Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: FXR3 Exhaust options?  (Read 11046 times)

63SSRagtop

• Junior CVO Member
FXR3 Exhaust options?
« on: May 12, 2010, 07:04:26 AM »

Hooker has some fantastic prices ($100) on ebay for some of their pipes, they list this type specifically for the FXR but would interfere with the sportster bags going on, (i don't much care for the look myself)...

But they have some straight slash cuts listed for early Dyna's that i'd like to pick up, these pipes should work wouldn't they?? thanks!

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
Re: FXR3 Exhaust options?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 04:14:10 PM »

Man those first one's would put a burn on a passenger's leg as well......although it looks like you wouldn't run these with a passenger anyway....as I don't see any rear pegs on the bike.

63ssragtop.....great post thanks for keeping us all informed.....

As for me I am still looking for a "screamin" deal on a set of Supertrapp 2-1 layin new as "NOS" New Old Stock in someone's shop or garage.....lol oh where oh where could they beeeeeeeee 

:pepper:

Regards,

Tim

63SSRagtop

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 03:24:48 AM »

I've been lurking for a set of those as well, i like the slash cuts for a hundred bones and would like to pull my stockers and put them in plastic in the attic..  I tried some vance  & hines shorts for about 1 hour and took them off, didn't like the sound and my neighbors really didnt like em at 5 in the a.m..  :oops:

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 08:20:36 AM »

I've been looking at, and considering Cobra slash cut for my FXR4 ......... they are more than $100 .... by about a4 or 5 times .... but I do like the looks of them
2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
The Build -
•   SE Heads w/Cometic .030 gaskets
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
•   Compu-Fire Single Fire Ignition
•   Rivera taper-lite chromolly adjustable push rods
•   Chrome lifter blocks w/HD B lifters
•   Pro-Force One AC and breather kit
•   Vance and Hines straight shots

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 08:22:14 AM »

Man those first one's would put a burn on a passenger's leg as well......although it looks like you wouldn't run these with a passenger anyway....as I don't see any rear pegs on the bike.

63ssragtop.....great post thanks for keeping us all informed.....

As for me I am still looking for a "screamin" deal on a set of Supertrapp 2-1 layin new as "NOS" New Old Stock in someone's shop or garage.....lol oh where oh where could they beeeeeeeee 

I can't seem to get my mind around the image of a 2-1 on my bike, I'm stuck on the image 2-2

Regards,

Tim
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 10:07:02 AM »

The SuperTrapp 2-1 SuperMeg comes in a "BLACK VERSION" now.....

CLICK HERE

CLICK HERE

CLICK HERE

To:      FXR2Evo99

Subject: RE: Thursday, September 4th, 2008

Date: Thursday, September 04, 2008 8:16:24 AM

The FXR (84-94) system uses the same head pipe (part # 050-7348) as the DYNA 91-05 (head pipe # 050-7348) in the stainless steel systems.  We do have the SuperMeg system in chrome that fits the 91-05 DYNAS.

2:1 HD FXST/FLST 90-06,DYNA '91-05,CHR.
 828-71454
 $676.00

PLEASE SEE THE ABOVE IN GREEN. Part # 828-71454 ($645.00) IS THE CHROME SYSTEM THAT FITS THE 91-05 DYNAS. IT COMES WITH THE SUPERMEG MEGAPHONE AND THE MOUNTING BRACKET FOR THE DYNA.  I CAN SELL YOU A MOUNTING BRACKET FROM THE STAINLESS STEEL FXR SYSTEM BUT NO GUARANTEE THAT IT WILL WORK. YOU PROBABLY WILL HAVE TO HAVE ONE MADE.

