Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: oil gauge  (Read 1559 times)

hollywood

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
oil gauge
« on: August 26, 2010, 06:10:09 PM »

gauge fluxuates from about 32 to pegged out to 60 going along at e steady speed. took it to the stealer they said everything looked fine.cam tensioners look great also. my bike is a 04 pumpkin.they rode it and said it didnt do it on them.what is going on thanks.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: oil gauge
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 06:38:22 PM »

Short answer is you nor anyone else yet knows for sure.  Doesn't really sound like an engine issue but you certainly want to find out what the problem is.  Sending unit is as likely as anything to be the problem.  It's also cheap and easy to change.  Might as well start there.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 07:12:00 PM »

One possibility is an intermittent short to ground on the brown/green wire from the sending unit, which would cause the gauge to go to full scale.  Could be internal to the sending unit, or it could be a bare spot somewhere between the sending unit and the gauge that grounds out occasionally.  Good place to look is inside the fairing, where some of the wiring can easily get chafed on the brackets.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

rw3673

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE. Was candy cobalt. Getting custom paint
    • CVO2: 2007 CVO Ultra. B/O. Sold
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 04:34:56 PM »

Mine did exactly same thing last year on way to bike week.  once I shut the bike down and started again, it operated as normal.  Dealer in Savanah pulled apart the sending unit and replaced it and it wouldn't do it again.  They even took it an stuck it on their dino for 50 miles ... wouldn't do it again.  Got back on the road and it continued to peg right out again, so I started tapping the face on the guage(pretty hard tap) and it would flutter down.  turned out to be the guage itself.  I think some moisture got into it and it shorted out

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 21 queries.