Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: 1992 FXR conversion to 96" kit - need advice  (Read 23795 times)

Free

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
1992 FXR conversion to 96" kit - need advice
« on: February 17, 2006, 02:09:44 PM »

I have a 92 FXR and I want to boost performance. A long time ago i put Edelbrock heads on it and Macuni 42" carb and most recently V&H 2:1 (have not dynoed it).  I want more power and torque.
i have been thinking about what to do and my mechanic has suggested doing a 96" conversion.

Here is what the mechanic says. I would love some feedback with those who may have done this. Questions to ask, views, pricing etc.

This is from the mechanic:

Hi Andrew!

Here are some prices for the 96" conversion.

Labor is 20 hrs. which includes removing the engine from the frame, tearing it down, sending the cases out for machining, reassembly with new crank and performance cam and heads, re installation back into the frame.
I would be willing to discount the labor for you, I just wanted to show a standard hour amount for this type of job.

The 96" kit from S&S is very complete. It comes with new flywheels, pistons, cylinders, cam, pushrods and carburetor. It also includes gaskets.
You have 2 choices for finish on the cylinders, "natural" and black.
If you do not want the S&S carb. we can arrange a credit or discount.
The cost of this kit is $2399.00.

I recommend we take a set of Harley Screamin Eagle heads and have them ported.
We will send the heads to the porter and create a part number based on cost  of heads plus the porting so you aren't buying a set of heads at retail, then paying for the added cost of porting.
The total for ported new heads will be $1500.

The total for parts and labor is $5700 not including tax.
If you do not want the S&S carb, I will see if we can discount $500 off the kit.
I am willing to discount as much as 4 hours labor as well.
That would bring your total to apx. $4840.

Please let me know any thoughts or questions

RedFXR2

Re: 1992 FXR conversion to 96" kit - need advice
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 03:07:28 PM »

I almost passed out.  Action on the Evo board!!

Anyway, coincidentally, I have a friend who did nearly this very thing to his Evo some years ago and was disappointed with the results.  He ended up with a motor that was hard to start (he installed 10.5/1 pistons), and difficult to keep in tune.  I don't remember all the specifics, but for the same money you're talking about you can buy a complete S&S 96" (approx. $4500) that was purpose built for that displacement and get a better total package.  This is what my friend said he should have done.  Or if you have the budget and want to end up with a real race horse, for approx. $7500 you can get a complete TP 107".  These would be complete, Evo design motors that would just bolt right into your frame.  A shop owner here did the TP conversion to his 1994 FXLR.  These are just the first two prices I could find for these motors on the web, you could shop for a deal.  Then you can sell your current engine or parts to help pay for the cost of the new motor.

Anyway, with a complete S&S engine, you'd get S&S cases that were purpose built for that displacement.  $4840 for the HD/S&S combo (installed) or $4500 for the complete S&S 96", but you'd still have to either do the swap yourself or pay a pro.  For the $340 savings I'd have to figure the benefit of getting all new S&S, 96" designed parts and could I get it installed for $340?  And again, you'd be left with some good HD Evo parts that you could sell on ebay, if nothing else, to help with the cost.

Hope this helps, or at least gives you another angle on the project.  Done right, you'll have a really fun bike.  Good luck.

Free

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 04:06:13 PM »

Thanks so much, very helpful

hadn't thought about the 107 (damn, this site keeps costing me money!!!)

RedFXR2

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 04:24:54 PM »

I had some time so I did some more surfing around on the vtwinforum site and found several references from some of the recognized pros questioning the ability of the standard HD Evo case to retain enough strength to last after machining for the 96 inch kit.  They seem to offer the same suggestion--just go ahead and get a whole new larger bore motor.  The largest overbore they recommend for a HD Evo is .030, only about 7 CI's.  If you have a good relationship with your mechanic, you might ask him about this specifically.  This is why I emphasize getting the total engine from S&S because those cases are designed for that bore from the outset--and for $340 less to boot.

Glad to have helped.

