Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Anyone try lowering a SE Ultra?  (Read 3040 times)

wadeh

Anyone try lowering a SE Ultra?
« on: June 07, 2010, 01:05:54 AM »

My '09 SE Ultra rides terrific but seems super top heavy with even the slightest off camber maneuver (backing out of parking space, etc.). I'm 6'4" but the damn thing still seems top heavier than any of my other bikes. I don't want to screw with the ride, but thinking about 1" lower shocks on rear and lowering kit on front...anyone try this?

Gone Fishin'

• The Director
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE Limited®, Black Sparkle and 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Ultra Classic®, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate, # 110 of 992
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 Screamin' Eagle® Road King®, Black Ice, 1 of 1325
    • CVO3: 2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red and 2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine, 1 of 316
Re: Anyone try lowering a SE Ultra?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 05:00:08 AM »

I had the same problem with my '09 SEUC and used Progressive 11,5" in the back, with no other change. Worked quite well. Obviously there are many more expensive options.

Ride safely,
Louis
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 05:08:23 AM by Louis »

1914 10E, Grey
1956 FLH Custom, Candy Orange
1988 FXRS Custom, "S.O.A."
2000 FLSTF Custom Fat Boy, "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
2000 FXSTS Custom Springer Softail, Grey
2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine
2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red
2005 FLHTCSE2, -9/07
2007 FLHRSE3, Black Ice
2008 FLHTCUSE3, -7/08
2009 FLHTCUSE4, -4/10
2010 FLHTCUSE5-BLK, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate
2012 VRSCDX ANV, Brilliant Silver Pearl
2016 FLHTKSE, Black Sparkle
2016 XL1200CX Roadster, Vivid Black
2018 FLFBS ANV
CVO 1480 IBA 26678

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 08:36:17 AM »

:confused5:    Lowering the bike isn't going to eliminate that "top heavy" feel, but it will negatively affect the ride quality.  I'd suggest thinking this through a bit more. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Capo

• Sicilian Moto Capo
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Yes it's fast and no you can't ride it!

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2-SOLD Begrudgingly!
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 09:18:26 AM »

My '09 SE Ultra rides terrific but seems super top heavy with even the slightest off camber maneuver (backing out of parking space, etc.). I'm 6'4" but the damn thing still seems top heavier than any of my other bikes. I don't want to screw with the ride, but thinking about 1" lower shocks on rear and lowering kit on front...anyone try this?

Did the QA1 air shocks with on board compressor from Arnott. Drops when I need to and if I am two up just add air!

Rinehart True Duals
Rich's Custom seat
Zippers T-Max TBW
Stage 1
Wood TW-7H cam
SE Tapered push rods
Extronics HID digital H9 High/Low
Metzler 880's 10K + on the first rear
Howard's Horns
Chrome TP Hinges
JM Antennas
Clearview recurve
Arnott Air Suspension with QA1 shocks
Traxxion AK20's
True Trac
RJ's Original V-Twin Heat shields
WA plate - FLHTSE

Lea

rcamp2009

• Senior CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 11:03:12 AM »

Put the sesg adjustable shocks on my 2010 seuc last week. Lowered the bike within 1/2" of my 09 serg. Absolutely love the shocks. I have used a lot of aftermarket shocks thru the years on various dressers. IMHO these are without question the best riding and handling. I have them adjusted 2 turns (can't hear the clicks) out for me and the tp. No bottoming out period. Wheel seems to be glued to the road. Rode about 250 miles 2up this weekend turned 3 turns out. Slightly more stiff but same results. Momma says this bikes rides like the Cadillac and serg was more like the Vette. Don't know how or why they work and don't care. I'm keeping them. Only problem now is the front end seems to stiff. Going to install the Progressive Mono's and see how they perform.
2019 FLHXSE
Ghost

rcamp2009

• Senior CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 11:48:52 AM »

Pics
2019 FLHXSE
Ghost

rcamp2009

• Senior CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 11:49:34 AM »

pics
2019 FLHXSE
Ghost

Mr D

• 1K CVO Member
    • WI

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 12:46:36 PM »

:confused5:    Lowering the bike isn't going to eliminate that "top heavy" feel, but it will negatively affect the ride quality.  I'd suggest thinking this through a bit more. 

Jerry

Being you are 6'4" i agree with Jerry.... F.Y.I.  You may want to have your dealer check to see if you have the early style side stand
bracket, which enabled the lean angle further with stand down. This could be your solution  :)
2014 FLHRSE6 Orange/Black
2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby/Typhoon [Sold]
2007 SEUC2 Red/Blk [Sold]
2006 SEUC Haze/Black [Sold]
2005 SEEG Yellow [Sold]
2003 VRSCA [Sold]
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Phil 4:13

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 08:37:36 PM »

I am 5'7" and I had to install the Arnott Air suspension in my '09 SE Ultra as soon as I purchased her.....I couldn't reach the ground  ???....they are great :2vrolijk_21:

wreckman 42

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 10:02:03 PM »

Installed the 1" lower rear shocks on my Ultra. Made a big difference in my feel at the stops and lots.
1956 FL Panhead
2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade
2003 Heritage Softail
2009 SE Ultra Classic

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 10:03:16 PM »

I use Legend Air Suspension on the rear and 1" lowered Traxxion up front.  Rides nice and is comfortable...
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

bikerboy53

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • OR

• CVO1: Razor Red '07 FLHRSE3
    • CVO2: Red & Slate '10 FLHTCUSE5
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 03:40:16 PM »

I'm "only" 5' 9" and have noticed the same slightly top heavy feel with my '10 Ultra that you describe, Wadeh. My BSR has noticed it too -especially after I dropped the bike and her on a slightly off-camber side hill.  :'(  :'( I was less than happy about either one of my babys hitting the ground, so I used Harley's front lowering kit and installed their 54635-09 Profile Low Touring (air) Shocks. Now I feel more comfortable handling the bike at low speeds, but the rear ride quality sucks (putting it mildly). It feels like there is almost no suspension travel in the rear now because the rear suspension bottoms on almost every little bump in the road -even with 50 psi in the shocks.

