Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Full Face Helmets  (Read 13573 times)

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
Full Face Helmets
« on: February 01, 2006, 10:38:00 AM »

Several months ago there was a thread that detoured off into a dicussion about full face helmets and how hard they were to get used to and how long it took to get accoustomed to one.
Just wanted to throw this out for discussion. Back in early November I bought a full face with the flip-up chin from my local stealer. When I first started using it, I found it was like having a tight 5 gallon bucket with a couple of eye holes cut in on my head. Uncomfortable, site restricting, restricting to head movement and just plain awkward. But as recommended on this site, I decided to wear only that helmet for a couple of months. I have to report it worked for me. This past Sunday we had a beautiful 70 degree day and when I left I grabbed my 3/4 and took off. By the time I got to the end of the block I decided to come back and switch helmets. I found I have grown used to the full face and really missed the secure feeling it provides.
So, I guess to answer the original question, took me 3 months. But we do have winter here and that 3 months translates to about 400 miles.
Just my 2 cents. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Mark Z

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
Re: Full Face Helmets
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 03:50:20 PM »

ditto- i really like my flip up also. i have the hd model now and will upgrade soon. anyone with a flip up they really like? [smiley=banana.gif]

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 04:14:48 PM »

I believe that I may have contributed in that thread that went astray.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2006, 04:15:54 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

RedFXR2

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2006, 04:45:57 PM »

First, I'm sorry to hear about Terrie's accident.  Good thing she had the headgear.

Coincidentally I was trying on full-face helmets this morning.  The one that fit me the best (of the ones I tried) was the ZR1.  Guy at the shop claims it won a helmet test in Motorcyclist magazine recently.  I know what you mean about feeling like your head is in a bucket.  The more, however that I read about accidents, the more I think they're probably a good idea.  I've used a 3/4 for years and just wish I could get a longer face shield, but if I'm going to upgrade, I figure I better at least look at a full-face.  I'll definitely find a Nolan dealer to try theirs.

The thing I thought about today in the shop was this:  Even with ventilation ports, how hot are these things?  I mean, it gets really *warm* down here in the summer, like hot as H.  I can see sweating so much as to impair my vision.  

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2006, 05:09:19 PM »

JCZ,
  I, also, am sorry to hear about Terrie's accident.  Glad she's OK!  I tried on some Full Face Helmets, a while back, when there was some conversation about 'em on the Site.  Man, I don't like them at all!  MJZ's comments gave me another point of view.  Thanks.  Later--HUBBARD  
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

fatboyse2

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2006, 05:15:30 PM »

It's great to hear that a helmet once agin saved something more serious from happening.  I personally wear a full face helmet for all my riding.  There are times I think about getting a beanie cap for the coolness factor, but then I read things like this which knock some sence back into me.

I great place to review helmets and other motorcycle gear can be found here:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmets.htm

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2006, 05:37:31 PM »

I too, have been trying to get used to wearing a full face helmet lately.  Started in the late fall and have gotten to the point that I don't HATE it as much as I did.  I always liked to wear  a 3/4 helmet in the winter w/ a wrap around shield, so it wasn't all that much different.  The worse part of it was adapting to how much trouble it is to get on and off at ea. stop.   And, of course, hard to get sun glasses on and off.  The warmth is great in the winter but I can only guess how hot it will be in the summer.  I think that the heat can cause you disorientation among other things while wearing a helmet in the summer.....of course, the full face will be even worse.  It's gonna be a challenge, but I'm committed to trying......of course, at my ripe ole age, one good fall now and I'm 'dog-meat' anyway.  [smiley=smilie_koch1.gif] Har!  [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

BobP

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2006, 07:07:00 PM »

I'm guilty of only using my full face with a flip up for long winter (SoCal winter) rides and use a 3/4 helmet the rest of the time.
Bob

sefatboyscott

• Senior CVO Member
  • There is no mistaking the Dominant Gene
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2006, 07:50:41 PM »

I have the Harley Full face with the flip up chin. I like it plenty but I have noticed that as it gets older there seems to be more wind noise as the plastic "wings" are starting to pull away from the helmet some. That's my only complaint.
05 FLSTFSE
Caliber Pipes
Screamin Eagle Race tuner
Custom mapped Dyno Tuned
Max Power 97.2 Max Torque 107.3

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2006, 08:15:57 PM »

I'm guilty of only using my full face with a flip up for long winter (SoCal winter) rides and use a 3/4 helmet the rest of the time.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2006, 08:43:08 PM »

I might weaken when I an sitting at a stop light in August when the temp is 100 and the humidity is 100%.
Especially when on that big-motor heater you ride.  [smiley=divers009.gif] har!  [smiley=banana.gif] spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2006, 09:38:10 PM »

JC, terribly sorry to read of Terrie's accident.   You make it sound like she's not too much worse for the incident though.  Also remember reading recently that quite a bit of work had been done to her bike.  How much did the bike get dinged up?  And is she spooked about getting back on it right away?

Good luck and best wishes on her feeling better ASAP!

txbear55

• Full CVO Member
  • IBA
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2006, 11:59:09 PM »

Been in a full face for several years...I guess it's a left over from racing dirtbikes.  No problem with the heat, just crack the shield up for a cool flow of air (105 in Texas is hot, helmet or no). Actually, it's kinda like a hat in the sun and provides shade!  Nice too when caught in the occasional rain or hail storm.  Hang in there, you'll get used to it!

RedFXR2

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2006, 08:55:11 AM »

No problem with the heat, just crack the shield up for a cool flow of air (105 in Texas is hot, helmet or no).

Good point.  We had some 105 days down here in FL last summer, too.  I remember sitting at a traffic light, and between the asphalt, sunlight, and my engine heat, I really thought I was going to bake if I didn't get moving again quick.  FL is a helmet-optional state so some folks tend to look at you funny for wearing anything more than a dew-rag on your head, especially in the summer.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2006, 10:53:15 AM »

First, I'm sorry to hear about Terrie's accident.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 21 queries.