Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pillion pad rubbing rear fender.  (Read 5830 times)

BusyHunter

Pillion pad rubbing rear fender.
« on: April 20, 2010, 10:02:47 PM »

I've noticed slight rub marks on the fender where the pillion pad flexes at the outside when a passenger is riding.

The rub is just about where the seam on the bottom of the p-pad is.

Any advice on protecting the rear fender without something that looks like crap or can be put on and taken off relatively quickly.

I've looked at vinyl clear tape (low tack), static adhesive clear vinyl, and other protection options, but it all looks crappy because the area where the rub occurs is visible until the passenger is mounted and compresses the pad (down onto the fender... argh!).

And no, she isn't a large passenger - maybe 115 lbs, so it isn't taking much to push the pad onto the fender... 8)

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
Re: Pillion pad rubbing rear fender.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 01:00:33 AM »

I have noticed the same thing on the left side of the bike.  Thought I had marred it in some way but believe it is caused from just what you say.  Sort of stings when taking off the seat to show it as it was designed.  Oh, well, there's nothing as visible as the first scratch or marr on a brand new bike.  It's all down hill from here.  Any ideas for good quality wax to bring the luster back to that place? 

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 03:37:18 AM »

each and every H-D seat rubs - and always did so. H-D used to apply some 3M on those places with the Heritage models for instance. Not the most beautifull solution, but it used to work.

You may want to investigate this thread.
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

BusyHunter

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 10:31:37 AM »

I have noticed the same thing on the left side of the bike.  Thought I had marred it in some way but believe it is caused from just what you say.  Sort of stings when taking off the seat to show it as it was designed.  Oh, well, there's nothing as visible as the first scratch or marr on a brand new bike.  It's all down hill from here.  Any ideas for good quality wax to bring the luster back to that place? 

The left side is the most noticeable of the two rub marks on mine. It appears to be the way the pad is allowed to tip as well as the flex of the cushion outside the perimiter of the pan.

I've got a couple things I'll be trying today to avoid the tip and flex and eliminate the rubbing.

As for bringing back the lustre, looks like a full rub job on mine.  It is almost invisible with just a wax job, so I won't need to get to agressive with a rub or polish.  I'm partial to P21s myself for wax, but that's just me.

The pisser is that "I" didn't get to make the first blemish.  Maybe I'll go drop a wrench on the front fender so I can have a mark to call my own  ;)

BusyHunter

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 10:38:22 AM »

each and every H-D seat rubs - and always did so. H-D used to apply some 3M on those places with the Heritage models for instance. Not the most beautifull solution, but it used to work.

You may want to investigate this thread.

Yah, they showed me the "protection" on a bike on the floor.  Great protection if you never take off the pad.  Interestingly, I pointed out on that 'new' bike where the pillion was already rubbing the paint even with the ugly ass protection on the fender. 

Time for me to go and MacGyver something for this issue.

BusyHunter

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 02:51:57 PM »

I've taken care of the problem and the solution works very well with minimal effort.

The problem with any protection on the fender was visibility since the rub is in a visible location without a passenger, thus protecting that portion would have made the protection visible.   
This solution is invisible with pillion pad on.

I went to the hardware store and picked up two #7 rubber stoppers.  Cut off the lower 5/8" (approx.) and is what is used under the seat.

I grabbed my trusty industrial strength velcro and cut it to size for the top of the stoppers.  This is quality Velcro that I have used for similar things.  The adhesive is extremely good stuff but can be removed. Great where constant pressure is being applied like under the seat.

For fender protection from the bumper, I just cut out some small rectangles of window cling or (vinyl static stickers would work) and put them on the "CLEAN" fender, add the pillion and it’s done.

Here are some images.

Bumper Placement under Pad
Used industrial velcro for bumper to covering.  The good stuff.
(Ignore the velcro you see on the pan - that was my first test and in those positions, they don't help at all.)

Static Adhesive / Vinyl Static Cling / etc. on fender
This stuff goes on and comes off clean.  Even kids vinyl static cling stickers would work well here as they don't move and don't gum up the paint.
Low tack vinyl tape might work, but the adhesive will probably heat up in the sun and make a mess.
I just have to make sure the fender is clean as I don't want any debrit under that stuff where the bumper makes contact.

View up under the seat.
The bumpers are in constant contact to a relative flat part of the fender so there is no tipping, rubbing, bumping, sliding or shifting. 

Invisible to all
The coolest part, it's invisible externally and only adds about 3 seconds to going solo because I have to pick up the static cling.  Of course, I could just leave it and it would probably blow off.

I had my wife butt-test the mod and squirm around to try and get it touch, shift, etc...  Nothing. This thing doesn't budge, tip, rub, or move at all.

There is still a little tweaking to do, but for now - no more rub marks.

Best $3.27 mod I can think of for this bike.

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 04:41:46 PM »

nice idea - and a nice bike, btw  ;)
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

Paulie

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 06:40:44 PM »

Try aircraft chaffing tape.  It is about $10 a roll, but leaves no residue. 

Blueyz0416

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 09:30:01 PM »

BusyHunter and Paulie both have good ideas IMO.  I ride solo almost all of the time, but can imagine this would most definitely tick me off if I saw the rubbing on the paint finish.  Great ideas,,,really.
Carol

2010 CVO Softail Convertible, "Scarlett"

BusyHunter

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 09:50:28 AM »

Try aircraft chaffing tape.  It is about $10 a roll, but leaves no residue. 

Thanks for the info.  That will be very handy to have around and seems like just the right thing indeed.

Quick question on that tape, does it stick to itself OK?  I need about 2"x2" and I can only seem to find it in 1" width so I would need to overlay two pieces a bit.

BusyHunter

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 09:56:22 AM »

BusyHunter and Paulie both have good ideas IMO.  I ride solo almost all of the time, but can imagine this would most definitely tick me off if I saw the rubbing on the paint finish.  Great ideas,,,really.

I ride solo most often as well, thus the need to correct the issue. 

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 21 queries.