Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Garage Door Opener Stopped Working  (Read 6963 times)

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
Garage Door Opener Stopped Working
« on: May 02, 2010, 12:42:56 AM »

When I changed out my high beam to an HID, the garage door stopped working.  It was fine when I changed the low beam, but now it won't work.  If I disconnect the plug from the HID high beam to the ballast, the garage door works.  Plug it back in, and no garage door.  Any ideas?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 02:07:46 AM by 1abastarsmda »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Garage Door Opener Stopped Working
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 02:17:54 AM »

How'd you take off the high beam feed at the headlight plug to power the second HID ballast?  Remember that the high and low beam feeds also signal the garage door opener transmitter.  So first guess has to be that somehow in adding the ballast the high beam feed to the transmitter is being lost/unhooked/something.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 02:46:37 AM »

From the headlamp switch to the ballast and then from the ballast to the bulb.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 02:47:19 AM »

and another pic

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 02:50:48 AM »

If I unplug that connector that is sitting just to the left of the bulbs in the pic, then the garage door opener works fine.  Put it back together and no more garage door opener.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 02:55:57 AM »

I'm guessing that it's similar to when I had the FOB in my windshield bag directly over the ballast.  The ballast created interference and the alarm went off until I moved the FOB.  I'm thinking that the ballast being hooked into the same wire is creating interference and won't let the opener work.  The transmitter in the fairing doesn't even blink when the ballast is hooked up.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 03:03:36 AM »

I'm wondering if something like this item could make the problem go away.  http://www.ddmtuning.com/index.php?p=product&id=130&parent=94

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 03:07:56 AM »

I'm guessing that it's similar to when I had the FOB in my windshield bag directly over the ballast.  The ballast created interference and the alarm went off until I moved the FOB.  I'm thinking that the ballast being hooked into the same wire is creating interference and won't let the opener work.  The transmitter in the fairing doesn't even blink when the ballast is hooked up.

Dave, I'm sorry but I can't tell well what I'm seeing in the pics.  Just not sure what sources are tied where and how it all runs together.  One thing in your description bears question though.

If it's an electrical interference issue it should be just that; an interference problem for the transmission over the airwave.  Not a function problem of the transmitter itself. 

If what you're seeing makes you think the transmitter isn't even sending a signal (interfered with or not) that would make me consider a feed problem from the headlight circuit even more.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 03:12:06 AM »

I'm wondering if something like this item could make the problem go away.  http://www.ddmtuning.com/index.php?p=product&id=130&parent=94

Don't see how.  Headlights on the bikes aren't on any data bus.  Bike doesn't know if they're on or off.  Headlights and spotlights are some of the few things still on the bikes that just get electricity thrown at them without any monitoring of their actual function.  The devices in the link likely deal with the differences in power consumption or other applications use of the HID versus a "standard" bulb.  We don't have to deal with that with our headlights.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 03:13:08 AM »

Dave, I'm sorry but I can't tell well what I'm seeing in the pics.  Just not sure what sources are tied where and how it all runs together.  One thing in your description bears question though.

If it's an electrical interference issue it should be just that; an interference problem for the transmission over the airwave.  Not a function problem of the transmitter itself. 

If what you're seeing makes you think the transmitter isn't even sending a signal (interfered with or not) that would make me consider a feed problem from the headlight circuit even more.

But in this case, I wasn't thinking airwave, but direct connection through the same wiring route.  I'm not much for electrical circuitry, so I'm just taking wild stabs in the air.  But  the fact that simply pulling apart the connector that goes from the headlamp switch to the ballast makes it work tells me that it's definitely the ballast causing interference somehow.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 03:15:17 AM »

Don't see how.  Headlights on the bikes aren't on any data bus.  Bike doesn't know if they're on or off.  Headlights and spotlights are some of the few things still on the bikes that just get electricity thrown at them without any monitoring of their actual function.  The devices in the link likely deal with the differences in power consumption or other applications use of the HID versus a "standard" bulb.  We don't have to deal with that with our headlights.

That was the other question in my mind...could it be consuming too much power so that there isn't any for the garage door opener?

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2010, 03:19:07 AM »

I'm going to call DDM Tuning on Monday and see if they have any answers for me on this.  Maybe they have run into this problem before.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2010, 03:19:55 AM »

But in this case, I wasn't thinking airwave, but direct connection through the same wiring route.  I'm not much for electrical circuitry, so I'm just taking wild stabs in the air.  But  the fact that simply pulling apart the connector that goes from the headlamp switch to the ballast makes it work tells me that it's definitely the ballast causing interference somehow.

Interference not as in electrical interference over the airwaves (that wouldn't keep the little led from blinking) but interference as in its interfering with it working right; ok  :drink:

Take a look at the yellow and white wires to the headlight.  One for high beam and one for low beam.  Black wire to the original headlight plug(s) is the ground. 

A ground connection will go to one side of each ballast.

The low beam feed supplies one ballast.

The high beam feed supplies the other.

We'd talked about all that before. 

Now take a look and see where you're tapping in to the high beam wire.  Is it tapped in the harness somewhere or are you plugging directly in to the headlight socket?  If plugging directly in to the headlight socket are you sure you have the polarity correct?

I'll be up another hour or so.  Give a call if you want to.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2010, 03:22:46 AM »

That was the other question in my mind...could it be consuming too much power so that there isn't any for the garage door opener?

Load that heavy would blow a fuse.  It's a little counterintuitive.  But the brighter HID bulbs actually end up with less current draw than the old halogen bulbs.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2010, 03:23:53 AM »

Load that heavy would blow a fuse.  It's a little counter intuitive.  But the brighter HID bulbs actually end up with less current draw than the old halogen bulbs.

I'm trying to find my phone.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 21 queries.