Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Full Face Helmets  (Read 13360 times)

BobD

• Senior CVO Member
  • '06 FLHTCUSE
Re: Full Face Helmets
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2006, 09:41:41 PM »

I decided to try a full face helmet a few months ago. Most of them gave me a closter phobic feeling when I tried them on. I tried the HJC flip up model and felt a little better. They make the H-D flip up helmet too. They're identical except for the logo - oh yeah and the price. Anyway, I bought it and have worn it quite a bit trying to get used to it. I have a few complaints. It is unbearably hot! I can't hear anything. My peripheral vision is nearly nonexistent. Every time I take it off my hair looks like I just stepped out of the shower. I have red marks on both cheeks and across my forehead. Needless to say, I'm disappointed but I guess protecting your brain comes with sacrafice. I really wanted the safety of a full face helmet but sure miss the wind in my face, the smell of fresh air and a panoramic view of everything around me. In this day of technology, can't some smart guy invent an ultra light, comfortable and well vented helmet that makes you want to wear it? [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
We will be remembered for all the rules we break.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2006, 10:01:50 PM »

In this day of technology, can't some smart guy invent an ultra light, comfortable and well vented helmet that makes you want to wear it? [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
Boy, that's the truth!  Maybe we could get NASA to design one for us.  One of those upside down fishbowl looking deals.  Then the vision deal would be taken care of.......but, then I couldn't paint it 'pank'.  har!  [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

EAGLE1

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE CVO Street Glide "Silvia"
    • CVO2: 2006 FLSTFSE² Screamin’ Eagle® Fat Boy® (SOLD)
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2006, 10:20:11 PM »

Needless to say, I'm disappointed but I guess [highlight]protecting your brain comes with sacrafice[/highlight]. I really wanted the safety of a full face helmet but sure miss the wind in my face, the smell of fresh air and a panoramic view of everything around me. In this day of technology, can't some smart guy invent an ultra light, comfortable and well vented helmet that makes you want to wear it? [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

hey EZ

Here's some alternatives to a full face helmet, not much protection but fun to wear!

or if your a real hard ass

« Last Edit: February 07, 2006, 01:03:35 AM by EAGLE1 »
Toes in the water, ass in the sand

Johnny

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2006, 04:33:09 AM »

Have been wearing a full face helmet for the last few years after my seperation & slide accross three freeway lanes in Nashville doing 60+ MPH.  At first was a little clostraphobic but have since gotten totally comfortable with them, in fact if I'm not wearing a full face I fell uncomfortable.  Here in Georgia it gets hot in the summer and have found if I just keep the shield flipped I'm ok.

Had some problems with glasses but found the padding in most helmets can be somewhat compressed along the area where my glasses fit to releave the tightness.

Just purchase the Kevelar Harley FXRG helmet (recived yesterday so have not had chance to ride with it yet) after reading an evaluation on it in Motorcycle Consumer News.  They stated it was the lightest and quietest full face helmet they had ever tested & gave it glowing reviews.  It has seven air vents & fog free sheild which I like.  My biggest gripe about FF helmets is fogging when ridding in the rain.

I also have a Harley FF helmet made by Shoei that I really like as it is quiet and very comfortable on me.  Have couple of other Shoei/Arai that I find to be most comfortable.  I have a Shoei flip up FF that I quit using because the no fiip helmets are quieter.

Like I said, it took a while but now wear FF year around & also like the secure feeling they give me.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2006, 07:47:20 AM »

Have been wearing a full face helmet for the last few years after my seperation & slide accross three freeway lanes in Nashville doing 60+ MPH.
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2006, 10:13:25 AM »

I've saw several references in this thread to a "quiet" helmet.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2006, 10:15:17 AM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2006, 10:16:01 AM »

I've saw several references in this thread to a "quiet" helmet.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2006, 11:03:21 AM »

JC,

Some of the earliest flip-up helmets were rather noisy due to the fit where the chin bar pivot was located.  Some of the reviews at the time mentioned excessive windnoise.  The current crop of flip-ups that I've seen look to be much better in this regard.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2006, 11:07:04 AM »

I'm glad you asked that. I was wondering the same. My H-D flip is tomb quiet, I hear nothing at all.

Radio?

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2006, 11:11:04 AM »

[highlight]Radio[/highlight]?
That is why I had to get Hog Wired. More volume w/o distortion.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2006, 11:16:44 AM »

That is why I had to get Hog Wired. More volume w/o distortion.

So you can still hear the radio ok?  At least the HawgWired new and improved audio version?  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2006, 11:22:47 AM »

So you can still hear the radio ok?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2006, 11:30:29 AM »

OK MJ, thanks.  If you can still hear it ok with just the speaker improvement (HogTunes or HawgWired) then you'll be in truly fine shape if you install the amp kit too.  Then it won't be the bike in the next lane at the stop light that also enjoys your tunes.  It'll be the bike staggered in the lane behind while you're both doing 80 on the Interstate  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2006, 11:32:00 AM »

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2006, 11:36:02 AM »

What about a helmet with built in speakers and mic so you can use the intercom and phone?

Anybody try KBC or Arai with the J&M speakers?

http://www.twowheelsound.com/id5.html
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 21 queries.