RedFXR2

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2006, 04:35:06 PM »

hadn't thought about the 107

Since I brought up the TP 107, there's one more thing to think about.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2006, 04:36:13 PM by RedFXR2 »

Free

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2006, 04:39:10 PM »

great, gives me a lot of things to talk about with my mechanic

really appreciate the help

Free

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2006, 10:18:18 PM »

RedFXR2

talked with the mechanic today.
After much discussion, he agrees with your point that it would be better just to buy the S&S engine and bolt it on.

Looks like we have a plan,

thanks again

RedFXR2

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2006, 10:43:30 PM »

RedFXR2

After much discussion, he agrees with your point that it would be better just to buy the S&S engine and bolt it on.

I really think you'll be better off.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2006, 11:18:50 PM by RedFXR2 »

Free

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2006, 11:10:59 AM »

will do
i'll post a picture when done

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2006, 11:53:30 PM »

freefxrs    
           Without getting into a glory days kind of story, been there, done that, bought the t-shirt. The best advice is [size=20]buy a complete motor and drop it in your frame. [/size]Trust me on this one dude  ;)

Free

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2006, 02:13:05 PM »

Red

i am getting really intrigued with dropping an S&S 124 into my FXR.  I talked with Wes at Cycle Rama, who has a 124 in his FXR and just loves it. Says you can bolt it right on (doesn't even need a torque arm).  Since this will be my fun scooter (have the SEUC for touring), it should be a blast.

curious what you are finding out on the 124 option.

Spiderman - thanks for the advice. i am definately going that direction - just trying to figure out which one to drop in.

RedFXR2

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2006, 02:29:34 PM »

Red
I talked with Wes at Cycle Rama, who has a 124 in his FXR and just loves it. Says you can bolt it right on (doesn't even need a torque arm).

You've done what I haven't--that is find someone who can attest first-hand that a 124 really will fit.  Is it an S&S (I presume)?.

If you're committed to the 124 idea, I'd make a plan of what else you already have that will mate up to that engine in terms of transmission and clutch...and what else you might need to replace.  Are you still thinking of a wider rear tire and chain drive?  What other components does your man at Cycle-Rama run paired with his 124?  I think you've got a great source in this man Wes--talk to him a lot about all the "lessons learned".

I love the idea.  Keep us posted.

Free

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2006, 03:04:52 PM »

yeah, he is a very nice guy

he actually kept his 130 tire.  I think I would go to a bigger tire. He went with chain drive. I would do that as well as it would add the extra benefit of giving more room for a larger tire.

he said i might think about suspension but that was it.

Free

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2006, 12:34:20 AM »

Red

Here is where I am heading

124 S&S
Chain Drive
Avon 140 Race Compound rear tire
48mm Makuni

I am pricing this now and will make a decision shortly

Free

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2006, 05:36:28 PM »

Red

well, i finally did it. Dropped the S&S 124 into the 1992 FXR frame.  Awesome power, pulls at every gear.  I will throw some pictures up shortly.

RedFXR2

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2006, 05:48:35 PM »

I can't wait! :)

Free

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2006, 11:09:17 PM »

Here are some pics:

The engine went on without any major adjustments.  Took the flange off the Carb in order to move the Carb in 2 inches.
Added a chain, new ignition, new clutch.  Did not put on a torque arm (couldn't fit it).  While I had the bike in, I replaced the alternator, rotor and regulator. I also added a 150 rear tire.  We also had to add a spacer for rear wheel sproket.  Will Dyno it after its broken in.

Free

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2006, 11:10:31 PM »

and,

Free

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2006, 11:11:02 PM »

close up

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2006, 12:42:51 AM »

Good looking scooter, I bet its a blast to ride with the 124" motor 8-)

RedFXR2

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2006, 08:56:39 AM »

Nice, clean job.  Yep, that bike will be a blast.  Thanks for the pics.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2006, 10:08:27 AM »

free,
Sweet ride, bet that thing is a "Blast" to ride. [smiley=vrolijk27.gif]

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Free

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2006, 12:33:36 PM »

thanks

it is a lot of fun. I haven't had it wide open yet but i did tweak the throttle a bit too hard the other day and found my ass half off my seat and on the rear fender. Kind of freaked me out a bit.  Starting to get used to it. Cant wait to break in the engine.

