Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: GPS Mount from 2010 Limited CVO Ultra install  (Read 19733 times)

Chicago-Spike

• Full CVO Member
Re: GPS Mount from 2010 Limited CVO Ultra install
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2010, 09:14:04 AM »

Bummer, sorry you had that happen
AMA Life Member
2009 CVO Ultra in Twilight Blue & Silver

Opossum

• Blue is Faster
  • Senior CVO Member
  • “Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
    • TX

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Ultra Limited Jupiter Blue and Wicked Sapphire
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2010, 03:43:10 PM »

Whew!  Thank Goodness the Garmin motorcycle mount has foam rubber bushings in the cradle, pulled 'em right thru the holes, thought at first I dun broke it.  Ordered new dash mount bracket, in stock, here in 5-7 business days, so I guess I've got plenty of time to pretty things up...wire bundles etc.  BTW I've been usin' the Kenady mic/cell set and Cyclegadgets make a jumper for the new 660/665 that patches everything together, pretty seamless.
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"

dep47

• Full CVO Member
  • What a color
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2010, 06:36:36 PM »

I just mounted the 665 on the dash mount, and all went well, except you have to put a good size oblong hole in the dash to get the splitter in the wire harness through the hole, and I had to take and e-xacto knife and trim the corners off the splitter to get it through the hole precut in the padded dash board.  Just thought someone would want to know.hv

harpmr

• Junior CVO Member
  • 15 FLTRUSE

• CVO1: FLTRUSE
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2010, 03:55:19 PM »

On the Touratech locking mount, did you leave the back plate on with the rubber "shock absorbers" or just mount the front locking plate to the mount?

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2010, 11:16:58 AM »

I got mine installed last night. Due to the great guidance above, and from the other threads, it was a piece of cake. I think it took around an hour, and that was taking my time.  I think the most unnerving thing was continuously making the cable hole larger to fit that junction rubber piece.

I did notice that this thing really shakes around alot until you get over 2,000 rpm. More so than on the bar mount, from what I can recall. Seems weird because it doesn't look like the fairing moves around that much?  I just hope it doesn't rattle the thing to death! However, it turned out the gap between the HD mount and the dash was far enough I don't need that clear tape to protect the inner. I think it's a good 1/8", plenty of clearance.

Also, instead of paying the big bucks for the Tourtech, I read about adding a teather on the Zumo forums that looks like the hot ticket, at least until I work down some of the other mods on my mile long list:

http://www.zumoforums.com/index.php?topic=11772.0

Beyond this, I think it would be nicer if it was angled a little better towards you. Seems a little down and out. I think I will try to add a couple of washers on the back of the Garmin mount to shim it a little. I figure there are plenty of thread left on the mounting screws so if I put 4 washers on the lower left, and 2 washers on the top left, and 2 washers on the bottom right, that should move it a bit more in the right direction. Once I get it right, I can cover the gap with a thin bead of black silicon or something to pretty it up. 

Nice mod - thanks for blazing this trail guys! 
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

92fxsts

• Junior CVO Member
    • MD

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE...sold
    • CVO2: 2009 FLHTCUSE...sold
    • CVO3: 2015 FLHTKSE
« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2010, 08:25:21 PM »

OK, I have all the parts now, and am ready to start drilling.  Then I asked myself, what kind of bits should I use.  I only get one shot at this.  So, any recommendations from the experts?  Regular twist bits, glass bits, forstner wood bits?  Or just tape it up and go for it...

Opossum

• Blue is Faster
  • Senior CVO Member
  • “Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
    • TX

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Ultra Limited Jupiter Blue and Wicked Sapphire
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2010, 08:54:52 PM »

OK, I have all the parts now, and am ready to start drilling.  Then I asked myself, what kind of bits should I use.  I only get one shot at this.  So, any recommendations from the experts?  Regular twist bits, glass bits, forstner wood bits?  Or just tape it up and go for it...
The fairing is ABS plastic, the bits I used had points on 'em and I used that to start the hole before before the drillin, tape it up and let it rip.  If ya have torque setting I went towads lower end.  That's all I got.  Good Luck
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2010, 10:09:49 PM »

I wouldn't waste the money on new drills if you have a set. The mount through bolts need 1/8" and you'll be tight, so if you have fractionals, you can go a 1/32" over or just wobble the drill a bit to increase the diameter a bit. On the slot for the wiring, I used 3  bores of 1/4" then brought them together with a step bit, and smoothed it out. Worked pretty good. The ABS inner cut's like butter. Just make sure you tape the retainer the the back of the inner and take a marker and mark the holes well. Do the first one, double check things, then do the other. Take your time and you'll be fine. Piece of cake.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

Chicago-Spike

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2010, 05:16:22 PM »

A review of the new mount after a 3500 mile ride out to Denver and riding the Colorado Rockies;  :2vrolijk_21:

The mount was solid and more in my line of sight than the bar mount. The GPS head was stable and didn;t shake anymore than when on the bar, in fact it may shake a little less. It placed the GPS within easy reach even for a short guy using it. The locking Touratech cage was a sercure lock so I didn;t worry about the GPS unit falling out of the mount or when I left it on the bike when having a meal or getting fuel. I still did put my doo-rag over it as a second barrier, figured if they moved my sweat soaked rag and got a wrench on the GPS to get it off the bike, they would take it anyway.

All in all, it is worth it IMHO for looks and placement. I take the Touratech cage off it when I am home so it is just the small mount on it now.
AMA Life Member

ralford

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 Ultra Classic
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2011, 12:25:41 PM »

Love my Roadtech/Zumo 660 and have 10s of thousands of miles on it on other bikes.  New (to me) '10 SEUC has the HD NIM but I can barely read the radio most of the time so not encouraged to try it out!  Knew there was a way to mount to dash since it is the standard option for the new SEUCs ...  Finally found this thread !!!  Great.

About the order the parts (thanks for taking time to enumerate them!).  Plan on adding the Road Tech navigation interface (76000024) to couple everything into the audio system.  Are there any problems with this?

Thanks again for the valuable site and the effort members put into it to make it so useful!

Cheers,

Rusty

Chicago-Spike

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2011, 10:07:48 AM »

Love my Roadtech/Zumo 660 and have 10s of thousands of miles on it on other bikes.  New (to me) '10 SEUC has the HD NIM but I can barely read the radio most of the time so not encouraged to try it out!  Knew there was a way to mount to dash since it is the standard option for the new SEUCs ...  Finally found this thread !!!  Great.

About the order the parts (thanks for taking time to enumerate them!).  Plan on adding the Road Tech navigation interface (76000024) to couple everything into the audio system.  Are there any problems with this?

Thanks again for the valuable site and the effort members put into it to make it so useful!

Cheers,

Rusty
Wow, sorry about the delay.
As for that interface, I can't help there. I haven't looked into it because I am happy with the way it works on mine. I have loaded up some 1,000 songs on the 660 so I end up listening to the MP3 player in the GPS when it is plugged into the "AUX" port on the front of the Harley radio. So the GPS voice commands come over the radio just fine. The Bluetooth also works when the Harley radio is in "AUX" mode too, but only as a notifier. The screen on the GPS pops up that I have an incoming call and it displays the number or name liek "Home Calling" I have told my wife that if it is an emergency to call me once and let it ring 3 times and hang up. Then call right back again. If she does this I stop as soon as I can and call. If she only calls once, I call her when I stop for fuel.

I will never hook that up so I can make and take phone calls while riding.  ;)
AMA Life Member
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.578 seconds with 21 queries.