Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: stock look pipes BUT quiet?!  (Read 12974 times)

rcodea

stock look pipes BUT quiet?!
« on: March 25, 2010, 10:59:35 PM »

All,

I am a new owner of a orange FXDFSE(actually havnt even pucked it up yet) and have been reading some concerns with the pipe heat. Now, i dont know what the stock pipes sound like yet, but am confident that i will be in the market shortly for a set that are going to look stock, but offer a DEEPER tone while flowing more air AND staying as quiet as i can keep it. I am just not a fan of the loud pipes

what are your sugestions? are there replacment baffles for the stock exhaust that will meet my goals? what else is out there?

~Ryan

Gutter Man

Re: stock look pipes BUT quiet?!
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 01:29:24 PM »

If you want to keep it stock and quiet do a search for cutting out the catatytic converter. This will cool it down some and still be quiet and is a freebee if you can do it yourself.
Man who drive like hell bound to get there

philke1

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 01:27:26 PM »

Rush offers an FXDFSE slip-on with interchangeable baffles from stock up through 2.25". The brochures indicate a look equal to the stock pipes.

rcodea

R
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 08:08:42 PM »

local dealer sugested the Rush w/ 1.75" baffles....thats the stock size, right?

like i said, i havnt taken delivery yet so i havnt had a chance to measure them.

has anyone gotten this size baffles? i have only seen people with the 2.25" or 2"

~Ryan

philke1

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 11:27:20 PM »

Rush w/ 1.75

Several videos w/ sound clips on youtube.com   

Do a search

rcodea

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 07:53:22 PM »

yes, but that is not a CVO...if i am not mistaken, the 110 is very different than the 96 in accoustics and volume.

i have tracked down one owner on here with the 1.75 Rush setup on his CVO, but have not yet recieved a responce from him.

~Ryan

razar54

• CVO1: 09 fxdfse
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 11:34:53 PM »

Hi! I just put a set of rush 1.75 on mine. As far as I'm concerned they are more than loud enough.  Nice deep tone.

Occam

• Full CVO Member
  • Power On The Cheap

• CVO1: 2009 FXDFSE in black & fire quartz
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 02:41:03 AM »

I've picked up a full set of exhaust pulled from a standard FXDF, and will be removing the stock cores from those mufflers and changing to those (non-cat) head pipes. With the stock cores out, I'm putting Thunder Monster baffles in the head pipe ends; this whole arrangement allows me to be as loud as I want, or to tone it down by modifying the stock muffler cores which will fit right back in behind the new baffles. Nice aspect of this is the pulls from the FXDF cost $125 with 4k miles and no blemishes, the BCT head pipe baffles are $79 new, and I get to keep my stock exhaust for the emissions rats or when it's time to trade. These baffles are up on the 'Tube if you want to hear them (serious bass) - they sound best in a larger diameter pipe or gutted stock muffler can IMHO.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 02:55:33 AM by Occam »

rcodea

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 06:15:18 PM »

I've picked up a full set of exhaust pulled from a standard FXDF, and will be removing the stock cores from those mufflers and changing to those (non-cat) head pipes. With the stock cores out, I'm putting Thunder Monster baffles in the head pipe ends; this whole arrangement allows me to be as loud as I want, or to tone it down by modifying the stock muffler cores which will fit right back in behind the new baffles. Nice aspect of this is the pulls from the FXDF cost $125 with 4k miles and no blemishes, the BCT head pipe baffles are $79 new, and I get to keep my stock exhaust for the emissions rats or when it's time to trade. These baffles are up on the 'Tube if you want to hear them (serious bass) - they sound best in a larger diameter pipe or gutted stock muffler can IMHO.

this is similar to what i want to do as well. i am planning to get a set of FXDF takeoffs, ceramic black coating them, eliminate any possible cat/restriction, and go from there. it is the mufflers, be it cans or in-head-pipe, that i am trying to decide on.

~Ryan

Occam

• Full CVO Member
  • Power On The Cheap

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 07:02:25 PM »

this is similar to what i want to do as well. i am planning to get a set of FXDF takeoffs, ceramic black coating them, eliminate any possible cat/restriction, and go from there. it is the mufflers, be it cans or in-head-pipe, that i am trying to decide on.

~Ryan

I bought a can of Hi-Temp black paint for the area visible through the Tommy Gun slots.
Another ~$3.00
I'll let you know if that works out, unless you're doing ceramic for heat purposes.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 07:04:14 PM by Occam »

rcodea

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 07:36:40 PM »

I bought a can of Hi-Temp black paint for the area visible through the Tommy Gun slots.
Another ~$3.00
I'll let you know if that works out, unless you're doing ceramic for heat purposes.

both really, the heat and to preserve the black look. I have not seen the high temp paint hold up well after extended periods of time. course, i may not have applied and prepped it properly.

please let me know how it turns out.

~Ryan

Gutter Man

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 12:23:46 PM »

Guys I have a header pipe with no cat for a fat bob. I have taken the cats out of a couple and weld them back up so it looks stock again. If you send me your core I will send you a pipe back with out a cat. $60 for the pipe plus shipping. I ship Fed Ex daily so a fast turnaround is not a problem.

Gutter man
Man who drive like hell bound to get there

Occam

• Full CVO Member
  • Power On The Cheap

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2010, 01:08:50 AM »

Guys I have a header pipe with no cat for a fat bob. I have taken the cats out of a couple and weld them back up so it looks stock again. If you send me your core I will send you a pipe back with out a cat. $60 for the pipe plus shipping. I ship Fed Ex daily so a fast turnaround is not a problem.

