Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: FRX3 Vibration  (Read 3613 times)

td119

• Elite CVO Member
FRX3 Vibration
« on: May 03, 2010, 09:58:12 PM »

This past January I picked up a 99 Blue FXR3 from California had it shipped east and since the bike had been sitting for a few years it went straight to the local HD dealer for a complete service, rebuild carb, gas tank cleaning, replace leaking rocker cover gaskets, new exhaust, repack bearings, etc...  After all the repairs I test drove the bike and notice a slight vibration in the right forward controls, not to bad but it was noticeable.  After about 400 miles the vibration is getting worse.   :(  The vibration is in the 2000 to 2800 rpm range, pulling thru the gears, smoothes out at around 3000-3200 rpm in 5th.  If I pull the clutch in when in any of the five gears the bike is smooth no vibrations, no wobbling, engage the clutch and the vibration is back thru out the bike.  My better half complains her teeth chatter and will not ride the bike, not sure if that is a bad thing. 8)

Before I start down the path of replacing motor mounts, etc...  I am interested in other people’s experience with vibration on the FXR's.  Is this normal??  I also have a 03 Fat Boy and 09 SERG the Fat Boy is a dream to ride compare to the FXR. 

Your responses and suggestions are very much appreciated.

Mike

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
Re: FRX3 Vibration
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 10:01:30 PM »

Hi,
 the easiest thing to check is the front motor mount. FXR idle a little rough but should smooth out as rpm is increased.
There should not be alot or discomfort. This may sound silly but some boots transfer more energy than others.Try the easy first.
Ltank

63SSRagtop

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 04:33:43 AM »

To do the rocker cover gaskets the tank is unbolted and lifted out of the way (book calls for removal, but you can easily unbolt it and stuff a rag under there to hold it out of the way) and the front motor mount and the upper is removed to tilt the engine forward to get to the bolts on the rocker covers...

With the new exhaust you could be getting some vibs if it touches the frame somewhere so i'd check the mounts for that and any possible interference along the exhaust pipe.. Its also very possible that your forward controls actuating rod to the master cylinder may contact the exhaust..

My actuating rod for the forwards was practically on the pipes till i shimmed the rod a tad to get it off of them. (not sure if your using stock MC or not, if your using forwards that incorporate an MC this shouldn't be an issue)

Odds are its either the mounts not torqued down (maybe a split mount but not likely) or the brake actuating rod.  If you don't see anything along those lines check your tank bolts to make sure they are torqued as well.  Let us know how it goes...

What pipes did you put on?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 08:09:14 AM by 63SSRagtop »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 04:10:06 PM »

Good post above!!!!!    :2vrolijk_21:

:pepper:

It would really be helpful when guys get things figured out to remember to come back here and tell us what it was and how you fixed it.......will ALWAYS help others down the way!!!!!

Regards,

Tim

td119

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 05:16:26 PM »

I like to thank everyone for their feedback and suggestion in response to some of the question the rocker cover gaskets were replaced back in January and the bike has HD forward control and like most I have to wrap my leg around the air filter to reach the brake pedal, plan to change this after I straighten out the vibration issue.
As for the exhaust I installed a V&H 2 into 1, did not have much of a choice on the exhaust with the forward controls.  I am happy with the performance and sound. 

After reading as many treads on various different forums and talking to a bunch of folks I decided to take the following steps to try to solve the FXR3 vibration:

1.   Replace the motor mounts with Glide Pro mounts
2.   Replace the exhaust mounts/bracket with a custom mount attached to the trans and not supported by any part of the bike frame, 
             the exhaust bracket which came with the exhausted did not fit and the dealer modified the bracket and is currently attached near
             the passenger foot pegs (I know this is part of the vibration issue)
3.   Realign the trans and motor 

If all goes well the dealer should have the bike done by the end of this week keeping my fingers cross.   

Mike

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 01:18:12 PM »

Mike~

HEY THANKS FOR THE UPDATE!!!!

Awesome.....it will help someone in the future for sure.......

Keep us posted......you sound like you are definitely taking the appropriate steps towards getting that vibration removed. 

Just remember sometimes those "new" styled motor mounts like any motor mount can be of just enough design difference that the material itself might lead to some "lingering" vibration....ie: Changed the motor mounts in a couple of locations on my volvo only to realize that I removed the associated problem of having the OEM's crack and break up to now having a bit more vibration at idle than before.....sometimes you give to take or take to give....or something like that.....  :2vrolijk_21:

:pepper:

I know that my FXR2 has more vibration than my 2002 RKC at idle but once the bike gets moving everything settles down.....

Keep us posted on your progress....

Regards,

Tim

63SSRagtop

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 04:25:32 AM »

If that modified exhaust mount isn't a rubberized one, it IS the problem..  ;)  Fix that first and you'll save some cash on the other mounts.. with mileage that low they shouldnt be bad..

td119

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 02:10:51 PM »

This past Friday picked up the FXR3 and after replacing the motor mounts and realigning the trans and motor plus the exhaust bracket was replace with a custom bracketed mounted to the trans the bike is a lot smoother !!!   :orange:
After talking to the dealer it seems the rear mounts needed replacing but was not the main cause of the vibration.  The exhaust bracket caused a lot of the vibration especially in the low rpm range.  Once the bracket was redesigned the bike smoothed out and a tremendous difference could be felt at the lower gears and highway driving.

Still have a vibration in the forward controls at the low rpm’s but bearable and after putting on 150 miles, local and highway roads my initial reaction is the bike is a GREAT highway ride, smooth and no vibration in the handle bars or saddle.  Love the ride and the bike handles great.  Still need a little more time to work on the vibration in the lower rpms but the bike is a keeper.   :bananarock:

Thanks everyone for their input and suggestion.

Mike

63SSRagtop

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 02:52:18 PM »

That great Mike, glad to see it wasn't something costly..

I think you may still have the actuating rod from your forwards sliding next to or resting on the frame..  you can mess with the articulation some and do some adjusting to make sure it clears it completely and you'll probably lose that vib as well.. Way to go!

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 21 queries.