YES, THE FXR MOUNTING BRACKET FOR THE SYSTEM THAT ALSO WORKS ON THE DYNA IS PART # 029-7356, THIS SYSTEM IS CALLED A LOW EXIT SYSTEM.  THE HIGH EXIT SYSTEM BRACKET FOR THE FXR IS 029-7354; I WOULD GUESS THAT YOU WILL NEED THE LOW EXIT BRACKET TO GO WITH THE SUPERMEG SYSTEM 828-71454. PART # 029-7356 IS $89.00.

Regards,

Tim

[NOTE: Please remember that putting your curser next to the paper clip icon below the photo will allow you to enlarge the photo plus save it to your computer if you desire OR if you merely wish to see it enlarged simply put your curser on the photo and "LEFT" click and it will enlarge]

HERE IS AN EXAMPLE OF THE BLACK VERSION:
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 10:10:38 AM by FXR2evo99 »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 10:13:38 AM »

I can't seem to get my mind around the image of a 2-1 on my bike, I'm stuck on the image 2-2

Mikey.....they say the mind is the second to go.....don't worry however we are here to help you......think of it this way Mikey......THIS IS HOW WE ROLL!!!!!

But remember Mikey......you carry a chicken on the back.....and this is confusing to a lot of people as well.....LOL

Regards,

Tim

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 10:29:16 AM »

The SuperTrapp 2-1 SuperMeg comes in a "BLACK VERSION" now.....

CLICK HERE

CLICK HERE

CLICK HERE

To:      FXR2Evo99

Subject: RE: Thursday, September 4th, 2008

Date: Thursday, September 04, 2008 8:16:24 AM

The FXR (84-94) system uses the same head pipe (part # 050-7348) as the DYNA 91-05 (head pipe # 050-7348) in the stainless steel systems.  We do have the SuperMeg system in chrome that fits the 91-05 DYNAS.

2:1 HD FXST/FLST 90-06,DYNA '91-05,CHR.
 828-71454
 $676.00

PLEASE SEE THE ABOVE IN GREEN. Part # 828-71454 ($645.00) IS THE CHROME SYSTEM THAT FITS THE 91-05 DYNAS. IT COMES WITH THE SUPERMEG MEGAPHONE AND THE MOUNTING BRACKET FOR THE DYNA.  I CAN SELL YOU A MOUNTING BRACKET FROM THE STAINLESS STEEL FXR SYSTEM BUT NO GUARANTEE THAT IT WILL WORK. YOU PROBABLY WILL HAVE TO HAVE ONE MADE.

YES, THE FXR MOUNTING BRACKET FOR THE SYSTEM THAT ALSO WORKS ON THE DYNA IS PART # 029-7356, THIS SYSTEM IS CALLED A LOW EXIT SYSTEM.  THE HIGH EXIT SYSTEM BRACKET FOR THE FXR IS 029-7354; I WOULD GUESS THAT YOU WILL NEED THE LOW EXIT BRACKET TO GO WITH THE SUPERMEG SYSTEM 828-71454. PART # 029-7356 IS $89.00.

Regards,

Tim

[NOTE: Please remember that putting your curser next to the paper clip icon below the photo will allow you to enlarge the photo plus save it to your computer if you desire OR if you merely wish to see it enlarged simply put your curser on the photo and "LEFT" click and it will enlarge]

HERE IS AN EXAMPLE OF THE BLACK VERSION:

now that pipe looks GREAT on that bike ........ but how would it look on my Candy Tangerine 4  ???

anyone know what this pipe sounds like on the CVO FXR's   ??

anyone have one on their CVO FXR  ??
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 10:30:52 AM »

Mikey.....they say the mind is the second to go.....

are you sure ?
  :o

don't worry however we are here to help you......think of it this way Mikey......THIS IS HOW WE ROLL!!!!!

HAHAHAHHAAAAAA

But remember Mikey......you carry a chicken on the back.....and this is confusing to a lot of people as well.....LOL

really ??     LMAO  !!!!

