Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stuck in first gear  (Read 2134 times)

08springer

Stuck in first gear
« on: June 16, 2010, 11:59:09 PM »

Well I had a nice ride tonight until I was going home. Got on it a little bit not very hard at all and noticed I could not get out of first gear. I was hopeing for a loose bolt or something but the linkage looks fine. I checked the allen head bolt down by the tranny and it is tight.  I was not hitting the gears real hard but my shifter linkage moves all free up and down like it is not engaginging on anything. Does any have a idea what went wrong?

HDDOCFL

• 1K CVO Member
  • Never Say Never
Re: Stuck in first gear
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 07:25:59 AM »

Shifter prawl spring in the trans. Sounds like it broke.  Doc

08springer

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 08:27:44 AM »

Does the entire tranny have to come out or can I gain access to the spring from the top cover plate thats under the oil tank? 

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 08:47:14 AM »

Does the entire tranny have to come out or can I gain access to the spring from the top cover plate thats under the oil tank?  

The shift pawl, drum, etc. can be accessed from the top cover.  Get a shop manual if you don't have one, and make sure to account for all the parts.  If something actually broke, you don't want to leave pieces in there that might lock up the trans.  

BTW, before tearing into it make absolutely sure that the linkage is actually turning the shift shaft.  There have been plenty of linkages that have stripped where the spline fits over the shaft.  Hate to tear everything apart and then find something relatively simple. 

Jerry
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 08:52:19 AM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

08springer

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 08:55:36 AM »

Thanks guys. I will go purchase the shop manual and check the linkage one more time to make sure its not stripped.

08springer

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 11:51:00 AM »

Well I got the tranny cover off and I see the problem. The internal weld on the shaft going through the case broke. It looks like the primary and iside primary cases have to come off to get the shift shaft out. I used a 06 manual to get this far but I think takeing the entire left side of the engine is getting scary for me.  I had to remove the exhaust and oil tank to get access to the tranny cover so I am hoping a dealer will fix the shaft and then I will re install the oil tank and exhaust.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 03:46:25 PM »

Well I got the tranny cover off and I see the problem. The internal weld on the shaft going through the case broke. It looks like the primary and iside primary cases have to come off to get the shift shaft out. I used a 06 manual to get this far but I think takeing the entire left side of the engine is getting scary for me.  I had to remove the exhaust and oil tank to get access to the tranny cover so I am hoping a dealer will fix the shaft and then I will re install the oil tank and exhaust.

Dealers are experienced at giving you the shaft.
 :pineapple: :bananarock: :mango: :orange: :apple: :carrot: :jalapeno:
Any day on the bike is a good day.

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 22 queries.