Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: 96" big bore/stroker setup anyone?  (Read 30731 times)

Pajoe

Re: 96" big bore/stroker setup anyone?
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2010, 03:42:47 PM »

I think you will be happy with the improvements....

TomL

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2011, 12:13:27 PM »

My advice would be leave the stock cases out of the equation! Since you will have to have the spigot holes for the cylinders bored out to accomodate the larger bore cyls. Go with STD/S&S cases already to accept the 3 5/8 bore. Post 88 bikes have the new gear reduction starter so comp release most like would be a waste unless you are well above 10.5:1 which isn't too practical for a street bike on the junk gas these days. Do the proper tweaks to the heads, performance carb and exhaust first. If you have the need to tinker with a tunable ignition go for it. The rubber mounted set ups had a tendency to crack the inner primary also so consider the support that is made to mount between the trans end cover and the cam cover. Also be sure you torque the inner primary to the motor/trans before torqing any other motor/trans screws. Break in properly and then yeee haaa, hold on tight when you twist the wick!  TL

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2011, 01:19:50 PM »

Finally decided to go with the 80" evo hop-up build. One factor was  cost.  It would be more cost effective to go with an aftermarket engine such as Ultima El Bruto 107" or more if I wanted to go with more displacement.  Plus, the evo now has barely 5K miles on it and it seems wrong to not get more out of it.

An 80" Evo, with a Wood 6, @ 10:1 cr WILL show 80 hp and 90 ft/lbs MINIMUM.
Normal riding will have your fuel economy way up as well. :)
Scott

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2011, 10:40:32 AM »

IF YOU ARE GOING TO STROKE IT, STROKE THE DAMN THING

:bananarock:  

Regards,

Tim
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 10:47:13 AM by FXR2evo99 »

lucille

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2011, 03:27:26 PM »

IF YOU ARE GOING TO STROKE IT, STROKE THE DAMN THING.......  

Regards,Tim

That 'big' baby may be on a 1" throw crank........ ;D........stroke?.... :P
'92 FXRS Lowrider.....
'91 FXRT.....113 S&S...6 speed

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2011, 06:37:38 AM »

Finally decided to go with the 80" evo hop-up build. One factor was  cost.  It would be more cost effective to go with an aftermarket engine such as Ultima El Bruto 107" or more if I wanted to go with more displacement.  Plus, the evo now has barely 5K miles on it and it seems wrong to not get more out of it.

It's been awhile now.
How did you make out??
Scott

JamesButler

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2011, 08:11:38 PM »

Scott,
Thanks for asking.  I decided to hop up the 80" Evo rather than bore and stroke it to 96".  I went with a mechanic named Mike Magaro out of Harrisburg, PA (about 90 miles away from me).  He did the work over the winter.  Mike was recommended to me by a few people, and I was very pleased with his work.  He sent the heads out to Jim Libonati at MegaFlow. Since the build, I've only put a little over 2K miles on the it, but there have been no issues.  I have not yet dynoed the bike, so I can't give any hp/tq numbers,  but there is a noticeably great feeling of increased power, pull and FUN shifting thru the gears from idle to 90-95 mph. Messing around on the local interstate, I've gotten it up to 105 mph, but from 97 to 105 takes some distance/time.  Suppose though, if it accelerated from 90 to 115 mph as quickly as it does from 70 to 95mph, then I would enjoy that as well.  It had some left at 105, I'm guessing to @ 110-115 mph max, but I caught up to traffic and had to back off.  I see the Ultima 127" in one of Magaro's FXR's, and I do wonder what the ride would be like on it. Anyway, here are most of the specs on the 80" hop-up build Magaro did,

KB 9.5:1 Pistons
Adjustable Pushrods
V-Thunder 3000 Cam (my choice not his) 
S&S Super E Carb, switched petcock/new throttle cable
K&N Air Filter
Heads by MegaFlow
SuperTrapp SuperMeg 2 into 1 Exhaust

Pajoe

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2011, 03:58:34 PM »

James,

I was at the Autozone store  near Magaro's the other day and thought about you. I am glad everything worked out well, and I bet you have a more reliable engine then if you had bought an Ultima big inch crate engine.   I might contact Mike to do some work on our Ultima engine, but it won't be until it's too cold too ride. A few years ago I had different indy shop do the top end; along with some performance upgrades to our 80" and the  work was OK. However, even though we planned on it not taking more than 3 weeks, it took about 5 weeks and this was during our favorite riding weather in the fall.

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2012, 09:42:57 AM »

I bought A S&S V111. It has a 4.125" bore and stroke with 585 can . Runs/starts great!  Put in my 2000 FXR4
CVO, Rivera-Primo 6 speed and a Barnett Scorpion Clutch. Custom S.S. 2 into 1 collector with stepped headers.Love it! Over10k miles so far in 8 months of riding.
Ltank

Shovelhead

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FXDSE, SERT, SE Heavy Breather, V & H Big Radius 2 into 1, S&S 585 gear-driven cams, Rivera tapered adjustable pushrods, H-D Oil cooler, Baker DD7, SE Compensator, SOHB Wedge Tensioner
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2012, 04:54:23 PM »

Go all bore / no stroke on your Evo
.....started off having a great day this morning,had not been lied to or treated like a fool, then I visited an H-D dealer service dept
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 21 queries.