Regards,

Tim

The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

JamesButler

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 11:01:40 AM »

Mikey-
If I use the Supertrapp 2:1 exhaust, does that exclude me from using saddlebags? Also, how do they compare against Thunderheaders 2:1, or other 2:1 systems?  Thus, my ultimate question is what is the best performance 2:1 ehaust system that allows you to use saddlebags for the FXR3?

63SSRagtop

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2010, 06:48:44 AM »

You'll find that pipes aren't as big of an issue as getting bags for the FXR's.. they made a convertible bag but they are very very hard to find in good shape and when you do they'll go for big bucks..  (i'm retrofitting some sportster hard bags to my bike).. on pipes though, basic rule is more torque out of the 2 into 1's over straight pipes..

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 07:27:23 PM »

Mikey-
If I use the Supertrapp 2:1 exhaust, does that exclude me from using saddlebags? Also, how do they compare against Thunderheaders 2:1, or other 2:1 systems?  Thus, my ultimate question is what is the best performance 2:1 ehaust system that allows you to use saddlebags for the FXR3?

JamesButler~

Of course I am not a "card carrying" member of the Chicken Family Like Mikey..... :bananarock:

buttttttttttttt my opinion of the "best" exhaust for our FXR's whether they are 2's, 3's, or 4's or whether they are the 84-94 models of FXR's would be a good 2-1 exhaust.  Now as for which make or model.......very debatable of course, currently I have been running the Vance & Hines Pro Pipe 2-1 Exhaust, and while it's a very nice performing pipe, my ears get "tired" of listening to the "rumble" even with ear plugs......but I do wear a "full face" helmet which only probably exacerbates the issue because of the "reverberation" caused by the helmet shell.  I have 3 years experience of running a SuperTrap Supermeg 2-1 exhaust on my 2002 Road King Classic which performs just as well as the Vance & Hines Pro Pipe 2-1 and has the ability to be "tuned" to a more quieter sound via running the pipe with the discs in connection with "closed end" cap.  Thus my "opinion" would be a "vote" for the 2-1 SuperTrapp Super Meg pipe for an FXR!.

It should not "EXCLUDE" you from using bags although you should realize that the SuperTrapp SuperMeg 2-1 pipe does come in two different "styles" one of which is "lower" the other of which is "higher" so you will need to acquire the "lower" version to have enough clearance for the "bags".

Regards,

Tim

« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 07:29:51 PM by FXR2evo99 »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2010, 07:31:03 PM »

You'll find that pipes aren't as big of an issue as getting bags for the FXR's.. they made a convertible bag but they are very very hard to find in good shape and when you do they'll go for big bucks..  (i'm retrofitting some sportster hard bags to my bike).. on pipes though, basic rule is more torque out of the 2 into 1's over straight pipes..

I have to agree with 63SSRagtop reflections above, here is a link to a couple of photos that will give you a view of what the difficult hard to find leather bags that came on the FXR Convertible look like:

CLICK HERE

These bags are indeed difficult to locate, you may not even like the "style" of them to begin with, but they are the "orginal" OEM bags that were put on the OLDER STYLED Convertible FXR's so there is some "element" of "nostalgia" which in part played a "roll" in my decision to locate a set of them to put on my FXR2 as you will note in the above THREAD discussing the installation of them. As 63SSRagtop offered there are of course other options for different "styled" bags which simply require a bit of "ingenuity" as far as installation purposes go....

Regards,

Tim

91FXR

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2010, 06:59:35 PM »

Not crazy about the looks but alot of info on 2 into 1's   
http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/lsr21.htm#tits   

63SSRagtop

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2010, 10:47:32 PM »

Well i guess its fitting, the FXR sidetracked me from getting the Nova done, now the Nova is now sidetracking me from getting the bag bracket configured (minitub and new rearend setup).. sheesh!  I need more time in the day!

