Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Author Topic: Instructions for the new GPS Interface Module  (Read 44094 times)

Trey767

• Senior CVO Member
Re: Instructions for the new GPS Interface Module
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2010, 12:42:12 PM »

I have a road tech 660

For those who have experienced the joy, no explanation is necessary; for those who have not, no explanation is possible.

Hogtunes Front/Rear speakers
Fullsac 2.5 cores
J&M 250 Amp
Hawg Wired 6.5 lowers
Ride Time LED lights
Dakota digital dash gauges
Saddlebag extensions
Clearview windshield/vent
BigSky oil cooler fan
HD rear Envelope LED's
Zumo 665

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUTG
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2010, 12:47:13 PM »

Ok, I'd check what you've done, make sure everything is installed correctly.  I won't be doing my install until next weekend, but I don't have a Road Tech.  I was really hoping you did and it wasn't something goofy the MoCo did to prevent standard Zumo's from working.

Trey767

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2010, 12:57:20 PM »

IAW the instructions I only get voice in the AUX mode. The media on the 660 plays my MP3 and I get GPS instructions; but it's only in the AUX mode. I thought that with the NIM that GPS instructions would break through in any mode.

For those who have experienced the joy, no explanation is necessary; for those who have not, no explanation is possible.

Fullsac 2.5 cores
J&M 250 Amp
Hawg Wired 6.5 lowers
Ride Time LED lights
Saddlebag extensions
BigSky oil cooler fan
HD rear Envelope LED's
Zumo 665

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2010, 02:18:43 PM »

That's my understanding as well.  What good is the interface if it doesn't do that?  You could get voice instructions in Aux mode before.

Trey767

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2010, 02:24:58 PM »

Well I was using cell set before this, with the cell set you have to have head phones to get GPS instructions. That's good when I have a full face helmet or when it's not so hot. Summer I use a half face, and I like to play the radio through the speakers. So I would like to hear the GPS also.

Fullsac 2.5 cores
J&M 250 Amp
Hawg Wired 6.5 lowers
Ride Time LED lights
Saddlebag extensions
BigSky oil cooler fan
HD rear Envelope LED's
Zumo 665

jhleighjr

• CVO1: 2008 Anniversary FLHTCUSE3 221/1800
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2010, 03:44:00 PM »

I just installed the NIM and hooked everything up just as th HD instructions called for. Mine also doesn't work. Nothing at all except in the aux mode. Mine is NOT a road tech, mine is a normal 660. I have tried everything imaginable to get this thing to work with no luck.
Trey, if you get yours to work please let me know what the solutiuon is. I know if I go to HD with this problem the first thing they will say is that i need to purchase a road tech. There has to be a way to make this work.  My software version is also 3.90

jhleighjr

« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2010, 05:37:31 PM »

I just talked to a garmin tech suppoer rep about the NIM not working with a Zumo 660.
He told me that the software in the Road Tech was completely different that the 660.
I asked him if he could tell me the differences and he couldn't. I ask him if he could tell me if the Road Tech sent out an interruption prompt that the Zumo didn't. Again, he couldnt tell me. He said that the units are exactly the same except that the Road Tech had the dealer database. This contradicts what he daud about them having completely different software.
I have fiored off an e mail to the garmin enginering department asking them this question of whether the 660 will work with the NIM. I will let eveyone know the results of this

CVORick

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2010, 05:38:30 PM »

Was there a software update for the HK Radio in the update package?  I don't see how a wiring harness change can make the GPS interrupt other radio features unless you are on the AUX setting on your Radio.
TTS Mastertune - Doc's Performance Tuning
Supertrapp 2:1 Supermeg
HD Bluetooth BOMM
Zumo 590LM with TPMS
Motolights with LEDs'
Progressive 440HD Shocks & Monotube Fork cartridges
LED Headlight & Driving Lights from HD

jhleighjr

« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2010, 05:47:59 PM »

Rick,
No software update for the HK radio. The NIM os more than just a wiring harness. it has a module that gets wired into the existing harness. It takes power from the original radio harness and takes audio from the audio output of the zumo.
thre are 6 wiresin th NIM harness that get installed into the empty spaces on the 35 pin weather pack connector that plugs into the back of the radio. If there is an update that needs to be installed on the radio, the HD instructions said nothing about it.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2010, 06:01:25 PM »

I just installed the NIM and hooked everything up just as th HD instructions called for. Mine also doesn't work. Nothing at all except in the aux mode. Mine is NOT a road tech, mine is a normal 660. I have tried everything imaginable to get this thing to work with no luck.
Trey, if you get yours to work please let me know what the solutiuon is. I know if I go to HD with this problem the first thing they will say is that i need to purchase a road tech. There has to be a way to make this work.  My software version is also 3.90

If you have an audio source plugged in the aux jack in the front is that audio interrupted by the GPS audio?  Is it interrupted at all?  Or does the aux jack function at all if there is a GPS connected to the new kit.  Maybe there does not have "to be a way to get this to work."  Harley could have just screwed the pooch when writing the description of what the unit did. 

