

StrokedRider

• If i had to do it all over again i would Ride a little harder, Love a little better and Stay a little longer.
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Ride Hard, Live Free!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Candy Red / Black Ice (SOLD to Mjcw01)
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 10:16:11 AM »

I am sickened by this. This is a streach of road i drive everyday and watch as motorists drive with little regard through there as if they are the only ones on the road. I have seen either this truck or another one like it with the same company logo come through there and is always driving like there is no tommorow. No matter what the "reason" for this is, this poor idiot truck driver will be haunted with the memory of murdering and maiming. May he be miserable for the rest of his life. (Sorry!)
"Harley Davidson - The Perfect Machine to Turn Gasoline into Noise Without the Pesky Bi-Product of Horsepower!"

Wrongway

• Stop Following Me!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • What A Beautiful Mess I'm In......
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE Burgundy Blaze/Typhoon Maroon aka Mongo
    • CVO2: Gone:2005 FLHTCSE2 Cherry, Teal, 2006 FLHTCUSE Crimson
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2010, 11:27:16 AM »

Feels like I was kicked in the stomach. Wow, this hurts. Tears for all involved, even the driver of the truck, a moment of inattention and his life is too changed. This hurts.

YesItsLoaded

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2010, 12:29:32 PM »

It is so sad - and happens to be my biggest fear (getting hit from behind while stopped at a light).

Not that this would or could have helped the riders in this accident, but after 30 years of sitting at red lights in neutral with my arms crossed looking cool, I have started to angle my bike for escape between cars; bike is in gear and I watch my mirrors like a hawk. Only after a few cars have stopped behind me do I shift into neutral (if at all).

Thoughts and prayers for all involved.

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2010, 03:09:56 PM »

It's a tragedy.  But it's also a lesson.  As stated above, never sit and BS with your fellow riders at a light.  Malinda and I angle left and right and leave 'em in gear, ready to zip out if the vehicle behind is not paying attention.   Of course with a group of 8 bikes the escape room would've run out real quick.  Another reason we almost never do large group riding anymore.

Hope all who were hurt heal fast.

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
Motorcycle Crash in Phoenix Area Leaves three dead
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2010, 07:16:34 PM »

One of my riding buddies called me to tell me about this crash, really sad and so avoidable. I hope the guy that did this goes to prison.
Scott

http://www.zimbio.com/Phoenix+Motorcycle+Crash/articles/nkNzlI6_nIW/Phoenix+Motorcycle+Crash+Kills+3
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 21 queries.