Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Harley to discontinue the Screamin Eagle Exhaust  (Read 17480 times)

BadAss2

• Senior CVO Member
  • 14 years and still got her
Harley to discontinue the Screamin Eagle Exhaust
« on: February 11, 2006, 01:56:47 PM »

Was at the local Harley dealer yesterday and was told that at their last dealer meeting 2 weeks ago, that Harley announced due to the EPA regulations restricting engine modifications, that Harley will discontinue the Screamin Eagle exhaust product line. Can anyone confirm this?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2006, 02:08:38 PM by Bad_Ass_2 »
FLHTCSE2 Candy Cherry
6 speed tranny,regeared primary and secondary,
SE slip on pipes, K&M Kit, remap ECM
Chrome - inner primary, starter, front calipers, thunderstar sprocket, headlamp and signal light trim, all chrome bolt kits
L

Trippin

• 2004 FLHRSEI Screamin' Eagle
Re: Harley to discontinue the Screamin Eagle Exhau
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2006, 02:29:23 PM »

hello my name is trippin
« Last Edit: February 11, 2006, 02:49:31 PM by Trippin »

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2006, 02:53:07 PM »

The general manager of San Diego H-D told me the same thing two weeks ago.He said a bunch dealers are putting in large orders for the SE Exhausts and stockpiling them. He also said he wouldn't be ordering any more than what his customers wanted.  

Big B

fatboyse2

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2006, 09:42:48 AM »

The situation with G-man narrowing more and more our ability to differentiate our rides and express our individuality is just incredible.  Read http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1136645133
it covers where the EPA is heading and how truely helpful the moco is being in giving them everything they want.  If HD stops selling SE pipes, then SE other performance parts are definately next. A lot of inovation from smaller companies will be lost since they cannot keep up with the cost and complexity that epa "approved" drive train parts will require.  We'll have a ten year gap (remember the late 70s and 80s for cars) before new "approved" technology truely emerges into the motorcycle parts availability list.  This just pisses me off >:(

BobD

• Senior CVO Member
  • '06 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2006, 10:59:13 AM »

We all need to keep in mind these regs have been in place for the auto industry for a long time - even before the Clean Air Act of 1979 that's got our industry in its cross hairs now. Yeah, the MoCo probably won't be in the aftermarket exhaust business any longer. Will it keep others out or prevent us from installing our signature systems? Probably not. It sure hasn't in the auto business where engine, exhaust and driveline alterations are commonplace. The EPA out of practicality usually limits its enforcement to gross abuse cases. [smiley=stop.gif]
We will be remembered for all the rules we break.

HARLEYBILL

• Junior CVO Member
  • Vietnam Vet. 4th & 25th Infantry Divisions.
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2006, 12:56:04 PM »

I'm not suprised. Anyone who is a member of AMA and reads their members magazine probably was wondering how long it would be before Harley bit the bullet. Harley always had the disclaimer that these products were for "off road racing" and not designed by them for street use. Of course if one were to audit the repair orders of any dealer usually 100% of the installs were made on registered/plated bikes. A issue could be made about this even though in theory the dealer is a independent contractor. It's kind of like Harley is distributing the dope and the dealers are selling it.
Too much at stake for them to continue the promotion of noise.
Take a look at high performance automobiles today that can rip the 0-60 times under 5 seconds and still meet all govt noise standards. They had to adapt and now the crosshairs are on us.
I,for one,am in favor of throaty,powerful sound ,but the obnoxious loud pipes aren't going to cut it. Most cycle magazines that feature custom bikes preach at the altar for more subdued sound but feature the custom bikes with straight pipes!
It' [smiley=nixweiss.gif] [smiley=jalapeno.gif]s coming.....................................................................
2009 FLTR
H/D Tuner,V/H Monster Ovals
That's all you need brother!

