Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tire question, looking for some input  (Read 998 times)

Wanna ride

Tire question, looking for some input
« on: May 23, 2010, 02:13:54 PM »

I have an '08 FLHX, and I'm just about ready to perform my 15k service. Some of you may not beilieve this and some may... I still have my stock rear tire on, but it's ready to be replaced. I put an 18' wheel and tire on the front about 7k miles ago, and went with an Avon. I wanted a Metzeler, but my size was out of stock for longer than I wanted to wait. I've heard stories about Avons, but mine is holding up nicely. I've ALWAYS taken good care of all my bikes, trucks and cars, and do all the work myself. Needless to say, I also take good care of their tires too. NEVER do burnouts, always check the pressure, etc.

Now my question is... I want a decent replacement, but I want the best price too. Where do I look? What have you guys had good luck with? Do I stay with the stock tire or look into another brand? Give me all the info you got.

I know there's a lot of threads about this, but the tire industry experiences new technology and a lot of changes often and rapidly.

Thanks in advance!

aka_Matt

• Junior CVO Member
Re: Tire question, looking for some input
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 04:44:26 PM »

y not get the matching avon u have on the front? as for buying, theres plenty of places online, just shop around for the best price... also, think about who's gonna mount it... most stores will charge u double to mount a tire u didn't buy from them, so it would pay to buy from them, even tho its more than the online price, its less after its all done...
2004 XL1200C: Blue/Flames, Chrome Everything, 2-1 Rinehart, Mid-Controls, 17" Deuce Wheel, And More... For Sale

Wanna ride

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 08:16:07 PM »

I'm not necessarily opposed to getting an Avon, just researching before I buy. There's a local shop just five minutes away that does great work, they charge $25 to mount and balance a tire/wheel that you bring in.  They sell tires too, but don't mind if you bring in your own stuff.
Thanks for your help!

Wanna ride

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 02:50:16 PM »

Just an fyi for everyone...
I called a couple different HD dealerships, they were all in the $170 range for a replacement. Plus about another $100 for fees, and m&B, blah, blah...
Found several dealers online for $137-$169 with free shipping. But, www.jakewilson.com had the best price at $110 and free shipping. Just thought I'd share this with everyone.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 03:34:03 PM »

Just an fyi for everyone...
I called a couple different HD dealerships, they were all in the $170 range for a replacement. Plus about another $100 for fees, and m&B, blah, blah...
Found several dealers online for $137-$169 with free shipping. But, www.jakewilson.com had the best price at $110 and free shipping. Just thought I'd share this with everyone.

Call indie shops.  One here locally will mount and balance a pair for $50.  That's still not exceptionally cheap given the time it takes him.  But it's about half what the dealer wants.

jeffj

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Teach a man to swim, but not while he's drowning"

• CVO1: 2004 Orange Pearl and Jet Black FLHTCSE & 2002 Candy/Brandywine FLHRSEI
    • CVO2: 2006 Autumn Haze FLHTCUSE Sold - 11-11-12 Bought another 2006 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2003 Gold FLHRSEI2 Sold CVO4: 2002 Purple FLHRSEI Crashed
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 04:07:59 PM »

FYI - make sure you get a recent manufactured date code....last 4 of the serial #

IE:    4209 = 42 week of 2009

some motorcycle distributors/shops have some dated tires that they are willing to "wheel and deal on"

jeffj

Wanna ride

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 04:27:13 PM »

Call indie shops.  One here locally will mount and balance a pair for $50.  That's still not exceptionally cheap given the time it takes him.  But it's about half what the dealer wants.

I'm not necessarily opposed to getting an Avon, just researching before I buy. There's a local shop just five minutes away that does great work, they charge $25 to mount and balance a tire/wheel that you bring in.  They sell tires too, but don't mind if you bring in your own stuff.
Thanks for your help!

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 21 queries.