RedFXR2

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2006, 12:57:04 PM »

..it is a lot of fun. I haven't had it wide open yet but i did tweak the throttle a bit too hard the other day and found my ass half off my seat and on the rear fender.

I don't doubt it.  Any idea of the HP and torque of that motor?  Your bike only weighs something like 560 lbs with an Evo, so with easily double, maybe triple the power of a stock Evo, you've got a real rocket on your hands.  Be careful with that thing.

Free

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2006, 02:22:24 PM »

i really dont know (not sure why i didn't ask).  i will take it to the Dyno once broken in and i will let you know.  

Wes at cycle rama suggests that he work the heads if i really want to wake this thing up. He wants to install oversized intake seats, 2.200 intake valves, trick valve job, port the intake manifold etc.  

Stop the madness - does it ever end?

RedFXR2

« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2006, 02:26:16 PM »

Stop the madness - does it ever end?

No.
 [smiley=drink.gif]

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2006, 03:21:34 PM »

:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

RedFXR2

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2006, 04:04:09 PM »

only when the money runs out

Does HD take food stamps?

Free

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2006, 09:14:12 PM »

hey guys

here is question for you.  I am getting the paint redone.  The paint has really faded over the past 10 years and i want to bring out the ghost color flames.  While i am doing that, I thought about getting a different rear fender and a fatter tire. The question is what size tire would you consider (180, 220 etc.).  What do you think would look best?

RedFXR2

« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2006, 10:06:35 AM »

Fatter rear tire:
« Last Edit: August 25, 2006, 11:46:06 AM by RedFXR2 »

jfh

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2006, 04:16:10 PM »

Very interesting post. I have a '93 FXR that I disassembled last winter in preparation for me to install my 120" Merch/Zipper's motor.  Just haven't gotten around to it and I recently sold the 120" Merch in order to finance a Zipper's 120" build for my '07 FLHTCU.

I plan to resume the FXR project over this winter and would be very interested in how you like the S&S 124".  Wes Brown and CycleRama have a great reputation. Post some pics and a dyno sheet if you have one.
Hammer - CVO Member #641

2009 FLTRSE3: Axtell jugs, JE forged flat top pistons, S&S 585 cams, SE 58mm TB, Dewey's Pro-Street porting, SE cam plate, Zipper's tapered pushrods, Cat-less, 2" Fullsac, TTS, Twin Jagg oil coolers, AK-20, 13" Works Black Trackers w/ARS, Clearview, Hawg Wired, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Danny Gray Big Seat

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2006, 04:47:14 PM »

Beautiful FXR Free. Must be fast. Can I ask you big inch engine guys if you know anything about the Big Air Carb from PSI Power? http://psipowerinc.com/ I've used nothing but S&S Supers, but this carb seems really slick. All adjustments are with external click knobs to dial it in. No internal jets to change for tuning. It's a little pricey, but I'm thinking of trying it on my stroker. They also say money back guarantee. If anyone knows about this carb, please let me know or PM me. Thanks, Hoist!
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

jfh

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2006, 06:27:34 PM »

Hoist,

My carb experience on big motors has been either Bob Wood modified Kehin CV, http://www.woodcarbs.com/carbs.htm, or Mikuni flatslide.  Both worked quite well but I'll admit that I preferred the Mikuni given it was about half the price.  The PSI Big Air looks interesting and is competitively priced with the Bob Wood offerings, but still expensive. Their 10-18 HP  guarantee "in most cases" makes me wonder about the value of their claim.  If they would flat out guarantee even 10 HP, it would be worth the investment. Certainly worthy of further research and contact with the company.

