Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Harley to discontinue the Screamin Eagle Exhaust  (Read 17550 times)

RedFXR2

Re: Harley to discontinue the Screamin Eagle Exhau
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2006, 06:54:44 PM »

I for one am concerned that the epa is going to make everything on the road look and sound like a honda.

I think the EPA is only concerned with emissions.  But the MoCo (and many of us) is already talking about noise reduction as well.  Check this thread:

http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1140050912

It's going to be a different Harley world in a few years.

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Be Still and Know that I AM God
    • TN

• CVO1: 2012 ULTRA FLHTCUSE7
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG FLHTCSE2
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG FLTRSEI
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2006, 07:21:06 PM »

I think EPA stands for E _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ P_ _ _ _ _ _ _ A_ _ _ _ _ _ _ !  :o I'll let you fill in the blanks. If I was to loose my faith I believe this is one of the first places I would go Postal! [smiley=rifle.gif] [smiley=rifle.gif] [smiley=rifle.gif] [smiley=rifle.gif] [smiley=rifle.gif] [smiley=rifle.gif] [smiley=rifle.gif]  [smiley=oops.gif] We have anyone here that works at the post office??? [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

[smiley=banana.gif]

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2006, 08:01:01 PM »

Interesting thread w/ a broad based series of replies. My 2 cents.
The EPA has won, we just don't know or accept it yet. Emssions, they won hands down w/ only a few objections from the motorcycle community. AMA, ABATE, MRF all fought and that battle's over. Best I can tell is that the only victory in the whole thing was the incremental implementation. Many many many motorcyclists failed to raise their voices and the battle's over. Just a matter of time 'til they're pulling pipes or not issuing tags or whatever form of enforcement they pick. Don't say it can't happen. It's happening now in Ohio and it's going to get worse. Noise thing is very close behind. There are several groups/sites that are only dedicated to the reduction of noise. Yep, we're in their crosshairs. Yep, they're funded. 'Tis only a matter of time. Yep the EPA does consider noise and will soon, My Prediction, be on us like white on rice. Heck, even the AMA' and now we know where Harley stands' aren't going to fight the noise fight.

Those that challenge the industry to step up and meet the challenge just like the car industry did; I applaud you and agree. I hope they do. Harley's doing it w/ the Vrods. The japs, well hell, they're already water cooled. Don't know too much about the two strokes but seems they're on the way out as well. Aren't the dirt bike races now allowing the four strokers in at higher displacement just so that the fours can be further developed? By the way, I just can't find where anyone is really thinking that the air cooled will last. I hope I'm wrong.

It's really interesting to see the lies and mis-information that's promulgated on these issues. To compare a motorcycle to a SUV is an insult. The fact that I pollute the air more than a pick-up has really no meaning when there is gazillions of them and several of us. Motorcycles make up such a small percentage of vehicles that it's just stupid to make these statements. Same kinda BS stats that are often thrown out to justify helmet laws, etc. Figures don't lie but liars figure.

So I guess for me, I'll ride what I can as long as I can. I'll dig being ITW and still consider myself blessed for having discovered this passion. But, I'll be just that much more cynical about how things in the good ole' USA are going. I'll keep fighting the fight. I'll hope for motorcyclists to leave their comfort zone and "raise a little hell". And I sure as hell ain't gonna throw away my stock pipes.

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2006, 08:53:30 PM »

Again, I think some uf you are Pole Vaulting over Ant Hills!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2006, 09:03:07 PM by HUBBARD »
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2006, 09:41:55 PM »

2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2006, 10:08:28 PM »

[highlight]I think the EPA is only concerned with emissions[/highlight].
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

RedFXR2

« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2006, 10:38:04 PM »

Actually, noise is also considered to be environmental pollution, and falls within the purview of the Environmental Protection Agency.

BobD

• Senior CVO Member
  • '06 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2006, 10:30:55 AM »

The EPA is charged with bringing conformity and compliance across all vehicle manufactures whether they build motor boats, farm tractors, pickup trucks or motorcycles. Your legislators have charged them with this responsibility by legislation they created on our behalf. If we don't like it, we need to address it with our representatives and at the polls.
I'd also ask everyone to think back to the early days of catalytic converters on cars and trucks. The rumors on the street had us all in fear we'd never be able to trade or sell a vehicle without a functioning catalytic converter. Well, I've traded in several without the device over the years and never suffered loss of value or faced a fine. Motorcycles will be no different. Now the wise guy running straight pipes and raisin' hell on the streets will still face a noise ordnance citation but that's no different than it is today.
  8-)
We will be remembered for all the rules we break.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2006, 11:50:51 AM »

It was said earlier here, the guys with the trouble will be the ones that need to get an emissions sticker to renew license plates in the states that require it.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2006, 11:52:38 AM by Rjob749 »
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 21 queries.