Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: WINDSHIELDS FOR FAT BOBS  (Read 2730 times)

PHAZE

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '05 SEEG/'06 CUSE/'07 SERK/'09 SERG (ALL SOLD)
    • CVO2: '09 CVO Fat Bob Black Diamond/Fire Quartz (SOLD)
    • CVO3: '11.5 CVO Ultra Classic Twilight Blue/Candy Cobalt
WINDSHIELDS FOR FAT BOBS
« on: March 30, 2010, 11:17:40 AM »

I may want to add a windshield for some riding, but don't want to give up the look when the windshield is removed.  Someone mentioned that units are available now that just clip on to the upper fork tubes, but are removed from the bike completely when you take the unit off.  Has anyone got this set up and how about some photos?

Andy

Re: WINDSHIELDS FOR FAT BOBS
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 03:52:53 PM »

Here you go...oil cooler kewled her off real well.

Aussie1

• Aussie1
  • Junior CVO Member
  • Aussie's escape

• CVO1: 2009 FXDFSE
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 10:36:37 PM »

I bought a detachable windshield about 6months ago. Makes a bit of difference at 70mph but I found the top of the screen was pretty much exactly at eyeline at normal riding position (very distracting), Found myself ducking to compensate. Anyway i've taken it off and never used it since. Gotta say it looks better without iy anyway.
Aussie1 :bananarock:
2009 CVO Fatbob
V&H 2-1
SE Breather
SE Race tuner

PHAZE

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '05 SEEG/'06 CUSE/'07 SERK/'09 SERG (ALL SOLD)
    • CVO2: '09 CVO Fat Bob Black Diamond/Fire Quartz (SOLD)
    • CVO3: '11.5 CVO Ultra Classic Twilight Blue/Candy Cobalt
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 11:02:20 AM »

Here you go...oil cooler kewled her off real well.

Andy,

I probably would just go without the windshield around town, but it would be nice for a trip with some highway miles at 70 MPH.  Do the clamps come off pretty clean without leaving marks on the fork tubes?  I'll be without the windshield most of the time and really prefer the look less the shield, but I also would hate to have the tube marked up from applying the clamps.

I'm 6'-1" with more in the torso than the legs (32" inseam), so my guess is that my line of site would be over the windshield.  What height shield are you running and I assume the height would be based on the distance above the headlight assembly?  Also, it looks like there might be some adjustment depending on where you clamp the brackets on the fork tubes.

Thanks,
PHAZE

Andy

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 11:37:47 AM »

No problems with it marking the tubes up. I take it off almost every time I wash the bike. It’s a little short for what I normally like…I’m 6’3” and normally like the windshield to be at eye level. I can’t stand a windshield I can’t see over. It does do a good job of keeping some of the wind and bugs off!

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 21 queries.