Hammer - CVO Member #641

2009 FLTRSE3: Axtell jugs, JE forged flat top pistons, S&S 585 cams, SE 58mm TB, Dewey's Pro-Street porting, SE cam plate, Zipper's tapered pushrods, Cat-less, 2" Fullsac, TTS, Twin Jagg oil coolers, AK-20, 13" Works Black Trackers w/ARS, Clearview, Hawg Wired, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Danny Gray Big Seat

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2006, 06:36:07 PM »

Hoist,

My carb experience on big motors has been either Bob Wood modified Kehin CV, http://www.woodcarbs.com/carbs.htm, or Mikuni flatslide.

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

jfh

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2006, 06:14:41 PM »

Good assessment and I agree, but it looks like a pretty nice unit. They are also claiming "money back if you're not happy - but you're going to be happy", when he e-mailed me back. I love the idea of using the S&S 2-1/16" manifold and S&S A/C assembly too. If I get more info or decide to pull the trigger, I'll let you know. Hoist!

Thanks, I look forward to hearing about your progress.
Hammer - CVO Member #641

Free

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2006, 03:51:49 PM »

Beautiful FXR Free. Must be fast. Can I ask you big inch engine guys if you know anything about the Big Air Carb from PSI Power? http://psipowerinc.com/ I've used nothing but S&S Supers, but this carb seems really slick. All adjustments are with external click knobs to dial it in. No internal jets to change for tuning. It's a little pricey, but I'm thinking of trying it on my stroker. They also say money back guarantee. If anyone knows about this carb, please let me know or PM me. Thanks, Hoist!

Hoist - i talked to Wes at CycleRama. He ordered the PSI Carb and will do a back to back test with his 124 with Makuni 48mm.  He thinks the claims may be too good to be true but will test it.  He says he will get back to me in a couple weeks with the results. Bruce at PSI seems knowledgable but doesn't have any Dyno sheets to back up his claim but rather drops names of chopper builders.  it will be interesting to see what Wes thinks of it after testing it.

best

Free

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2006, 11:38:41 PM »

Hoist - i talked to Wes at CycleRama. He ordered the PSI Carb and will do a back to back test with his 124 with Makuni 48mm.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2006, 03:48:47 PM by Hoist »

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2006, 02:40:14 PM »

Hoist - i talked to Wes at CycleRama. He ordered the PSI Carb and will do a back to back test with his 124 with Makuni 48mm.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2006, 02:45:21 PM »

Wow

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2006, 06:52:15 PM »

[smiley=confused5.gif] A little too close to the gas fumes today? :-/ Hoist!

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2006, 07:59:48 PM »

No

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2006, 11:58:21 AM »

Hoist - i talked to Wes at CycleRama. He thinks the claims may be too good to be true but will test it.  
Free

What ain't you telling us about it? :o Stay away? [smiley=nixweiss.gif] Care to share?

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2006, 12:10:58 PM »

Hoist,

The

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2006, 12:49:37 PM »

Hoist,

The
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2006, 12:59:05 PM »

You missed this claim:

"Carb So Simple - Anyone Can Use It!!
BIG HP GAINS GURANTEED!
15-22 HP in most cases
Better than Nitrous"

Someone's been sniffing way too many fumes.

Jerry

I guess he's going for the "sensationalist" approach. Didn't pay much attention to his numbers claims, the overall package sounded worth trying with no risks. Generally speaking though, if something sounds too good to be true, it usually is. Not in any hurray. Maybe somebody here can report on it.

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2006, 01:34:22 PM »

the overall package sounded worth trying with no risks.
;)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2006, 01:39:45 PM »

Satisfaction guaranteed or your money back. There

elvislee

« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2006, 09:36:13 PM »

I just received some flyers and info fom PSI. My Bro-Law wanted it to check out carb for a 77 FLH Shovel [smiley=confused5.gif] :-/ :-?Anyway; I'm gonna keep an eye on yall's posts to see what happens...Later
« Last Edit: December 17, 2006, 09:36:42 PM by elvislee »

Tros

« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2007, 11:06:22 AM »

Hoist - i talked to Wes at CycleRama. He ordered the PSI Carb and will do a back to back test with his 124 with Makuni 48mm.  He thinks the claims may be too good to be true but will test it.  He says he will get back to me in a couple weeks with the results. Bruce at PSI seems knowledgable but doesn't have any Dyno sheets to back up his claim but rather drops names of chopper builders.  it will be interesting to see what Wes thinks of it after testing it.

best

Free

What ever became of this comparison with the Mikuni?  Which one won?

