Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Evo Starter button  (Read 4386 times)

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
Evo Starter button
« on: June 25, 2010, 01:18:36 AM »

On my 95 Heritage I have an intermittent problem with my starter button. On occassion after the bike sits for a few days, (always on a battery tender), sometime I hit the starter button and nothing happens until maybe the second or third try. I have a completely  new charging system, battery, starter, starter relay etc. I have checked my voltage with multimeter, my battery is always over 13 volts and with the engine running with the spots on etc I am always over 14 volts even with the high beam and the spots on. Does anyone thing maybe my starter button is faulty, or needs to be cleaned etc. Any body else had this problem? Just looking for some comments. Thanks in advance. CAHDBIKER.(  I have made some earlier posts regarding problems with my S&S 107 engine. Those have all been corrected( under warranty) I have 12lbs oil pressure at idle when the oil is at operating temp and about 25 lbs at freeway speeds and the engine is quieter than my SE110. I am currently using Amsoil Synthetic 60 WT because I ride in a lot of hot weather and the Amsoil 60Wt synthetic is fully compatable with other synthetics or dino oil. )

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

screem

• Senior CVO Member
  • Ride Sober
Re: Evo Starter button
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 09:03:52 PM »

I too have a '95 softail with a starter button problem , that has been driven me crazy. If bikes sits for a couple days, it takes several stabs at the button before it will engage starter, and then it might disengage requiring several more attempts...once bike is warmed it starts real easy...hit button and it fires right off. ...one thing i have found that helps when bike has been sitting, is to turn on ignition switch...push bike out of garage...leave it sit for several minutes with switch on,,headlights and all...it will fire right up....i guess i need to break down and buy a new switch.
   At first i was thinking i had a starter issue...but after carefully watching how it starts..ie hot/cold...i have come to belive the problem is with the handle bar switch
   As for oil pressure..when bike is red hot and sitting at a trafic light...it runs down to about 5 lbs,,,20-25 under throttle...motor has 47000 miles on it...mild cam, Jims roller lifters , SE ignition and a S&S carb...never an oil leak or base gaskets, the motor is quiet and tight :2vrolijk_21:....i have run this bike hard...it is set up with apes and jockey shift with suicide clutch...upswept fishtail exhaust, and an old style round oil bag...50's style flames
2000 FLTRSEI
1995 Fatboy... Apes, Foot Clutch,Jockey Shift 6Gal Tanks/Flames
 RIDE SOBER

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 11:00:28 PM »

Just for grins spray electrical contact cleaner in the switch housing to clean the switch.  Probably won't help but it might, and it can't hurt.  A quick spritz in the switches is part of my spring service each year.

Intermittent failure of the starter to engage at all is also potentially a starter or solenoid issue.  Open spot in the armature that just occasionally gets stopped on.  Maybe, maybe not.  But you'll likely change a starter as the last thing you try to narrow it down.  

A cheaper troubleshooting repair would be the solenoid though.  Harley has jacked the cost of the solenoid repair kits way up there (can remember when they were commonly used and $7.00; gawd I'm old).  Now they're over $50.  Still relatively cheap in the aftermarket though.  Here's an eBay seller offering for $20.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120392682514

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 12:59:45 AM »

I too have a '95 softail with a starter button problem , that has been driven me crazy. If bikes sits for a couple days, it takes several stabs at the button before it will engage starter, and then it might disengage requiring several more attempts...once bike is warmed it starts real easy...hit button and it fires right off. ...one thing i have found that helps when bike has been sitting, is to turn on ignition switch...push bike out of garage...leave it sit for several minutes with switch on,,headlights and all...it will fire right up....i guess i need to break down and buy a new switch.
   At first i was thinking i had a starter issue...but after carefully watching how it starts..ie hot/cold...i have come to belive the problem is with the handle bar switch
   As for oil pressure..when bike is red hot and sitting at a trafic light...it runs down to about 5 lbs,,,20-25 under throttle...motor has 47000 miles on it...mild cam, Jims roller lifters , SE ignition and a S&S carb...never an oil leak or base gaskets, the motor is quiet and tight :2vrolijk_21:....i have run this bike hard...it is set up with apes and jockey shift with suicide clutch...upswept fishtail exhaust, and an old style round oil bag...50's style flames
Screem, on the occasion that I have to hit the starter button two or three times to get it to turn the starter  over it always stays running. And since my entire charging system is new including the starter and starter relay and battery I think I will try to clean  the starter button contacts if I can get to them. I did check the HD dealer today and the original part is obsolete, so I would have to order a new switch from Drag Specialties ($19.00) thru HD dealer. The only drag about that is that I think if you replace the switch( the starter switch and the engine stop run switch come as a pair) you have to cut the wires and solder the new switch wires. Not a big deal,  but I just hope i can get clean the contacts instead. I will make a post when I fix it. CAHDBIKER

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 01:05:12 AM »

Just for grins spray electrical contact cleaner in the switch housing to clean the switch.  Probably won't help but it might, and it can't hurt.  A quick spritz in the switches is part of my spring service each year.

Intermittent failure of the starter to engage at all is also potentially a starter or solenoid issue.  Open spot in the armature that just occasionally gets stopped on.  Maybe, maybe not.  But you'll likely change a starter as the last thing you try to narrow it down.  

A cheaper troubleshooting repair would be the solenoid though.  Harley has jacked the cost of the solenoid repair kits way up there (can remember when they were commonly used and $7.00; gawd I'm old).  Now they're over $50.  Still relatively cheap in the aftermarket though.  Here's an eBay seller offering for $20.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120392682514
Twolanerider, Thanks for the tip on cleaning the contacts I will try and get in there and clean things up before I replace anything because of the fact that when you replace the switch you have to cut the wires and do some soldering( according to my 95 service manuel ) which is no big deal but it would be nice if you could just plug a new switch in.CAHDBIKER

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 01:07:07 AM »

Twolanerider, Thanks for the tip on cleaning the contacts I will try and get in there and clean things up before I replace anything because of the fact that when you replace the switch you have to cut the wires and do some soldering( according to my 95 service manuel ) which is no big deal but it would be nice if you could just plug a new switch in.CAHDBIKER

Simple solutions are always worth a shot.  Hold a rag under and behind.  Then spray the hell out of it.  It's surprising how much crap you can get out of a switch housing sometimes.  Chasing it with a little compressed air sometimes helps too.

screem

• Senior CVO Member
  • Ride Sober
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 03:10:15 PM »

Finally got around to taking the starter button  switch apart this past weekend, got some Electro-term spray. Wrapped an old towel around the handlebar and switch area....sprayed the chit out of it...a ton of gunk and crap came out. Put back together and the problem is gone...priceless!!! :orange:
2000 FLTRSEI
1995 Fatboy... Apes, Foot Clutch,Jockey Shift 6Gal Tanks/Flames
 RIDE SOBER

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 03:28:26 PM »

Finally got around to taking the starter button  switch apart this past weekend, got some Electro-term spray. Wrapped an old towel around the handlebar and switch area....sprayed the chit out of it...a ton of gunk and crap came out. Put back together and the problem is gone...priceless!!! :orange:

That's good news.  Excellent when problems are simple.  Now go ride it!

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 21 queries.