Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13

Author Topic: Instructions for the new GPS Interface Module  (Read 44091 times)

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: Instructions for the new GPS Interface Module
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2010, 08:38:00 AM »

I ordered one Friday.  Should be installing it next time I'm home in 2 weeks.  From what I see in the instructions, I highly doubt any problem with using any GPS with an audio output.  Just to be sure, after I install, before I button up, I'll try with both my nuvi 750 and my iPod.  I'd bet the iPod will work, just not be stereo.

If you look at the hookup you will see that you can use your GPS (with the kit installed) to listen to XM (if you have the antenna) or MP3 songs. The audio output is paralleled to the kit's trigger input on the module and the AUX input on the radio.

This is what has me thinking that the 660 & 665 GPS might generate (I do not have a scope any more to check the signal) a trigger signal of some kind just before a turn prompt is sent that the kit recognizes and triggers the radio to switch to the HFM audio input, disabling all other radio audio functions (AM, FM, CD, etc).

It almost has to because if it was just being triggered by an audio signal then it would trigger when you were listening to the XM or MP3 songs and that simply does not make sense the way it is wired into the radio.

I am more of a tech guy and at times I have a difficult time explaining myself when it comes to electronics so I hope you get my drift.

I am getting more curious by the minute.
Ride It Like You Are Retired

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUTG
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2010, 09:33:41 AM »

I have a Zumo, not a Road Tech. I'll be installing this kit in 2 weeks and plan on checking the input with my Zumo, a Nuvi and an iPod.

Twistedrider

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2010, 10:18:03 AM »

If you look at the hookup you will see that you can use your GPS (with the kit installed) to listen to XM (if you have the antenna) or MP3 songs. The audio output is paralleled to the kit's trigger input on the module and the AUX input on the radio.

This is what has me thinking that the 660 & 665 GPS might generate (I do not have a scope any more to check the signal) a trigger signal of some kind just before a turn prompt is sent that the kit recognizes and triggers the radio to switch to the HFM audio input, disabling all other radio audio functions (AM, FM, CD, etc).

It almost has to because if it was just being triggered by an audio signal then it would trigger when you were listening to the XM or MP3 songs and that simply does not make sense the way it is wired into the radio.

I am more of a tech guy and at times I have a difficult time explaining myself when it comes to electronics so I hope you get my drift.

I am getting more curious by the minute.

Looks to me like the input to the module from the Y cable is MONO - so if you play the MP3/XM without switching to the AUX input (Stereo) then you would hear the MP3/XM in mono overriding the AM/FM/CD input.
I think they expect you to switch to the AUX input for voice prompts and stereo MP3/XM.

Of course it's all speculation until someone puts some hard earned cash down for one....

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2010, 12:29:02 PM »

Who will be the first....

All you need is a mono signal to the kit for switching. The cable may be constucted for stereo with a mono pig tail for the kit input. Does not make sense that they would turn a stereo output into a mono output for the Aux input.

At least that is what my quess is because the more I think about it and the way it is wired this kit is looking more and more like my prototype......Darn and I wanted to be the first....LOL

If it is like my prototype then $149.00 is about $50 more then I could make them for.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2010, 10:28:20 PM »

I ordered the kit friday ($120 @ dealer with discount). If it gets here tomorrow I will install it wednesday and try to answer all the questions, otherwise it will be the 16th when I get back from Sturgis.
We'll see.

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2010, 10:39:20 PM »

Jim, I'd be the first to order & install if it would work with the BT module I already have. Problem is that I've already shelled out over $1K (two + units) for the 76408-06. Still very intrigued by it.

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2010, 07:30:09 AM »

Jim, I'd be the first to order & install if it would work with the BT module I already have. Problem is that I've already shelled out over $1K (two + units) for the 76408-06. Still very intrigued by it.

I do not think it would be a good functional kit if you already have the Harley BT module installed. The reason would be that they both use the same input to the radio. There are two problems that I can see. The first is feedback from one device into the other. If the Zumo has an active turn prompt you would feed the signal not only into the radio, which is designed for an input signal but you would also be feeding that signal into the output circuit of the Nav kit, which is not designed for an input signal. Feeding a signal into a circuit that is designed as an output circuit may damage one or both of the units. You would also change the output signals caracteristics by having the other output circuit tied to it.

The other problem would be if you were on the phone and a turn prompt came through from the Zumo. I think all you would hear is gibberish if both outputs were active at the same time.

Without isolation I just do not think it would be wise to connect both.

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2010, 04:20:36 PM »

I ordered the kit friday ($120 @ dealer with discount). If it gets here tomorrow I will install it wednesday and try to answer all the questions, otherwise it will be the 16th when I get back from Sturgis.
We'll see.

Dealer is telling me 2-3 weeks for this and an iPod interface.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2010, 06:21:52 PM »

Not sure why dealer told you 2 - 3 weeks, I ordered mine thurs and got it today (tuesday). Going to try and install it tonite.

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2010, 08:14:03 PM »

Now I'm wondering if the MoCo will offer this free of charge to all of the 999 2010 SEUC owners as a show of remorse for not having had this completed before they released the bike. Someone really screwed up on this one.

Trey767

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2010, 12:15:08 PM »

Has any one installed this kit yet? I just got it so, I'll do the install this weekend, I road a week ago and the temp was 100 outside  :-\. So i'll stay in the garage doing the install. I know down south is Africa hot this weekend also.

For those who have experienced the joy, no explanation is necessary; for those who have not, no explanation is possible.

Hogtunes Front/Rear speakers
Fullsac 2.5 cores
J&M 250 Amp
Hawg Wired 6.5 lowers
Ride Time LED lights
Dakota digital dash gauges
Saddlebag extensions
Clearview windshield/vent
BigSky oil cooler fan
HD rear Envelope LED's
Zumo 665

Trey767

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2010, 08:17:45 PM »

Anyone did the stall on the Navigation Integrated Module (NIM)? I'm having issues with my install  :nixweiss: It doesn't work  :oops:

For those who have experienced the joy, no explanation is necessary; for those who have not, no explanation is possible.

Fullsac 2.5 cores
J&M 250 Amp
Hawg Wired 6.5 lowers
Ride Time LED lights
Saddlebag extensions
BigSky oil cooler fan
HD rear Envelope LED's
Zumo 665

FLHTCUSE3 Erling

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Wife
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2010, 10:13:44 PM »

Did you upgrade your Zumo 660 software to 3.70 or later first?
Ride safe!

2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey Fade (Sold May 2021)
2017 FLHTKSE (Sold Apr 2021)
2014 FLSTNSE (Sold Sep 2018)
2014 FLHTKSE (Sold Apr 2018)
2012 FLHTCUSE7 (Sold Jul 2014)
2009 FLHTCUSE4 (Sold Mar 2020)
2008 FLHTCUSE3 (Sold Jul 2011)
2003 FLHTCUI (Sold Apr 2008)
2003 FLHRCI (Sold Feb 2007)
1998 FLSTS (Sold Sep 2005)

Trey767

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2010, 05:52:36 AM »

My 660 last update is 3.90. If I'm right, this mod. allows the 660 to voice through the speaker now? regardless of the selected mode i.e. FM/AM/XM/AUX?

Fullsac 2.5 cores
J&M 250 Amp
Hawg Wired 6.5 lowers
Ride Time LED lights
Saddlebag extensions
BigSky oil cooler fan
HD rear Envelope LED's
Zumo 665

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2010, 07:47:49 AM »

That's what it's supposed to do. What is it doing?  Do you have a regular 660 or a Road Tech?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 21 queries.