Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13

Author Topic: Instructions for the new GPS Interface Module  (Read 44147 times)

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus
    • CVO2: FLSTFSE2 Wife's bike
Re: Instructions for the new GPS Interface Module
« Reply #150 on: August 26, 2010, 08:46:56 PM »

FINAL CHAPTER ON MY NIM INSTALL!!!!  I tried to change the 19 and 31 pins, but it did not work. The radio would mute when the prompts were given, but I could hear no voice prompts. It did work just fine in aux mode. I found the problem was that my rocker switch on the dash by the ignition switch was in the mid position, which sends radio (and Zumo) thru speakers, but does not allow cb thru speakers (cb goes thru headphones in this mode). That is the position I have always used unless I am wearing ear phones. I pushed the switch to the bottom position, and guess what  ---- IT WORKS LIKE ADVERTISED. Four hours waisted yesterday, and it was actually fixed after switching 19 and 31. I just never thought about the rocker switch until Trey mentioned that earlier today.  WAY TO GO TREY. Thanks to everyone that helped on this. Next time I am in Wisconsin, I'll throw a brick thru the corporate office window of the person that wrote the instructions.   :2vrolijk_21:

Trey767

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #151 on: August 26, 2010, 09:31:28 PM »

2harley, I'm just getting back in town, I just read your post. I'm glad I could help, no one should go through the stress I did. All the help I got for this forum, I'm glad i can pay it forward. :bananarock:

For those who have experienced the joy, no explanation is necessary; for those who have not, no explanation is possible.

Hogtunes Front/Rear speakers
Fullsac 2.5 cores
J&M 250 Amp
Hawg Wired 6.5 lowers
Ride Time LED lights
Dakota digital dash gauges
Saddlebag extensions
Clearview windshield/vent
BigSky oil cooler fan
HD rear Envelope LED's
Zumo 665

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #152 on: August 27, 2010, 07:35:37 AM »

He means check your speaker switch. If it is in the speaker position the light on the switch will be on.
Ride It Like You Are Retired

robertflc

« Reply #153 on: September 04, 2010, 09:58:45 AM »

Hi Gang... my dealer installed this module on my new road glide with my 665, but can't get it to work.  H-D wasn't apparently a lot of help either.  The radio won't recognize that the 665 is installed/active... no sound through the speakers. 

The tech mentioned that there was a "y" cable that he (and they) couldn't figure out what to do with, but neither of us could understand why you needed it anyway, as it was going to the input of the module, not the output (so routing that to the aux port on the front -- which would defeat the purpose of the module anyway -- didn't make sense).  The instructions mention about if you want to listen to music, etc., you need it, but since the 665 is an all-in-one (and ALL the audio comes out the "audio out" cable, don't see why that's needed (and no place to hook it up anyway). 

Anything obvious we're missing?  The radio reports "no NAV installed" when you push the nav button and there's no "aux" source to select in the display either. 

Thanks!

Trey767

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #154 on: September 04, 2010, 10:18:45 AM »

From what I know the Nav soft key only work if the GPS is install in the radio, things to check

Read all the posts you can see how I fought through this mod.

Make sure the nav has a destination and the volume is up on the 665

The Y connection is for the aux mode if you put the radio in AUX you should hear the MP3 on the zumo

Trey

For those who have experienced the joy, no explanation is necessary; for those who have not, no explanation is possible.

Hogtunes Front/Rear speakers
Fullsac 2.5 cores
J&M 250 Amp
Hawg Wired 6.5 lowers
Ride Time LED lights
Dakota digital dash gauges
Saddlebag extensions
Clearview windshield/vent
BigSky oil cooler fan
HD rear Envelope LED's
Zumo 665

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #155 on: September 04, 2010, 01:34:53 PM »

So glad I read thru all 11 pages. I hope the rocker switched all the way down will resolve the problem on my new Ruse!

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=53495.msg777423#msg777423

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #156 on: September 04, 2010, 01:55:06 PM »

He means check your speaker switch. If it is in the speaker position the light on the switch will be on.
So you cannot use your headset and hear the gps instructions thru the NIM?  Have to have the speakers on?

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #157 on: September 04, 2010, 03:03:59 PM »

Also, is it supposed to play the MP3's WITHOUT the front AUX cord or not?

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUTG
« Reply #158 on: September 04, 2010, 05:07:09 PM »

The NIM module is for spoken commands ONLY.  If you want music, you have to use the AUX cable.

