Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: GPS Mount from 2010 Limited CVO Ultra install  (Read 19734 times)

Chicago-Spike

• Full CVO Member
Re: GPS Mount from 2010 Limited CVO Ultra install
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2010, 12:17:35 PM »

Even if those things are solid, I just wonder if the jerk will just grab the whole thing and rip it off the dash, making it all a much bigger loss. When you add in the thing is butt ugly, I'm thinking I'll just stick with removing the Zumo, and not tempting fate. I dunno?
I should get that locking clamp tomorrow now, and I am with you on it being big. The other thing I will not do is leave the Zumo in the mount even if I go in somewhere for lunch, the GPS is coming off the mount and into the trunk, out of sight type of security. Main reason I got that Touratech locking clamp is just for a safety net to keep the unit on the bike and not bounch off ;)
AMA Life Member
2009 CVO Ultra in Twilight Blue & Silver

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2010, 12:43:29 PM »

The added security on the road is sure nice, but I wonder if you'll be able to put up with the looks?
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

Chicago-Spike

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2010, 12:58:33 PM »

It will only be on the bike when I am on the road on a trip. Once I get home, it will come off as I rarely use the GPS when I am home.
AMA Life Member

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2010, 02:57:51 PM »

Gotcha - Sounds like a good plan!

Chicago-Spike

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2010, 10:11:26 PM »

Yep, the Touratech mount/cage works just fine. It's big but closes so as to not be so big. It's also light so no worries on added stress for the mount. It not only locks the unit into the mount, it has a little screw that fits behind the mount release button so you can't reach into the mount with a screwdriver, press the release and get it out.

Unit in mount with the Touratech cage open;

Cage closed and locked;

AMA Life Member

CVORick

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2010, 08:37:24 AM »

Great shots, Spike.  Thanks.  Now for my order of the parts.
TTS Mastertune - Doc's Performance Tuning
Supertrapp 2:1 Supermeg
HD Bluetooth BOMM
Zumo 590LM with TPMS
Motolights with LEDs'
Progressive 440HD Shocks & Monotube Fork cartridges
LED Headlight & Driving Lights from HD

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2010, 10:16:38 AM »

Hmm, that don't look so bad!   I thought most of the other pics I saw made it look like a monster.  It's actually pretty invisbile once closed. Is it pretty solid?

Is there a certain PN# you went with, and where did you find the best price? Might have to look into this too!

Thanks man!

Chicago-Spike

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2010, 10:33:22 AM »

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/1735/PN-065-0521/TOURATECH_Zumo_660_665_handlebar_mount_BLACK_LOCKING

This is the place to get it, direct from them. It does look huge in their pictures, but once it is mounted and the GPS unit is in it, you don't see it as much as the GPS is in front of it.
AMA Life Member

Opossum

• Blue is Faster
  • Senior CVO Member
  • “Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
    • TX

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Ultra Limited Jupiter Blue and Wicked Sapphire
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2010, 11:43:03 AM »

Spike,
I I spent the nite doin battle with my dash mount etc., and I thought... I decided not to use the Touratec mount because there's no way to use the locknuts on the back of the dash mount, do ya think it's a good hold with out 'em?  I went back and forth and finally put it back in the box...still on the fence though.   BTW  The cable for the Zumo 665 has a junction (for lack of a better term) hard rubber that the main cable goes in and the audio,XM, power etc splits outta the other side (this I found out AFTER I drilled the big hole on top of the inner fairing) that measures about 1-1/2" X 1/2" so the the hole on the top flange of the inner fairing I had to drill two 1/2" holes and file out an opening big enough for the dang thing to squeeze thru...PITA!!!!   I had left my camera at the office so no pics.  All things considered a worthwhile endeavor.
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"

Chicago-Spike

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2010, 12:42:36 PM »

There are no locknuts on my Tourtech mount? You did remove the handlebar mount off the back of the Touratech cage, right?

When you get the TT cage, it comes with a handlebar mount already on the back of it. You must remove that mount(not the 2 small clamps, but what those clamps are attached to ) and then you put the TT cage on the dash mount base, add the black spacers and the spacer plate, then the Zumo cradle goes ontop of it all.

AMA Life Member

Opossum

• Blue is Faster
  • Senior CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2010, 01:00:08 PM »

Right O' but the 4 screws that go thru the Zumo cradle.  On my other three Zumo installations I ALWAYS used the locknuts (provided) to secure the cradle to the Ram Mount.  It's impossible on this rig because of the two bracket retaining screws that latch the dash mount to the back retaining bracket are behind the cradle.  Know what I mean?
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"

Chicago-Spike

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2010, 01:25:10 PM »

Still not following.....the dash Harley dash mount(the plastic piece ) has nuts inbedded for the screws to screw into. No locknuts needed, use the 4 long screws with the TT cage as they are the same size and pitch as the nuts in the Harley plastic. maybe put a dab of blue locktite on them to keep them in, but I don't and they haven't backed out.
AMA Life Member

Opossum

• Blue is Faster
  • Senior CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2010, 01:39:06 PM »

We're on the same page, I just always used the locknuts  even though the bolts screw into the threaded base.  Probably stayed up too late last nite.

Chicago-Spike

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2010, 02:37:37 PM »

OK, just wanting to be sure. It's hard to get some things across or understand, when typing on a keyboard  8)
AMA Life Member

Opossum

• Blue is Faster
  • Senior CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2010, 12:16:56 AM »

Still not following.....the dash Harley dash mount(the plastic piece ) has nuts embedded for the screws to screw into. No locknuts needed, use the 4 long screws with the TT cage as they are the same size and pitch as the nuts in the Harley plastic. maybe put a dab of blue locktite on them to keep them in, but I don't and they haven't backed out.
Don't do it!!!  I had done that yesterday because I didn't trust the mount w/o the locknuts...well tonight I decided to go ahead and install the Touratec mount after all,  well I got two of the four bolts out and the other two the brass ferrules broke loose from the plastic and the bolts just spin!...so the cradle is stuck on the dash mount with two of four holding it on...tried everything I could think of  might have to drill the to get the cradle off the dash mount even tried to screw everything back down and forget the TT mount but the two just spin away...gonna take a shot at it (or shoot it) tommorrow.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 21 queries.