Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20

Author Topic: 2010 Trip to CO, UT, ID, WY, MT and SD  (Read 20751 times)

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
2010 Trip to CO, UT, ID, WY, MT and SD
« on: June 17, 2010, 10:04:14 AM »

Judy and I are leaving for a two week plus trip out west this afternoon.  Spending tonight with friends in Marietta GA, Friday night in Nashville and will meet Brian (103Thunder) in St. Charles MO Saturday afternoon.

From there we head to Estees Park CO and will make a big loop through CO, UT, ID WY, MT, SD then head home.  Should be home about July 5th.  Trying not to make reservations so that we aren't committed to being at any certain spot each night.

Will try to post info and pics in the afternoons.

:apple: :jalapeno: :cucumber: :pineapple: :pepper:
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 10:06:01 AM by 07hd110 »

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
Re: 2010 Trip to CO, UT, ID, WY, MT and SD
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 10:16:14 AM »

Lookin forward to the pics  :bananarock:  Ride safe guys  :2vrolijk_21:

Howie

OhioDave

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Limited
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 10:30:23 AM »

Looking forward to the pics as well, the wife and i are making a similar loop in early August...

Enjoy!

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 10:31:12 AM »

Excellent  :2vrolijk_21:  Have a great trip.  We're doing about the same thing in a week and a half.   :2vrolijk_21:

Looking forward to your pics and reports.

Wheelsnkeels

• Freedom isnt free Thank a Vet!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Indiana Patriot Guard Riders

• CVO1: 2010 SESG Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2007 Heritage Custom (not CVO) too much chrome
    • CVO3: 2006 Heritage Classic (overinvested in mods ?)
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 10:31:29 AM »

SWEEEEET my kinda trip, Jus waiting for the pic's to ride along!
RC Components Savage  200/55/17 Rear 140/70/21 front
Corbin Dual Tour (Heated)
Street Magic LED's
TTS Mastertune
Fueling 574 Cams & Lifters
SE Adjustable pushrods
Progressive Mono Tubes
Hog Tunes Hog Pods
J&M 7.25 Speakers w/250W Amp
Kuryakyn 9182 License plate frame
Vance & Hines Power Dual's
BUB Boom Cans slip on Exhaust 
Detach Tequila King Tour Pak
Rumble passenger Floorboards
Freedom Shield 7"
Riders Claw Iphone

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 10:39:28 AM »

Posted this on another thread for a guy wanting driving routes. You may want to try this in reverse if you've never taken this route through SD. The interstate is pretty boring and usually has construction and tourist traffic. Guarantee you will see more of the beautiful parts of the state if you "Get off the Interstate Ben Stone!"

My suggestion is that if you are going to go through South Dakota east to west or west to east that you stay off I-90. The tourist traffic and road construction make for a less than enjoyable experience. If you come through Sioux City, get off on Highway 50 just east of Vermillion. The section from I-29 over to Yankton is nice 4 lane (I grew up in Yankton so I know this). Take Hwy 52 going west out of Yankton by Lewis & Clark Lake. Beautiful bluffs on the Nebraska side. Stop at Gavin's Point Dam if you have time, great vacation location, great camping if you want to spend the night there. There are over 1,400 State and Federal asphalt pad campsites there with firewood, showers and lots of nice amenities. Continue up Hwy 52 until it intersects with Hwy 50 again. Go west through Tabor, Tyndall, Avon, Wagner, Lake Andes and Geddes. None of these towns are over 2K people but there is gas and nice homey restaurants if you get hungry. Stay on Hwy 50 going north out of Geddes until it intersects with Hwy 44. Go West on Hwy 44 through Platte and Winner. The Missouri River Valley west of Platte is gorgeous hilly curvy terrain, well worth the trip! Transition from Hwy 44 to Hwy 18 as you go west of Winner and go into Mission. This is on one of the SD Indian reservation towns and is a unique place to cruise through. No danger, just an opportunity to see something you won't see every day.  That stretch of road from Winner to Mission is new smooth concrete as well so it's a great ride. Turn north on Hwy 83 just west of Mission and go north to White River. Be sure to get fuel in Mission or White River as you're getting out into no mans land here. Pick up Hwy 44 west again and go west and north to Interior. You're now in the Badlands. Outstanding views and great riding. If you have time, go west on Hwy 240 up to Wall. Speed limit in the badlands is 45 and there will be a lot of tourist traffic but the views are some of the best on earth. If you don't have 90 minutes, go east and north on Hwy 240 up to I-90 and blaze on into the Black Hills. A stop at Wall to see Wall Drug is highly recommended if you have never seen it.

This route works going either way. Give yourself time to enjoy the trip. Figure 50-60 MPH average and you should be fine. You'll be out in the open a lot so you can put the coals to it but there are towns to slow down for and views you'll want to stop and take in so it's not a balls out ride.

Being a native South Dakotan, I am quite proud of many of the beautiful sites to see in the state. Too many people speed east and west on I-90 and miss much of the beauty just 40-50 miles south. I have ridden to Sturgis both ways since I got my Wide Glide 3 years ago and it is a great trip! Agree completely with what GStreetGlide says about riding in the Hills. We stay in Hill City to get away from some of the madness that happens in Sturgis. We go there and spend a day looking at the bikes, vendors and other sites but it's a little too crazy for most of us after dark. Don't even recommend riding in the Hills after dark unless you are going up the the lighting ceremony at Rushmore, which is highly recommended!

Hope you have a safe and enjoyable trip! I'll be trying to put together a CVO gathering in the Hills again this year. Last year HD did one but we had already left for home.