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #159 on: September 04, 2010, 05:32:11 PM »

The NIM module is for spoken commands ONLY.  If you want music, you have to use the AUX cable.

Gotcha! Hence, the Ipod in the saddle bag! Did check mine out and with the speaker switch all the way down (with light on) the GPS commands came thru loud and clear! Sometimes you just can't see the forest for the trees huh?

blkcvo

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE5B #451 OF 999
« Reply #160 on: September 10, 2010, 08:30:44 AM »

Harley tried to install the NIM in my bike couldn't get it to work they changed the pins they say its the Hawg wired Amp. I mentioned the speaker switch and the tech says he thinks he tried that but by that time he had given up and put the bike back together. Has anyone gotten this to work with an after market amp in the fairing if so I will buy the part and do it myself.
Thanks

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus
    • CVO2: FLSTFSE2 Wife's bike
« Reply #161 on: September 11, 2010, 06:47:29 PM »

I had mine all hooked up and working properly. After riding for about 20 minutes, my sound kept fading and then going back to normal. When the sound faded, my stereo would not change modes. It showed it was changing on the screen, but stayed on the same song. Also when the sound faded and I tried to increase volume, it said "phone volume" on my stereo screen. When the sound would go back to normal, the stereo screen would just say "volume". This happened when on AM- FM-XM-CD AND ZUMO mp3 modes. I had to shut off the zumo to "reset", then everything would work good for another 10 or 15 minutes. I did dissable my bluetooth, but that made no difference. I just now pulled fairing and disconnected the NIM and now everything works good again. I do not know if this is a bad NIM or something that is not compatible with my Harmon Kardon. Mine is now disconnected, and it will stay that way. I have burned myself out on this POS. Guess I will just have to put up with a bad NIM from Harley along with the pulsating ABS brakes that Harley can not figure out, and the lifter noise at 2800 RPM that is perfectly "normal". I think the broken heated grips might be something they will be able to fix on the next visit. I am sure not going to cry over a measly $150.00 that I spent on a $40.00 part from H.D. That is the cheapest thing that I have bought from them that did not work properly. :furious2:

blkcvo

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE5B #451 OF 999
« Reply #162 on: September 14, 2010, 03:20:12 PM »

Still like to know if anyone has used the NIM with an Amp. in the fairing. Harley says they can't get it to work because of the Amp.

IMAbadman

• Full CVO Member
  • 2008 Anniversary #551 FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #163 on: October 15, 2010, 11:04:07 AM »

OMG that was a painful read.... so confusing.   I thought the thread was about the Navigation Interface Module (NIM).  Half way through I was anticipating a cam install along with the IPOD and cellset.

Basically if you have the RoadTech branded Zumo 660/665 the Navigation Interface Module (NIM) will work properly.  Properly functioning meaning; navigation prompts will interrupt audio (AM/FM/CD/Aux) and play through the speakers.

Couple things to watch for…
Pins 19 to 31 and 31 to 19.  I guess this would depend on the revision of the installation instructions.
Position of the speaker switch.  Switch should be lit (down position as I recall).
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 11:21:48 AM by IMAbadman »

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #164 on: October 15, 2010, 03:28:03 PM »

OMG that was a painful read.... so confusing.   I thought the thread was about the Navigation Interface Module (NIM).  Half way through I was anticipating a cam install along with the IPOD and cellset.

Basically if you have the RoadTech branded Zumo 660/665 the Navigation Interface Module (NIM) will work properly.  Properly functioning meaning; navigation prompts will interrupt audio (AM/FM/CD/Aux) and play through the speakers.

Couple things to watch for…
Pins 19 to 31 and 31 to 19.  I guess this would depend on the revision of the installation instructions.
Position of the speaker switch.  Switch should be lit (down position as I recall).

here's the way mine works on my SEURG (NIM installed at the factory).  With the speaker switch in the forward (front end depressed), everything goes through the helmet speakers.  With the rocker switch in the mid position, music goes through external speakers; navigation, intercom, CB, bluetooth phone, all through helmet speaker.  With the Rocker switch in the rear position depressed, light on, everything, except CB and Intercom, goes through the external speakers, including nav prompts.  And yes, you do have to have the Road Tech Zumo 660 or 665.  The "generic" Garmin Zumo 660 or 665 will not work with the interface.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 21 queries.