Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: gas...gas  (Read 4421 times)

michaelbmenaker

• Elite CVO Member
  • Ride hard, ride safe!
Re: gas...gas
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2010, 04:46:59 PM »

Have any of you considered the fact that the fuel tank is sitting directly on top of a very hot engine that will rapidly heat the fuel in the tank?  To prevent serious issues with overpressure, all fuel tanks have relief valves in the cap that route the excess vapors to one of two places.  California bikes have a small carbon cannister, similar to all automobiles.  Forty-nine state bikes have a rubber hose that just routes the fumes out into the atmosphere.

The second area that emits fumes is that nice open air cleaner.  Fuel in the intake ports after shutdown also vaporizes, and the open air cleaner just makes it easier for those fumes to escape.  It's something I've noticed over the years when I've changed out the stock airbox for a SE Pro type air cleaner.
Jerry

I'm not sure that the 110 is THAT much hotter than my '02 SERK, but what you say about the open air cleaner may be on the mark. I had a SE air cleaner on the '02, but of course it wasn't open on the sides like the oval on our SESGs...
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 21 queries.