SkrmnChicken

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 11:06:08 AM »

If any of you happen to the Denver area, give me call
& I will buy the beer! Jerry 303.324.9342
.....also, If you plan to tour the Coors brewery in
Golden, take a cab!!!!
Law enforcement in Golden will cite you for loud
pipes whether they are or not! ...YOU must prove
the pipes are stock.
Last weekend there was a huge rod & custom car
show there which was so big it shut down downtown...
they cited the president of the sponsoring car club
for loud pipes as well.
Forwarned.....
RESPECT
Jerry
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 12:59:41 PM by SkrmnChicken »

Tbone

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3
    • CVO3: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 11:13:34 AM »

Tommy,

You guys have a blast, I wish we were going with you.  Post lots of stories and pics!

Ride safe,

Bob
2014 FLHTKSE Stardust Silver/Autumn Sunset
2013 FLHTCUSE8 Anniversary
2009 FLTRSE3 Orange/Black
2008 FLHTCUSE3 Anniversary
2003 FLHRCI Silver/Black

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 12:11:22 PM »

Mi amigo Tommy......have a great and nice ride.......if you see a "black one" don't be tempted to get it.....wait until July :huepfenjump3:

Say hi Judy and enjoy it!! :drink:

16HD117

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 01:21:25 PM »

Posted this on another thread for a guy wanting driving routes. You may want to try this in reverse if you've never taken this route through SD. The interstate is pretty boring and usually has construction and tourist traffic. Guarantee you will see more of the beautiful parts of the state if you "Get off the Interstate Ben Stone!"

My suggestion is that if you are going to go through South Dakota east to west or west to east that you stay off I-90. The tourist traffic and road construction make for a less than enjoyable experience. If you come through Sioux City, get off on Highway 50 just east of Vermillion. The section from I-29 over to Yankton is nice 4 lane (I grew up in Yankton so I know this). Take Hwy 52 going west out of Yankton by Lewis & Clark Lake. Beautiful bluffs on the Nebraska side. Stop at Gavin's Point Dam if you have time, great vacation location, great camping if you want to spend the night there. There are over 1,400 State and Federal asphalt pad campsites there with firewood, showers and lots of nice amenities. Continue up Hwy 52 until it intersects with Hwy 50 again. Go west through Tabor, Tyndall, Avon, Wagner, Lake Andes and Geddes. None of these towns are over 2K people but there is gas and nice homey restaurants if you get hungry. Stay on Hwy 50 going north out of Geddes until it intersects with Hwy 44. Go West on Hwy 44 through Platte and Winner. The Missouri River Valley west of Platte is gorgeous hilly curvy terrain, well worth the trip! Transition from Hwy 44 to Hwy 18 as you go west of Winner and go into Mission. This is on one of the SD Indian reservation towns and is a unique place to cruise through. No danger, just an opportunity to see something you won't see every day.  That stretch of road from Winner to Mission is new smooth concrete as well so it's a great ride. Turn north on Hwy 83 just west of Mission and go north to White River. Be sure to get fuel in Mission or White River as you're getting out into no mans land here. Pick up Hwy 44 west again and go west and north to Interior. You're now in the Badlands. Outstanding views and great riding. If you have time, go west on Hwy 240 up to Wall. Speed limit in the badlands is 45 and there will be a lot of tourist traffic but the views are some of the best on earth. If you don't have 90 minutes, go east and north on Hwy 240 up to I-90 and blaze on into the Black Hills. A stop at Wall to see Wall Drug is highly recommended if you have never seen it.

This route works going either way. Give yourself time to enjoy the trip. Figure 50-60 MPH average and you should be fine. You'll be out in the open a lot so you can put the coals to it but there are towns to slow down for and views you'll want to stop and take in so it's not a balls out ride.

Being a native South Dakotan, I am quite proud of many of the beautiful sites to see in the state. Too many people speed east and west on I-90 and miss much of the beauty just 40-50 miles south. I have ridden to Sturgis both ways since I got my Wide Glide 3 years ago and it is a great trip! Agree completely with what GStreetGlide says about riding in the Hills. We stay in Hill City to get away from some of the madness that happens in Sturgis. We go there and spend a day looking at the bikes, vendors and other sites but it's a little too crazy for most of us after dark. Don't even recommend riding in the Hills after dark unless you are going up the the lighting ceremony at Rushmore, which is highly recommended!

Hope you have a safe and enjoyable trip! I'll be trying to put together a CVO gathering in the Hills again this year. Last year HD did one but we had already left for home.

Thanks for the info!  Got it mapped out and loaded on the GPS!
 :2vrolijk_21:

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2010, 01:58:22 PM »

When in Estes Park, CO, Mary's Lake Lodge is a nice place to stay.

Craig

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2010, 02:14:11 PM »

Thanks for the route, BE.  Interstates suck.

See ya in about 50 hrs., Tommy!

16HD117

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2010, 02:14:28 PM »

When in Estes Park, CO, Mary's Lake Lodge is a nice place to stay.

Craig

First night in Colorado we were planning on staying in or near Central City, next night in Estes Park.  How's the roads from Central City to Estes Park?  

We'll check out Mary's!

Thanks for the info!
 :2vrolijk_21:

16HD117

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2010, 02:16:57 PM »

Thanks for the route, BE.  Interstates suck.

See ya in about 50 hrs., Tommy!

Wish Chip were going..........

So he could look at my crooked azz luggage rack for 5000 miles!
 :)

SkrmnChicken

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2010, 02:23:03 PM »

The road from CC to Estes is called peak to peak hiway....
you will love it! scenic w/gentle twists!...some not so gentle.
RESPECT
Jerry
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 22 queries.