Wouldn't be the first time P&A install docs were inaccurate.  And since two of you are seeing the same behavior from two different installs using two different versions of the 660 you've pretty well isolated the GPS units and your installation efforts as not being the cause of the problem.

jhleighjr

« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2010, 06:16:55 PM »

Two lane,
Yes, everything works just like it did before I installed the NIM. There is music interruption if the music is coming from the Zumo's MP3 player. But no interrption if in any othr source setting. It works just as if the NIM is not even there.

CVORick

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2010, 06:19:07 PM »

Rick,
No software update for the HK radio. The NIM os more than just a wiring harness. it has a module that gets wired into the existing harness. It takes power from the original radio harness and takes audio from the audio output of the zumo.
thre are 6 wiresin th NIM harness that get installed into the empty spaces on the 35 pin weather pack connector that plugs into the back of the radio. If there is an update that needs to be installed on the radio, the HD instructions said nothing about it.
Thanks.  I appreciate your efforts and being a volunteer for everyone else who wants what you are trying to do.
TTS Mastertune - Doc's Performance Tuning
Supertrapp 2:1 Supermeg
HD Bluetooth BOMM
Zumo 590LM with TPMS
Motolights with LEDs'
Progressive 440HD Shocks & Monotube Fork cartridges
LED Headlight & Driving Lights from HD

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2010, 06:19:57 PM »

I'm not yet convinced.  The first person with a Road Tech might have a bad unit or a bad install.  The 2nd person might not be working because it's not a Road Tech.  I sure wish we could get this ironed out before I do my install this weekend though.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2010, 06:29:25 PM »

Two lane,
Yes, everything works just like it did before I installed the NIM. There is music interruption if the music is coming from the Zumo's MP3 player. But no interrption if in any othr source setting. It works just as if the NIM is not even there.

That's what I wondered.  Sounds like the kit is functioning like an added rear aux port that only overrides the front aux port.

While that is how it's actually functioning no one knows yet if that's how it's actually supposed to function (P&A descriptions notwithstanding) or if something else needs to be done.  Perhaps there's a software update on the horizon that they had in house for development but which isn't released for download yet?  Perhaps.....  well, there are lots or perhapses (sic).

Only thing you know for sure is that two of you working independently have been greeted with exactly the same results.  And that's both annoying and not promising. 

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2010, 06:48:41 PM »

OK, so I was intrigued by all this discussion so I went to look at the info about this device..

Road Tech™ Navigation Interface Module

Available exclusively for Harley-Davidson® Road Tech™ zumo Navigation Systems. The Navigation Interface Module will provide an integrated link between the fairing-mounted Advanced Audio Radio and a Road Tech™ zumo 660 or 665 GPS Navigator. When linked, the music volume will automatically drop when a GPS spoken command is detected, allowing you to hear the command through the radio speakers or the 7-pin communications-style headset. The module attaches directly to the radio, is concealed within the fairing, and does not require connection to the "AUX" input on the radio faceplate, allowing you to listen to a portable music device through your auxiliary input. Kit includes adaptor cable that permits stereo sound from the zu¯mo's internal MP3 player or XM® Radio.

IN-STORE PURCHASE ONLY Contact dealer for pricing and availability.

Fits '06-later Touring models equipped with the Advanced Audio system and a Road Tech™ zumo 660 GPS Navigator P/N 92115-09 or Road Tech™ zumo 665 GPS Navigator P/N 76000014. '06-later FLHX, FLTR, FLTRX, and FLHTC models and those not equipped with Wiring Harness P/N 70169-06 require the separate purchase of Connector Kit P/N 69200033. Does not fit with Advanced Audio Hands Free Cell Phone Kit P/N 76408-06.

MSRP US $149.95

The way I read what is in red and underlined doesn't say specifically that it will intergrate everything. I'm thinking more on the lines of what Don just suggested that it's just a fancy way of putting an Aux port in the back of the radio. When they say "music volume will automatically drop when a GPS spoken command is detected" I'm inclined to believe they are speaking of the music (MP3's) in the GPS playing which is no different then what it will do when plugged into the Aux port on front of radio. The only extra I see added w/this device is that now you will be able to hear the commands thru a headset ("7-pin communications-style headset" if your bike is equipped w/it. For those of you that have purchased this and are hoping for more I wish you luck as the specs are written just vague enough to make you think there should be more. :(

One other thing I noticed was they specifically say this device will only work w/the RoadTech Zumo's which I doubt that to be totally true as those of you w/the regular Zumo's have already shown it will work if I'm reading these specs right. :nixweiss:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 21 queries.