We (BSR & me) hadn't realized how bad the ride quality was until we took our '07 SERK for a good ride. The SERK came lowered from the factory, but has the earlier style rear lowering shocks. They seem to have more travel, and maybe better damping too. They give a cushy ride and rarely bottom.  8)

Meanwhile back on the Ultra -we're so disappointed with the ride that I'm seriously considering putting the stock suspension back on. The SESG shocks sound good, but I'm nervous about spending $500 to find out. We do most of our riding 2 up, (our combined weight is about 330 lbs before adding luggage, etc.) and are getting the bike set up to tow our trailer. We're getting ready for a several thousand mile road trip, and we want to use our trailer, but don't want to bottom out on every little pebble in the road.

Jerry

I have to agree with Jerry -lowering the bike didn't eliminate the top heavy feel, and did negatively affect the ride quality... but at least I can plant both feet firmly on the ground now and get some good leverage on the bars.

Does anyone know why the Mo Co says the early style air shocks (up to '08 I think) don't fit the late style frame? ('09 and newer) I've compared the shocks on both bikes and at 12" they are the same length. Looks like they have the same mounting hardware size too... I would try the shocks from the '07 on the '10, but I'm a little worried that suspension travel may be the big difference. If I put the '07 shocks on, and they have more travel it may allow the tire to contact the fender or destroy the wiring under there. Anybody know if the travel is the difference?  ???

Not happy with the current suspension, but not sure which way to go now either. And running out of time quickly!  :'(

S&S T124
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
VP-016-340 Centrifugal Clutch kit
S&S PowerTune Duals w/Rinehart Touring Mufflers
Garmin Zumo 660
Bushtec Trailer

sawyerghost

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2010, 12:58:08 PM »

Trying to resolve the same top-heavy issue, this is what I have done with my FLHTCUSE3 08 SE Ultra.

1st. Installed rear lowering shocks
2nd. Took the stock seat off and had seat reworked in the saddle-trimmed down sides- and had trim shop install gel pads for rider+ passenger.
3rd. Replaced stock handlebars with Pull-Backs.
I am 6 ft. 1 in. weigh 190 lbs, and with these mods it handles better, feels better all around.
I adjust the rear shocks (max. pressure with my wife on)
My suggestion is that whatever you do, go out and progressively ride a little harder each time and really get comfortable with your bike and its set up.
I am fortunate to have the local Abate Rider Course in our area very close to my home, and will at the end or beginning of a ride go run through it for 20-30 minutes and go at it a little harder each time.
I have also taken the Beginners, and Advanced Course, and just go through the same exercise's
You can also go to any vacant parking lot and practice these same exercise's.
I feel better with these mods/ and it makes the day or day's out more enojoyable.

Sawyer Ghost

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2010, 01:02:21 PM »

I have lowered a lot of my Harleys and in most cases just because they looked better.  No matter if done with Shocks or Springs, it has always affected the handling negatively.  I would go with  a lower seat, just my 2 cents worth.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

rcamp2009

• Senior CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2010, 09:21:07 AM »

Some of us like the lowered look period. You don't get nothin for nothin. There are trade offs on most any change you make. However I think these shocks are a win win. The factory air shocks suck. We all agree on that. The lowered air shocks really suck. I have had 5 different dressers over the last 15 years and have tried a lot of different shocks. If you go lower on the older bikes you will give something up either ride or handling or both. Being younger and tougher looks won out back then. Now being a tad older comfort is more important. The 2010 seuc is a huge improvement over my 2008 ultra no doubt. IMHO the serg shocks are awesome. No loss in handling or ride and 1" lower stance. To me the rear tire now seems glued to the road and I like that feeling also. Most important thing is BS rider says it was money well spent.
2019 FLHXSE
Ghost

gsharley

• Hele On

• CVO1: 2010 Screamin Eagle Street Glide - Candy Concord
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2010, 02:15:01 PM »

I have 2010 SESG new Coilovers available with less than 120 miles on them...

Let me know if there is a interest in them for your bikes....

rcamp2009

• Senior CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2010, 11:56:32 PM »

I have friends interested. How much? Have you found something better? enquirering mind needs to know?
2019 FLHXSE
Ghost

gsharley

• Hele On

• CVO1: 2010 Screamin Eagle Street Glide - Candy Concord
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2010, 06:35:57 PM »

I would like to get $375.00 for them or OBO - I decided to go with Ohlins, contemplated on Air Suspension (arnott or legends)

Supershooter

• Elite CVO Member
  • First Ride 03 FXDWG

• CVO1: 2010 SEUC-sold
    • CVO2: 2011 SESG
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2010, 01:44:48 PM »

Rode over to JP Cycles Open House this weekend and seen a new conversion fit from Fat Baggers Inc. They have a bolt on kit that drops the seat height 3 inches, narrows the saddle and really fits short leg guy really well. They have a regular version and one for people 5' 6" or shorter. I am 5'9" and after sitting on both, I prefer the shorter stance with the bike dropped and inch in the front and back. Check them out they are cool.
Supershooter
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 21 queries.