Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oil leak  (Read 1351 times)

serghaven

• Senior CVO Member
Oil leak
« on: June 21, 2010, 08:22:40 AM »

I changed my oil the other day and now I have a leak. I over tightened the filter when I put it on so I thought I wrecked the gasket. I went out and bought a new filter and put that on. Still leaks. It's not a bad leak. But I'm Leaving for a two week trip on Friday and would like to get it fixed before I leave. Any suggestion on why it's still leaking or how to fix it would really be appreciated.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Oil leak
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 08:32:27 AM »

I changed my oil the other day and now I have a leak. I over tightened the filter when I put it on so I thought I wrecked the gasket. I went out and bought a new filter and put that on. Still leaks. It's not a bad leak. But I'm Leaving for a two week trip on Friday and would like to get it fixed before I leave. Any suggestion on why it's still leaking or how to fix it would really be appreciated.

Where is it actually leaking?  The reason I ask is that it's almost impossible to change oil filters without getting some oil down around the voltage regulator and oil cooler, and it will continue to drip out for what seems like a very long time unless you thoroughly flush it out. 

If it's actually leaking at the filter, you may have a leak at the adaptor plate for the oil cooler.  They have been known to come loose.  Remove the filter and check the adaptor it screws on to.  See the attached pdf instruction sheet for the cooler for details.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Capo

• Sicilian Moto Capo
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Yes it's fast and no you can't ride it!

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2-SOLD Begrudgingly!
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 08:33:02 AM »

hate to sound incredulous but did you get the old gasket when you made the change-sounds like a double gasket leak-

Rinehart True Duals
Rich's Custom seat
Zippers T-Max TBW
Stage 1
Wood TW-7H cam
SE Tapered push rods
Extronics HID digital H9 High/Low
Metzler 880's 10K + on the first rear
Howard's Horns
Chrome TP Hinges
JM Antennas
Clearview recurve
Arnott Air Suspension with QA1 shocks
Traxxion AK20's
True Trac
RJ's Original V-Twin Heat shields
WA plate - FLHTSE

Lea

serghaven

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 09:02:39 AM »

hate to sound incredulous but did you get the old gasket when you made the change-sounds like a double gasket leak-
Thanks Capo. I know that the other gasket did come off as I checked it to see if I cracked it when overtighted it. Didn't see know cracks.

Where is it actually leaking?  The reason I ask is that it's almost impossible to change oil filters without getting some oil down around the voltage regulator and oil cooler, and it will continue to drip out for what seems like a very long time unless you thoroughly flush it out. 

If it's actually leaking at the filter, you may have a leak at the adaptor plate for the oil cooler.  They have been known to come loose.  Remove the filter and check the adaptor it screws on to.  See the attached pdf instruction sheet for the cooler for details.

Thanks Jerry. It looks like it's coming from the filter where it connects to the bike. I too was thinking ( hoping) it was just the oil that came out while changing it. I didn't have time this morning to see if there is there was oil on the bottom of the filter or from the cooler area. I all check that when I get home tonight.   

rganz

• Senior CVO Member
  • Do Unto Others----First

• CVO1: 09 SERG
    • CVO2: Fat Boy
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 11:36:55 AM »

Sounds like you got yerself a honest to goodness  Harley Davidson Motorcycle there. :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:
Rob

serghaven

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 04:18:30 PM »

Well I put the bike up on the lift crawled under and noticed a small drip right on the bottom of the filter where it connects to the bike. I wiped it off and cleaned up the rest of the oil that was down there. I am now in the waiting stage to see if it starts to drip there again. Dam I wish I would have let the dealer do the oil change when it was in the shop like the wife said. Now I have to listen to her telling me how I should have listened to her. :-\

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 09:49:30 PM »

I Should Of Listened To The Mrs.  by SERGHAVEN                        

Have the Mrs buy you a service manual for fathers day. No need to over tighten a filter, wait till it's time to get it off, you should of listen to the mrs. Hope you solve your problem and enjoy your trip.  :2vrolijk_21: :jack:
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 09:35:45 AM »

I have had to tighten the filter more than hand tight on both 110 and the 131 or I seem to get a fine mist after awhile coming from the filter to adapter connection. On both motors the adapter is part of the engine where the 06 and older looks like the picture link on earlier post. I purchased one of those fancy billet ones from HP INC only to find out it wont work as the mount changed in 07

Page created in 0.783 seconds with 22 queries.