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2007, 11:14:06 AM »

I forgot about this one! Whatever did happen with that Free. I've decided to stick with my S&S Super for now, but was interested to hear first hand how anyone liked the PSI carb. Thanks for renewing this Tros! ;) Hoist! 8)

Tros

« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2007, 10:21:23 PM »

Yeah, I've been digging around a bit, lol.  BTW I saw your early FXST, nice.  8)  I've always wanted to stick a Panhead in one of those.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2007, 10:32:31 PM »

Yeah, I've been digging around a bit, lol.  BTW I saw your early FXST, nice.  8)  I've always wanted to stick a Panhead in one of those.

Hey Tros, the '86 FXST is Headpan's. He just restored that. Mine's the '85 FXWG. It's a 4-speed, swingarm, Evo. Rare combo! ;) Hoist! 8)

Tros

« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2007, 10:41:22 PM »

Hey Tros, the '86 FXST is Headpan's. He just restored that. Mine's the '85 FXWG. It's a 4-speed, swingarm, Evo. Rare combo! ;) Hoist! 8)

I sit corrected.   :-[  I was thinking of both while also  :drink:  ing.  LOL! 

HD did some strange things at the end of the Shovel era. 

Free

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2007, 04:43:17 PM »

Wes told me he got the carb and was going to throw it on the dyno (that was a couple weeks ago). I haven't heard from him yet but will follow up.

Free

jfh

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2007, 06:11:58 PM »

I was recently informed that the TC is a direct bolt-in replacement for the Evo in the FXR and Evo FLHT frames as long as you retain the TC transmission.  Mounting points are in the same locations.  To retain your original swingarm, you must use a pre-2002 model year TC transmission.  If you are willing to update the swingarm, you can use any 2002-present FLH trans.

Can anyone confirm this? I am still trying to decide what to do with my '93 FXRS project.
Hammer - CVO Member #641

crshnbrn

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2007, 08:19:48 PM »

I was recently informed that the TC is a direct bolt-in replacement for the Evo in the FXR and Evo FLHT frames as long as you retain the TC transmission.  Mounting points are in the same locations.  To retain your original swingarm, you must use a pre-2002 model year TC transmission.  If you are willing to update the swingarm, you can use any 2002-present FLH trans.

Can anyone confirm this? I am still trying to decide what to do with my '93 FXRS project.

A Twincam is not a direct bolt-in replacement for an Evo in a stock factory FXR frame.  Chopper Guys offers FXR frames for Evo's and Twincam's that allow you to use most of your original FXR components.  They should be able to give you plenty of reasons why this won't work.

http://www.chopperguys.com

Free

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2007, 06:50:28 PM »

Wes is elbow deep in the Daytona frenzy and hasn't tested it yet, so no update there

Free

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2007, 07:30:44 PM »

Wes is elbow deep in the Daytona frenzy and hasn't tested it yet, so no update there

Free

Thanks Free. I'm really interested to see if it performs as claimed or if it's smoke and mirrors. Appreciate for the update! Hoist! 8)

RedFXR2

« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2007, 08:44:21 AM »

I was recently informed that the TC is a direct bolt-in replacement for the Evo in the FXR and Evo FLHT frames as long as you retain the TC transmission.  Mounting points are in the same locations.

May not be exactly what you mean but Jims is now making a 120 TC with Evo mounts.  It bolts right into any HD Evo frame.  Might make for an interesting upgrade, depending on your budget.  I don't know about transmission requirements but I would guess that a TC transmission would be compatible.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 0.239 seconds with 21 queries.