Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ? for anyone who has replaced tins.  (Read 1747 times)

Herrmen

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3
? for anyone who has replaced tins.
« on: May 25, 2010, 07:36:09 PM »

So, my bike is at the dealer having the tins replaced due to rust in the paint and here is where I have a question. When switching the tins can you remove the flush mount gas cap and fuel gauge and use it again or do you have to get a new one? The dealer said that you have to use a new kit. I am not too worried because they are paying for it but is going to take a week or two for a new gauge to come in and would like my bike quicker. I know you can remove the gauge but wasn't sure about the trim ring or being able to reuse the wiring harness. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dustin

ed ammon

Re: ? for anyone who has replaced tins.
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 06:57:10 AM »

are are you getting new paint for free? why put back on paint that is going to rust again. There is no primer on that metal. Im dealing with the same issue. they told me yesterday that they dont service paint jobs.

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 10:56:29 AM »

The fuel cap trim ring usually falls off over a period of time, (supposedly the petrol vapour effects the adhesive material) after they have been fitted they are no longer perfectly flat and so are very difficult to line up correctly to the shape of the tank, mine constantly try to pop off and I have tried various glues adhesive tapes and silicons to try and refit them<i just keep pressing them back down all the time,

so i would definately wait for the new set!

Herrmen

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 10:15:26 AM »

ed ammon,

I have already had the tank, headlight, rear fender, and left mirror replaced under warranty. I was asking because was worried about not getting to go on a trip but the dealer did me a solid and put some of the standard softail gages in until the new ones come in. Damn things are on back order for like another 2 months! So, long story short, raise hell till they replace it. Luckily mine was not that hard to get replaced.

Ice,

That is the plan and now I get to play the waiting game. ha ha!

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 22 queries.