Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: Full Face Helmets  (Read 13579 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Full Face Helmets
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2006, 11:39:02 AM »

What about a helmet with built in speakers and mic so you can use the intercom and phone?

Anybody try KBC or Arai with the J&M speakers?

http://www.twowheelsound.com/id5.html

You've got a place to plug in the helmet on your SEUC.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2006, 11:39:29 AM by twolanerider »

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2006, 11:43:30 AM »

If I'm one up that's what I do too.  I just let the world listen to my music.

All this full face talk has me thinking though.

I know (logically) it is the only way to go.  You start thinking about enjoying the rest of your life etc. not to mention the 50 employees that rely on you to sign checks and provide for them and their families.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2006, 12:58:31 PM »

Radio?

I have the stock radio with Hog Tunes speakers and I hear it with fine with my flip face.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2006, 01:02:21 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Johnny

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2006, 07:39:53 PM »

spyder - Details of my accident: It was a beautiful sunshining day & I had ridden from Atlanta to Nashville.  Got there just before rush hour 4:30 or so was heading north on I24 heading into downtown where 24 & 40 merge.  Where they merge the freeway goes from 3 lanes each (24 & 40) to 6 total - none of the lanes merge togeather.  I was in the third lane form the left which after the merge would have put me in one of the center lane.  Just as the two lanes merged the traffic from I40 was on my right and an SOB in a red honda accod came from the other center lane without warring, turn signal or any other indication into my lane (again the lanes did not merge).  I have a split second to react & with traffic on my left & right (again heavy traffic, friday afternoon, almost rush hour, but still moving at 60+mph) I could have let him hit me but instead hit both brakes.  Locked up both tires, bike was doing weird things especiall when it hit the oily portion of the lane.  Next thing I know is the bike is going down to the right but I was going so fast that when the crash bars hit it flipped the bike back to the left & threw me off of the bike.  I remember my face heading toward the pavment & stuck my arm out to cushion the initial impact.  I had so mush momentuim, I began to roll & tumble accross the lanes & remember thinking I hope the cars dont hit me.  After several tumbles I ended up on my back on the grassy medium between the north & south bound lanes (which was a blessing as I had just cleared an over pass with concreate sides that I would have slamed against).  As I was rolling & fliping accross the lanes I saw the traffic heading towards me & the next thing I saw was my bike sliding down the road & I saw it several times in stop & go motion as I tumbled.  All of the cars avoided me & my bike was easily 100 feet or sow further down the road in a pile and somking.

I know the MSF people say every acident can be avoided and perhaps I should have better aticipated this guy comming over into my lane but there was no indication & when I realized he was comming over it was too late.  The lesson learned reflecting back was that I should have left myself a way out incase someone comes over on you like that & be more defensive in anticipating that type of thing ie assume he is comming over.

After an asisted ride to the hospital & short stay came out relitively ok.  While in the emergency room doctor determined it was ok to remove my 3/4 helmet (EMTs left it on & taped me to a board for the trip) & later showed me the gashes in it including accross where my face was.  Ironicly, my sunglases & the helmet had scraped the pavment but there was not a scratch on my face!!  Was down for the next few days, then on crutches for several weeks & several more rhabing (still have lots of scars & pains though).  I think it was in September when I met a couple of my buddies in Nashville (where the bike was repaired) & rode the bike home with my full face helment on!!

Johnny

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2006, 07:43:22 PM »

JC - I get a large amount of wind noise in all of the helmets I have worn & I think it is because I am tall & ride looking over the windshield.  I am hoping the new FXRG helmet will help solve some of this as it is causing havic with my hearing especially after a long day of riding.

If I sat behind the shield I suspect I would have less wind noise.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2006, 07:56:38 PM »

Johnny (and others), if you want a quiet full-face helmet, you owe it to yourself to try Shoei.  I wore those exclusively for many years and nothing beats 'em for quiet, comfort or lightweight, IMHO.  I should be wearing one now, but as you point out, sitting behind the windscreen on the Harley Electra Glides wind noise it not as much of an issue, so I got cheap and overcome with vanity and bought a Harley-branded helmet.  Not sure who makes the FXRG for them, but there is no comparison between the HJC flip-up I have now and the Shoei I used to wear.

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2006, 07:59:27 PM »

JC - I get a large amount of wind noise in all of the helmets I have worn & I think it is because I am tall & ride looking over the windshield.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2006, 09:56:39 PM »

JC - I get a large amount of wind noise in all of the helmets I have worn & I think it is because I am tall & ride looking over the windshield.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Be Still and Know that I AM God
    • TN

• CVO1: 2012 ULTRA FLHTCUSE7
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG FLHTCSE2
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG FLTRSEI
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2006, 10:24:27 PM »

JC

I got the N100 helmet too. I don't know for sure what it is but when I go the summer wearing a skid helmet and then go to the Nolan Flip Helmet in the Winter, I have to get use to the sounds. Can't say its wind noise maybe an echo but it's something. Then I must get use to it because I can't pin point it now. Dang I sound stupid! :-? Anyway, I am going to try and go with full face this summer. I also started wearing earplugs after reading someone here talking about a ringing in thier ears and doctor told him to start wearing earplugs. You can hear raido and people talking just takes loudness away.

Johnny, what I'm trying to say is if your hearing too much windnoise you may go with earplugs and keep the helmet you already have.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2006, 10:26:04 PM by J.Rud »

sefatboyscott

• Senior CVO Member
  • There is no mistaking the Dominant Gene
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2006, 10:03:08 PM »

I must have the older style flip up helmet although its less than a year old. The wind noise is ALOT coming in at the the hinges above the ears. Also the little vents in the back have popped out of the helmet and no amount of tweeking will get them to snap back into place. Also the snaps that hold the liner in near the front ( near the chin strap ) have not snapped into place since about a week after I got it, I unsnapped them once and have never been able to snap em back up. In my opinion its a POS. Next time will NOT buy a flip up. As for peripheral vision, no complaints there. One day they will make a shield that does not scratch if dust blows across it.......lol.
05 FLSTFSE
Caliber Pipes
Screamin Eagle Race tuner
Custom mapped Dyno Tuned
Max Power 97.2 Max Torque 107.3

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2006, 11:53:49 PM »

JC

I got the N100 helmet too. I don't know for sure what it is but when I go the summer wearing a skid helmet and then go to the Nolan Flip Helmet in the Winter, I have to get use to the sounds. Can't say its wind noise maybe an echo but it's something. Then I must get use to it because I can't pin point it now. Dang I sound stupid! :-? Anyway, I am going to try and go with full face this summer. I also started wearing earplugs after reading someone here talking about a ringing in thier ears and doctor told him to start wearing earplugs. You can hear raido and people talking just takes loudness away.

Johnny, what I'm trying to say is if your hearing too much windnoise you may go with earplugs and keep the helmet you already have.

West Coast GTG   
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 21 queries.