Gutter man

Aargh.
Wish I'd known that a month ago.
C'est la vie...
If I ahve any trouble with the pipe flanges off the 96"er mating up, I might contact you yet.

rcodea

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010, 09:47:15 PM »

any other ideas out there?

~Ryan

Occam

• Full CVO Member
  • Power On The Cheap

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2010, 05:38:09 AM »

It is done.
I wound up skipping the paint on the headpipe; I figured it would not draw the typical person's eye so much.
It is a straight bolt in with no fitment issues at all.
You'll need smaller fingers (flange bolts at heads) and an assortment of socket entension lengths, but it's a quick job.

I installed Big City Thunder headpipe mount baffles, which are actually a pair of ID sized pieces of pipe with a fender washer blocking part of the baffle at one end and a securement screw at the other. You'll need to drill a 1/4" hole where you want that baffle holding screw to go through; I'd suggest on the side facing the bike since A) the pipe's off the bike anyway and B) it won't interfere with the heat shields.

I gutted the stocker 96" slash cut muffler cans. They're completely empty.

Everything bolted back just the way your stock stuff will come off.
The sound is deep and burbling, and loudish even at idle. When the throttle is whacked, everyone in your ZIP code knows where you are, and it does NOT suffer from some of the unpleasant sounds associated with open drag pipes. Highly relative, but to me drag pipes sound "unfinished" i.e. instead of defined power pulses, you hear BLAAAAAH and they are prone to decel popping. Big losses in low RPM TQ. So far, running TTS Mastertune canned map (I'm gonna V-Tune later today) I have none of the above. I suppose the TQ retention is the 2-1-2 headpipe and TTS tune with anti-reversion BCT baffles.

I mentioned loud. Be prepared, because it is far louder than my 110 into Rinehart Tru Duals with the loud baffles, and that motor was built to the hilt. At idle, you can feel it in the concrete garage floor.
So far, so good.

AussieEagle

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2010, 02:23:11 AM »

Mate I've used a few different slipons previously, for the new FatBob I installed yesterday the Cycle Shack 4" Oval slip on.
It MIGHT be a touch loud for you don't know, but no louder than S&S and so on.

I will say this, suits the bike really well, has a deeper note than I was expecting, sounds pretty damn good at idle too.
Other plus is, being slip on you keep you Tommy Gun style original pipes and the whole thing looks OEM, but sounds like a Harley!!

Find/read my post on this pipe.

dolaman

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2010, 02:13:38 PM »

I'm using blunt revolvers which are strictly middle of the road. Did notice less heat after i installed a thundermax ecm. Big difference overall.

apartaapee

• CVO Fat Bob 2009
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2010, 02:18:22 AM »

AussieEagle,

Like allways,

:worthless:

Post a pic. Wanna see them.

-aapee-

Mate I've used a few different slipons previously, for the new FatBob I installed yesterday the Cycle Shack 4" Oval slip on.
It MIGHT be a touch loud for you don't know, but no louder than S&S and so on.

I will say this, suits the bike really well, has a deeper note than I was expecting, sounds pretty damn good at idle too.
Other plus is, being slip on you keep you Tommy Gun style original pipes and the whole thing looks OEM, but sounds like a Harley!!

Find/read my post on this pipe.
-aapee-

Screamin' Eagle Mufflers
Screamin' Eagle Heavy Breather
Screamin' Eagle Pro Super Tuner (Smart Tune)

rcodea

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2010, 07:49:21 PM »

this is what i will be going with for my fat bob. i have ordered both the 15" and 17" baffles so we will see which ones work out.

more to come this week

http://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/315001-ultimate-street-bob-muffler-mod.html

i picked up a stock fxdf exhaust, cut out the cat, coated with ceramic and am just waiting on the baffles to arrive this week. more to come.

~Ryan

Taz01

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2010, 11:14:08 AM »

Still is going to be hot due to the cat in the stock pipes.

rcodea

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2010, 01:14:10 PM »

The only cat is in the head pipe, which I removed, and covered the whole head pipe with ceramic

Taz01

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2010, 06:21:59 PM »

Where did you get the ceramic coating put on at?

Tabatha

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2010, 04:09:50 AM »

Why not just use the 1 1/2 inch Rush baffles ? They work well and are very quiet !
They merely bolt in !

rcodea

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2010, 01:01:29 PM »

I got the coating at a local powder coating business.

in my research for the right baffle that would fit, I was told by rush that their baffles are made specifically for their slip-ons and will not work in the stock cans...I would have gone with the 1.75 baffle though. Have you used the rush baffles in the stock cans?

~Ryan

rcodea

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2010, 07:47:31 AM »

http://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/315001-ultimate-street-bob-muffler-mod.html

i used the thread identified above to modify a set of stock fxdf (fat bob) mufflers. the baffle i used was a longer version of the same baffle as discribed earlier in that threat, and used the 1 7/8ID to 1 7/8OD transitions from a local auto parts store.

I ordered my baffles from Dennis Dirk.com, part number 4403295; "Baffles for H-D Screaming Eagle - 1 7/8 in. x 17 5/8 in."

i took this a step further and removed the cat from the headpipe, and coated the headpipe with flat black ceramic at my local powder coater.

sounds great! very deep idle sound, and cruising volume is very reasonable. i am extremely pleased!

Dyno numbers show 112ft-lbs and 90hp...with 100ft-lbs from 2800-4700rpm with peak at 3700rpm. will upload dyno graph when i get the opertunity.

~Ryan
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.573 seconds with 21 queries.