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2010, 09:40:29 AM »

Mikey-
If I use the Supertrapp 2:1 exhaust, does that exclude me from using saddlebags? Also, how do they compare against Thunderheaders 2:1, or other 2:1 systems?  Thus, my ultimate question is what is the best performance 2:1 ehaust system that allows you to use saddlebags for the FXR3?

James,
I really don't know the answers to your questions.

I decided, that instead of changing exhaust, that I'd just put in the V&H quiet baffles in mine.  They required a minor modification in order to get a real good fit, but the job was easy, fast, and the results are GREAT !!!

Thanks to Mike Redfxr2  for the tips and directions and paving the way with the mods and the quiet baffels  !!
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2010, 09:48:15 AM »

did you get a new exhaust yet ??
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

63SSRagtop

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2010, 11:50:19 PM »

I got sidetracked messing around with the Nova.. Hooker had also jacked the prices up again on the auction, they recently dropped back down to $99 bones for the pipes and $70 for shipping here to washington.. Went ahead and picked up these guys.. Phat performance lists the same pipes for $564+ shipping, so 100 bones is a good price!

Will post a pic once i get them on..

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2010, 10:57:25 PM »

I'll be looking forward to the pictures ... GREAT PRICE !!
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

63SSRagtop

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2010, 02:26:53 AM »

Here's a set on a sportster, i may have to weld a washer or two in for some back pressure.. won't know till i get em on though..

« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 02:50:43 AM by 63SSRagtop »

63SSRagtop

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2010, 12:11:48 AM »

Wow, didn't expect the port sizes at the head to be so much different.. I gotta fab up a rear bracket though, be doing that in the a.m... May explain why alot of the sportsters didnt sound to bad with these pipes.. it goes down about 5 inches and steps out, then one more time at the end of the pipes..  These pipes are
big!

« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 01:38:12 AM by 63SSRagtop »

63SSRagtop

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2010, 06:13:59 PM »

Holy crap this took longer than i thought it would but i'm kinda a perfectionist.. Finally got the pipes on, had to fab up both the rear bracket and the front bracket but after 10,000 put on, take off, put on, take off.. finally got it right.. I do have to shave some of the shiedling near the oil tank, 1/8" is not enough clearance apparently...  The video was taken by my iphone, its not nearly as accurate of a sound..  These guys are very throaty on acceleration but on the highway they flatten out to a nice low hum.. no noticeable loss in power, all in all i like em!

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2010, 12:18:56 PM »

very interesting !!

Nice job getting them to fit !!
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

neanderpaul

• Full CVO Member
  • Green Bikes = Bad Luck? Give 'Em All To Me!
    • AZ

• CVO1: FXR3
    • Neanderpaul Dot Com
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2010, 10:16:08 AM »

As I just had a shop here in Phoenix (My new home thank you!) drop about 6 welds on my rear header pipe, it's about time I look for new pipes. I am hoping the V&H Straight Shots they make now, will still fit the sled.

Otherwise...I'm lookin' for a new brand.
'99 FXR3
'05 15th Ann. LE Fat Boy
'19 RAM Rebel

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2010, 10:35:58 AM »

:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

63SSRagtop

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2010, 04:26:16 AM »

I'd tried some shortshots on my evo about a year ago, they were off the bike by sundown.. didn't care for the sound much, maybe playing around with the baffles some would have worked but they seemed really 'tinny'..

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2010, 08:18:35 AM »

ive got big shots on a 113" S&S and they sound great  :nixweiss:
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

63SSRagtop

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2010, 08:32:06 AM »

Yeah having the extra 33 cubes would make a huge difference in the sound...

lucille

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2010, 12:07:46 AM »

ive got big shots on a 113" S&S and they sound great  :nixweiss:

My FXRs - 113" S&S with RBRacing .... 2", B style, slash cut......good pipe, much torque.
........... - 80" with modified 2 into 2.....also good pipes, many dyno runs to get these ones right.

'92 FXRS Lowrider.....
'91 FXRT.....113 S&S...6 speed
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 21 queries.