Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Author Topic: Question for you Trailer Pullers  (Read 12209 times)

Musclehead

Question for you Trailer Pullers
« on: April 18, 2010, 09:06:45 PM »

My wife is planning to take some longer trips with me and believes we need a trailer for all her stuff - unless I can make it a week with one pair of jeans. I've tried to search for previous topics, but there no way to narrow the search to trailers that motorcycles pull versus trailers motorcycles ride in, so I haven't found anything useful. I've researched sites for American Legend, N-Line and Bushtec, but they don't offer the advantages they offer over their competitors. All I have to go on is price and looks. Can any of you with experience pulling trailers give me some pointers to consider? I'll be pulling it with a 2010 CVO Ultra Classic. Thanks for your help.

JDOFLHRIDER

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2010 FLHTCUSE5 BURNT AMBER -HOT CITRUS
Re: Question for you Trailer Pullers
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 09:11:37 PM »

I have pulled a single wheel trailer with a mchitch .Trailer fit in motel rooms elevators and haul enough stuff for 5 days.  http://www.uni-go.com/ is web site .  good luck jdo

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 09:18:33 PM »

My wife is planning to take some longer trips with me and believes we need a trailer for all her stuff - unless I can make it a week with one pair of jeans. I've tried to search for previous topics, but there no way to narrow the search to trailers that motorcycles pull versus trailers motorcycles ride in, so I haven't found anything useful. I've researched sites for American Legend, N-Line and Bushtec, but they don't offer the advantages they offer over their competitors. All I have to go on is price and looks. Can any of you with experience pulling trailers give me some pointers to consider? I'll be pulling it with a 2010 CVO Ultra Classic. Thanks for your help.

I have a Bushtec Quantum....and I love it. 

A design advantage...the suspension does not bounce...you can't make it bounce.... 

A design disadvantage...the suspension utilizes air shocks in the design, which have to be pumped up with each use, everyday of a trip...
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Musclehead

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 09:33:30 PM »

The no-bounce feature sounds attractive. How much trouble is airing the suspension? Is it just a matter of doing it, or is the air valve like getting to the air suspension on a ultra classic - requires some parts removal for access?

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 09:37:14 PM »

The no-bounce feature sounds attractive. How much trouble is airing the suspension? Is it just a matter of doing it, or is the air valve like getting to the air suspension on a ultra classic - requires some parts removal for access?

It is easily accessible for the hand pump.  It is just a matter of doing it.  If you care to, you can always add an onboard compressor and just push a button.  There is a compressor system made for the application.   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 09:38:55 PM »

No doubt you'll find lots of folks with strong feelings for their particular brand - and each does have pluses and minuses.  I've had two different Bushtec trailers (both their Turbo +2 model) and like them.  IMO their suspension is superior to other makes and I like their larger diameter wheels - just personally don't care for the smaller 'boat trailer' type wheels.  I don't have any problem with the air suspension and rarely have to adjust it on a trip - maybe once - and I've been on three week road trips with mine.  And Bushtec uses a heim joint vs the standard ball type for its hitch.  This allows for more range of motion and I think is a better choice for motorcycle trailers since they move up/down, side to side and also lean.

As for other brands, the American Legend does look more 'harleyish' as its top model has fenders over the wheels and uses Harley style brake lights.  It is a good looking rig.  Personally, I do not care for the single wheels trailers - too small and I just don't care for the look with a big dresser.

So different models for different preferences.  Good luck with whatever make you decide on.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 09:45:15 PM »

Have a Bushtec also.  To join the chorus the suspension makes the trailers easy to handle and safer behind you.  Other rigs are nice too.  Have seen and liked the American Legends also.

Following on what Jerry said I've not had to add a little air each day on a trip.  The camber on the trailer tires changes significantly with variations in the pressure so you can see it visually if you've lost pressure.

Bushtec has a model called a Roadstar also.  Slightly smaller internal volume than the units Jerry and Scott mention.  But does look more Harley-ish to my eyes.  That's a subjective thing that will be different for every set of eyes though.  The Roadstar looks like this:

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 10:03:27 PM »

I have a Turbo 2+2 and you have to remember it is back there.  I found mine used from the Bushtec Forum from Bushtec's website.  About the only real change they have made is that they went with a longer tongue in or around 1996 if you are buying used.

I am fortunate not to have to add air while on a trip either (even though I carry the pump)..

Musclehead

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 04:58:41 AM »

Thanks for your input. This is helpful.

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 09:18:24 AM »

I pulled an American Legend for years of carefree touring.  The only trailer I ever pulled so I can't really compare to others... All I can say is I loved my American Legend.

When my wife started riding her own Ultra there was little need for the trailer, so I sold it to a buddy who in the past 5 years has put over 35,000 on it and he says it still pulls like a dream.

Good luck with your decision. With so many great products on the market nowadays, it will most likely come down to personal preference on looks.

Enjoy touring this summer and at least now you can take 2 pairs of jeans!
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

mattman22033

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 10:27:30 AM »

I have had my Uni-Go since August 2007. Never had any problems with it. It is small enough you can wheel into your hotel room like rolling luggage...that always gets some interesting looks. I won't go on a 2-up week long trip without it.
http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u228/mattman22033/
2011 Road Glide Ultra - V&H Propipe Chrome, SE intake, SEPST
2007 FLHRSE3 - Big Inch Power
2002 FLHRSEi - For Sale
2006 Road Glide - gone
2002 Fat Boy - gone
2002 Ultra - long gone

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 10:37:47 AM »

Sounds like you plan to use the trailer often?
Price and looks.
What is your preference for both?
Most all the trailers on the market will "do the job".

I bought the cheapest trailer I could find for my '09 (not the flashiest, but, it worked flawlessly) and went on a 22,000 mile tour last summer......NO problems with the setup at all.
Pulling the trailer seemed to make the bike handle better in crosswinds, but, it coulda been just the '09 frame?
Now, the wife is not into camping anymore, and we don't pack as much gear.
This rig weighed close to 400 lbs when I checked on the road.
Good luck in your search, I think you will not mind the "extra load" you just have to slow down a bit.
 :2vrolijk_21:
HOGMIKE

Ultra2010

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2010, 11:04:38 AM »

I have been pulling a Bushtec since 1989.  I heard you can get an electric onboard air pump, call Andrew at Bushtec and I'm sure he can point you in the correct direction.  I like their trailers, light, solid quality, etc....  I also REALLY like the American Legend rigs....   I don't know much about the other brands out there but with either a Bushtec or A/L, you really can't go wrong.   The Bushtec hitch pin is a lot cleaner looking.  I even use it for going to Costco and most other grocery shopping I get stuck doing! 
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 11:06:32 AM by Ultra2010 »

Sklywag

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 09 Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 06 CVO Ultra - Sold
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2010, 12:11:20 PM »

In my mind the 1st & most important thing to decide is "how big a trailer do I need/want"  The reason I say that is the cargo size varies dramatically.
I have the UniGo, we love it, it is exactally what we needed & wanted, but it is only 5 cu ft in storage vs the Bushtec which I believe is 26 cu ft.  Others range in size in between.

Fo us the Unigo is just like a big suitcase.  Everything goes in it that need to come into the room, the stuff that doesn't come in get packed in the Saddle Bags.

Bill (Sklywag)
  There are too many roads for one lifetime...

5.56mm

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 BLK #919
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2010, 03:02:56 PM »

I'm selling my Aero Quickstar for half of the price of a new one.  The way it is built, you don't have much weight on the back of your bike and it won't wobble behind you. Just well balanced and 19 cu.ft of storage!!!

See it at:
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=48172.0
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 21 queries.