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2006, 02:36:50 PM »

Don't throw away your OEM take off pipes. I fear the day is fast approaching when we'll need them.  [smiley=thumbdown.gif] [smiley=nervous.gif] [smiley=drink.gif]

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2006, 02:51:21 PM »

Don't throw away your OEM take off pipes. I fear the day is fast approaching when we'll need them.
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2006, 03:47:32 PM »

I imagine that is why we don't see a factory bike with a 120"or a 124" since it would be hard to meet EPA regulations.
I agree that H-D can and will meet EPA regulations and still offer performance but I bet it will come at a price. Mainly an engine rediesign such as a V-rod type configuration for the softails and touring bikes.
Our Air-cooled v-twin may be on it's last legs if the government has it's way. >:(
I know if H-D develops a large V-rod type engine it could out-perform what we have now but it won't be the same. Those of you old enough to remember the muscle car era will always remember the sound of a loping big block.The newer cars can out-perform those old cars but they don't have the soul.
Just like the article in Cycle World magazine, the Goldwing out-performs the Harley in speed and power but how many of us will trade for one? ;D

mhjimh

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2006, 04:12:06 PM »

They'll have to pry my RINEHART's out of my cold, dead hands!   There endeth the lesson.  Later--HUBBART
(YA!!!!) WHAT HE SAID!!!!!!!
MOTORHEAD JIM

fatboyse2

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2006, 04:59:20 PM »

[highlight]I imagine that is why we don't see a factory bike with a 120"or a 124" since it would be hard to meet EPA regulations.[/highlight]
I agree that H-D can and will meet EPA regulations and still offer performance but I bet it will come at a price. Mainly an engine rediesign such as a V-rod type configuration for the softails and touring bikes.
Our Air-cooled v-twin may be on it's last legs if the government has it's way. >:(
I know if H-D develops a large V-rod type engine it could out-perform what we have now but it won't be the same. Those of you old enough to remember the muscle car era will always remember the sound of a loping big block.The newer cars can out-perform those old cars but they don't have the soul.
Just like the article in Cycle World magazine, the Goldwing out-performs the Harley in speed and power but how many of us will trade for one? ;D

I'm not sure that's the case.  The number of cubes is not the issue, control of the emissions are what's important.  They are fitting the newer bikes with catalysts in the pipes (that's why they weight damn near 4 times the thunderheaders I replaced them with).  Remember the EGR value they put on your old 1976+ car that caused an immediate 40% reduction in performance and a pass on the emissions test...  I would expect they will also shift away from the air cooled bikes we love and towards the liquid cooled vrod style engine as they have more control over the emissions on them.

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2006, 11:22:58 PM »

[highlight]They'll have to pry my RINEHART's out of my cold, dead hands!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2006, 11:23:27 PM by CVOJOE »
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

The Mysterious Q!

• Keep the shiny side up and ride it like you stole it.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • This town needs an enema!
    • CT
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2006, 07:58:00 AM »

So does this mean that the full SE exhaust I took of my scoot will be a collectors item and I can get good money for them on EBAY? Just wondering. Later,Q
When I grow up I want to be a SEEG 2002 FLHRSEI Rineharts Wild1 Apes Beaucoup Chrome Corbin Seat Wimmer Billet Breather and Spike Filter Beautiful Billet Power Commander PCIII USB LED Skull Horn Cover Skull everything Lyndall Z Pads Xtreme Machine Shredder 18's Metzeler ME 880's Xtra Lights HID

Screamin_Beagle

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2006, 10:20:45 AM »

Daddy,
    Keep the freakin thing.  The day is most certainly coming when they will be making us smog our bikes.  An  furthermore,  the new EPA regulations are going to get tighter,  so the MoCo will be forced into a liquid cooled engine (better control over engine temp, emmissions etc.)  It is certainly going to be a sad day when the american V-Twin dies)...and don't kid yourself....the day is coming :'( :'(

Now,  on the up side.  Bikes that were bought before the new EPA regs will be grandfathered to the emmission standards for when the bike was manufactured,  so as long as you keep your old pipes and breather you may be able to squeek under.......(as long as you haven't gone nuts with heads and cams)........IMHO

_Beagle
What ever it is that somebody did that you didn't want done.....................I either did it or had something to do with it!!!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2006, 10:48:29 AM »

The big crunch for motorcycle emissions is 2008 for California, and 2010 for the rest of the country.  That's when the next reduction is scheduled, and air cooled V-twins are not expected to come close.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 21 queries.