Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Correct Oil Filter FXR4  (Read 1608 times)

SEFXR4

• Junior CVO Member
Correct Oil Filter FXR4
« on: March 26, 2010, 10:24:46 PM »

I went to the dealer today had to get a voltage regulator and decided to get oil filters.He tried to sell me TC oil filters instead of EVO.IDid I miss something ??? Was there a filter update for the FXR4 from HD ?? Can some body provide me with the correct HD part # and what the difference is in the filters.
Thanks
2000 FXR
1340 EVO

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: Correct Oil Filter FXR4
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 11:16:08 PM »

I use K&N filters....

KN-170C oil filter on the 2000 FXR4 and the KN-171C on the 2007 SEUC Twin Cam.

But if you want to MOCO filters...  The FXR4 uses the Evo filter...   :2vrolijk_21:

I buy them on EBAY from Eastern Performance.
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 09:49:46 AM »

If you read the sales blurb in the catalog for the "Super Premium" 5 micron filter, they now indicate that it is for all '99 and up Twin Cams, BUT it can also be used as an upgrade for the older EVO filters.  That's a different story than what they were putting out many years back, when they obviously still had a big inventory of the EVO filters on hand that they wanted to sell.  The obvious difference in the new filter is the micron rating and the use of more modern synthetic media (filtration material).  The old style treated paper is still a good filtration media, so I wouldn't let that influence my decision.  The big difference is the micron rating.  H-D never made it known what the old filters were rated at, but the consensus seems to be they were in the 20 to 30 micron range that was typical of that period.  Is a 5 micron filter going to filter better?  Depends on how often the filter bypasses due to internal pressure buildup.  Common sense would say a finer filter would be more likely to start plugging up quicker and thus cause the bypass to open.  If that occurs, the finer filter could in fact cause more dirt to stay in the oil.  Without side by side testing I don't know how we can really determine which is "best".

BTW, sadunbar offered the best advice, go with the K&N filter.  The KN-170C (or B if you want black) is the correct part number for an EVO. 

Jerry

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 01:46:15 PM »

Hi,
 Do not use the finer micron filter. It is too restrictive for the Evo oil pump. The finer micron filter was designed for the TC motors. Logic tells you that the finner the filter the better but it can cause the Evo owners problems.
Thanks,
Ltank

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 20 queries.