Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ride quality  (Read 2919 times)

navyvb

• CVO1: 2007 SERK Razor Red
ride quality
« on: July 01, 2010, 03:17:44 PM »

Im looking at a 2007 FXSTSSE and would like some feedback on longer rides, two up. I see alot of different options with bags or windshields. If you have those on your ride, any feedback as well would be great. My dad and brother both have Heritage Springers, but live in Nebraska, so Ive never ridden a springer. They both swear by it of course. I have a 08 Street Bob and was sold on getting a 07 FLHRSSE3 Road King, and now I'm so sure since I have seen the Springer at a dealer.

thanks

GaLonghair

• Full CVO Member
    • GA

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2019 CVO Road Glide
Re: ride quality
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 05:03:53 PM »

I have owned both of the bikes you are considering. The SERK is a much better ride for really long rides (over 300 miles) in one day. The springer is comfortable for medium distances, but was not really built for touring. I have gone about 350 miles max in one day on tne springer and enjoyed it, but was ready to get off. Plus, even with saddle bags and sissy bar pack you can only carry so much. With the SERK and a tourpack you can carry much more. Remember, the classic springers were intended to be basic touring machines. The CVO spinger was not.
Lead, follow or get out of the way. But, do something!

navyvb

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 05:41:02 PM »

thanks,
I really don't see myself going that far yet, the new wife loves hanging on but not that far. We did a day trip to Sedona AZ from Chandler AZ on the Street Bob, about 250 round trip and were tired! How is the handling? Ive heard its great with the weight of the front.

GaLonghair

• Full CVO Member
    • GA

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 05:53:50 PM »

The handling of the H-D springer front end is very good. I had no complaints with the handling of my bike (the '07). Have no experience with the newer ones with the fatter front tire and wider back tire. I think your wife will find the SERK a more comfortable ride as it is a touring bike.....JMHO! More room and with a back rest or a tour pack better back support and a more stable position.

navyvb

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 06:01:20 PM »

I really like the SERK too! Dang it! Im looking for the Blue one there, but its a little hard to find out west. A dealer here has the red SERK but the want 25K for it, seems pricey! Another Dealer has the CVO Springer for 19K, and says he knows a guy who wants to sell his 07 SERK.

We like to ride out to a couple lakes and it has a lot of twisties on the way, but mostly we ride around the valley area. Sucks right now its 111 degrees out so I have to get up at 6 when its 93!!!

thanks for the info. If I get the Springer, I would get some bags to put on if we needed some storage or get a T-Bag I think.

wolfman

• Senior CVO Member
  • serg
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 06:05:42 PM »

I rented a springer in San Diego a few years ago. I would never buy one. Not if you ride more than 50-100 miles at a clip.
SERT, V&H Power Duels, SE mufflers, Dyno-tuned , Heavy Breather, Corbin Solo , windsplitter windshield , J&M 250w amp/7.25" speakers.

GaLonghair

• Full CVO Member
    • GA

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 07:28:33 PM »

I had the Razor Red one. Traded it for the Street Glide. Still miss it sometimes! Fair price for one with low miles and no damage in stock condition here is $22K give or take. Modifications can add or subtract. Good luck, you can't go wrong either way. :2vrolijk_21:

harlee79

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 10:56:23 PM »

As was noted above, the CVO springer isn't for long distance touring(although it can be done).  The Heritages that your buddies have are the best of both worlds when it comes to touring and a springer.  That said, the baggers are deffinately going to be a solid long distance riding machines built for comfort.  All that practicality goes out the window once you've ridden somthing with springs, it just screams Harley and makes me smile to watch them move as I roll down the road.  Obviously I'm biased, but if your not doing heavy touring your going to be really happy with any springer, go to any rally and see what people stop to take a second look at :)  .  Good luck.

2009 FXSTSSE3 -Screaming Eagle Springer
2003 FLSTSI - Heritage Springer

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 11:06:16 AM »

I think your deciding factor here is that you wrote "two up"
I ride my 07 springer long distance quite often and am quite used to it, any high speed buffeting doesnt worry me! My wife has an 09 STREET GLIDE and she is still trying to solve her wind buffeting problems which she gets from the batwing, she is previously used to riding a nighttrain without screen with no problems.

from the BSR point of view, the Springer seat is very uncomfortable even for a short ride, so another/better seat for her will be your first priority purchase!

I dont ride with a screen, I am 5`6" and find the rider seating position is quite low, the head lamp sticking out there in the wind appears to deflect much of the wind and bugs away from me, I rode on a 3day trek 2500km with a friend on a heritage, he had to clean the bugs off of his screen several times but I had hardly any dead bugs on my jacket.
I dont know if any screen would help the passenger at all as there head position would be higher than the riders
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 01:55:07 AM by ice6900 »

seltaeb

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2010, 12:05:17 AM »

Springers are the coolest feeling ride I have ever been on!! probally long distance you would want the bagger, but why get a Cadillac when you can have a corvette!!! I am just not old enough to settle for the wide glide yet. ha ha!! just turned 50 years young...... :pineapple:

RPR50

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: '10 SESG Spiced Rum
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2010, 07:43:44 AM »

I own an '08 Springer and just bought a SESG  (Spiced Rum).  Got about 800 miles on the Street Glide.  Have 11,000+ on the Springer. 

My Springer is a grin.  It's "point and shoot".  It's a rocket.  I love the way you sit "down and in".  I've ridden 1,000 miles over 9 days on the bike on one major trip and 500+/750+ on 2/3 day trips.  Comfortable limit for me is 250 miles in a day.  I've got a 14" windvest windscreen and the original seat.  Less buffetting than w/o a windshield, but still quite a bit.  At some level, that's part of the ride.  I put a T-Bag on a sissy bar when I travel overnight on the Springer.  Day trips I ride w/o the TBag, so you're limited to what you wear and carry in your pockets.

Street Glide is like riding in a big torque high performance sedan.  Comfortable.  Roomy.  Still lot's get up and go.  Completely different ride. Put about 400 miles on yesterday, and could've gone a few 100 more.  Good part in the twisties.  What they say about the frame redesign is true.  Handled like a champ.  Twisties were fun.

Fairing makes a big difference.  Doesn't take all the wind out of the ride (wouldn't want that), but smooths it plenty, especially compared to the Springer.   Bags are a real convenience.  Rain gear.  Tools.  Water.  All the backup stuff I pack on a longer trip (oil), you can take on regular trips. 

Two more points about the SESG.  Radio and cruse controle.  With the Springer, you ride in solitude.  That's the point at some level.  But a long ride can get pretty quiet after awhile.  I'm enjoying the SESG radio.  Cruise control.  What a delight.  I've riddern those 11,000+ miles on my Springer all with my right hand on the throttle.  Cruise is a real convenience.   (I tried but never really liked the mechanical thumb screw on the Springer).

My wife doesn't ride on my bike (good and bad, there), but if I were routinely riding two up, I'd go for the SG or another HD touring bike.  The Springer is a one-seat sport car, IMO.  You can take a passenger short trips around town, but the SG is the better combination of grins and comfort for two people. 

In the event, you' can't go wrong. Buy what winds your stem. 

Good luck.

Page created in 0.684 seconds with 22 queries.