Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2011 FLSTSE Thoughts....  (Read 3312 times)

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE CVO Softail Convertible
2011 FLSTSE Thoughts....
« on: July 27, 2010, 01:38:11 PM »

There's a lot to like on the 2011 and a lot to dislike. On brief inspection here are my initial thoughts:

Like:
- ABS
- Cruise Control
- Speakers in fairing with iPod connector
- More room in the saddle bags

Dislike:
- Handlebars - mini-apes do not look right at all (IMHO) and would be the first to go
- Winshield looks to be the ineffective same size & shape as the 2010. *sigh*
- Color schemes. At first glance nothing really appealed to me
- Saddle Bags - although they are bigger they seemed clunky and stick out too far
- Alligator Inserts - now I am all for harvesting animals for the pretty and tasty bits but I am not crazy about the way the new seats look. I'll have to see them in person.

The overall look of the new ConV is different enough that for me the dislikes outweigh the likes. I am glad I have my 2010 and once the parts become available I can add some the things I like to mine. The fairing with speaker combination is one of the first things I am going to look at. Hopefully the outer shell is the same size and can be swapped so the color matches.

ABS is interesting and I have never been in a situation when I needed it. I am sure that every rider that has had to use it was glad it was there. It will be interesting to see how many parts need to be swapped for implement this. My guess is that it might wind up being an extensive upgrade that may be too cost prohibitive.

If I read the cruise control spec properly it uses the electronic throttle which is a fly by wire system (no cables) and that IS an extensive upgrade. Honestly there have only been a few times I would like to have had CC but those are only when I needed to use my use right hand at speed. Again a nice to have but not critical.

It will be interesting to learn more about these new features as more infomation becomes available but so far I am happy with my 2010.

MikeV
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 01:43:06 PM by MikeV »
Fullsac 1.75" Baffles / TTS / Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads / H-D LED Headlight / CeeBailey Windshield

meatalplate

Re: 2011 FLSTSE Thoughts....
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 04:43:05 PM »

I think the handlebars are a bit off and the bags are to square and the stereo is cheesy. If this was the first Covertable it would not have caught my eye and the colors eh I just not feeling it. I think they over thought the changes.

Just my first imprestion  :nixweiss:

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 05:01:11 PM »

I just read they also are using a keyless iginition setup..

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 FLSTFSE (Platinum)
    • CVO2: 10 FLHXSE (Teq Sun)
    • CVO3: 10 FLSTSE (Scarlet)
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 10:16:04 PM »

1/2" shorter, taller passenger backrest, 50lbs heavier, 2 less Ft lbs torque and more expensive?

:nixweiss:

Wifey says...  Naaaaa, she'll keep hers.

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
  • keep the rubber side down
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 10:22:52 PM »

yea  iam with you wiz also ...ill keep my bike save the difference in price
2010 CVO Convertible  crimson red sunglo/Autumn Haze with Metal Grind Graphics
2014 113  motor 10.8 compression
SAE smoothing #5  125.7 hp / 122.9 tq
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

ezpgh

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 06:50:11 AM »

It is 1/4 shorter because of a rear fender ajustment. 30 pounds heavier due to the ABS and speakers. But what I really want to know is how they gained .6 inch ground clearance with the same wheels and tires and yet the seat height and lean angle has not changed. I suspect smaller shocks since they are the lowest thing to the ground. I really do like the bars and FBW. Much cleaner look without throttle cables. They can keep the cruise, if I want to tour i'd still have an Ultra. They can keep the ABS, I like to actually stop when I apply the brakes. They can keep the speakers, I don't like the looks with them and wouldn't hear them anyway and if I really wanted them I would have added them myself already. I guess since it is FBW you can activate or deactivate the IETMS which is a good thing. All in all I wont lose any sleep over the changes but I will dream about those bars and FBW.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 09:34:09 AM by ezpgh »

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 FLSTFSE (Platinum)
    • CVO2: 10 FLHXSE (Teq Sun)
    • CVO3: 10 FLSTSE (Scarlet)
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 05:11:51 PM »

« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 05:22:45 PM by Mr. Wizard »

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
  • keep the rubber side down
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 09:06:55 PM »

hey wiz like the 2nd video near the end when the guy smokes the rear on the convertible
2010 CVO Convertible  crimson red sunglo/Autumn Haze with Metal Grind Graphics
2014 113  motor 10.8 compression
SAE smoothing #5  125.7 hp / 122.9 tq
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 21 queries.